Hooray For Everything's Content

There have been 118 items by Hooray For Everything (Search limited from 17-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#807241 Kimber Lanning - News

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 29 September 2009 - 03:12 PM in The Shizz General Forum

word.

From the perspective of a musician i can see how this is a bummer but from the perspective of a working visual artist i am welcoming the change.

yes there are a lot of galleries in that area but the majority of those only show their collective member's works.

this opens the door for other venues to take advantage of the lost space and it opens the door for more artists to take advantage of phx's art scene.

it's a bummer yes. I've seen so many great shows at modified. but at least it's still functioning. it could just close and be another empty building on Roosevelt or it could have been sold to a high end condo developer or something horrendous.

I agree. As a music dude, I forget about the visual media folks, and I guesssssssssss it's just as valid, as (gulp) music.

I've just seen so much crap on the walls downtown that I've become immune to it....

#807239 Kimber Lanning - News

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 29 September 2009 - 03:08 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I looked over the new times comments---gah who has time to read all that?

I do understand being bummed when a favorite place closes down (Emerald Lounge RIP). But honestly, how many other places are there in a 10 mile radius that will host an indie show? The Trunkspace, The Ruby Room, The Phix, The Rhythm Room, The Ice House Tavern, The Lost Leaf & Paisley Violin. Were spoiled to have so many places & also in such a relatively close proximity.

Wow.

I so disagree.

I'll give you Trunk Space, because the people who run it are fucking amazing, & the Rhythm Room, um, because it's a real club, but that's it.

Sure man, anyone will HOST one, it's about having good booking & a room/PA that is of a professional quality.

We're not spoiled in that department. Hardly.

The Lost Leaf is a bar, with a PA. The ICEHOUSE is a bar with a PA. The Paisley Violin is cafe with a PA....

I can't think of one, real club down here...I mean let's not lower our standards that much, c'mon....

I mean, Christ, I have a PA & a backyard, but that don't mean I'm gonna pretend that it's an awesome place to have a show.

Even Modified wasn't awesome, not at all. It was a stinky room with a decent PA, damn good sound people & great booking.

It blows my mind how little we have in terms of infrastructure & how bent we all are on pretending that we've got something awesome going.

We have great bands & artists, I'll give you that. But as far as good, pro, small rock clubs, no fucking way. I'm talking standards here, like the Rhythm Room or Plush.

Sorry to be like that kid in the Emperors New Clothes....but I gotta call bullshit on this one.

I will say that Last Exit in Tempe could be cool, if the staff was cool & they had good booking & took down the stupid beertitty adverts on the wall.

But, alas, bad location.

I hate that just because we're Phoenix means we have to pretend that things are better here than they are....even Flagstaff has better places to play. let's be real.

#807225 Kimber Lanning - News

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 29 September 2009 - 02:33 PM in The Shizz General Forum

What I do like about the new owners is their commitment to high the high standards that Kimber established for Modified as a gallery. It seems most galleries will hang any crap that one of their buddies threw together.

I've known the new owner(s) for awhile, they're awesome.

There still will be some music, just a different kind of a thang.

It goes without saying that there will obviously be a even larger void in the downtown music community.

We have great bands down here, just no great venues.

#807143 Fuck I love The Seeds

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 29 September 2009 - 12:33 PM in The Shizz General Forum

yeahhhhhh...we did a Sky/Seeds memorial show that night at the Bikini...about 10 people were into it...40 not so much..

#803013 what bands

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 06:19 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Just saw JoJo a couple months ago...

#802954 new bands

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 04:25 PM in The Shizz General Forum

lets all be friends, if all new bands start being supportive with each other we can end all this mean stuff

My newest baby is formed from a few of the guys from Yukon Ho! called Instructions. We want to party with you!

anyone else wanna plug a new project?

I'd like to plug you

#802947 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 04:16 PM in The Shizz General Forum

It seems I remember a time on the Shizz we talked about music a lot...

no? maybe? It wasn't as much sarcasm & irony...well, except for 'Rudolpho of Pensacola'. he always kept things fun & light.

#802892 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 03:27 PM in The Shizz General Forum

The Phoenix scene sucks cause you guys left.

It's all your fault.

#802763 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 01:34 PM in The Shizz General Forum

this is the most amazing thread that should have never existed.

It's not really very good, and you know it.

It's petty, snippy, & mean spirited.

Like the Lame Phoenix Music Scene. ;)

#802731 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 01:01 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I think the shizz is a jerk, but his band is okay.

#802565 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 21 September 2009 - 09:43 AM in The Shizz General Forum

I think it's okay to say who you like, AND who you don't like.....Is a person not supposed to express their opinion about someone, just because they are a local musician? That's silly.

My thing has always been that I have felt, that perhaps, we tend to support WHO we like, as opposed to WHAT we like....and that, maybe, we are not even interested in projects by individuals who we don't feel positively about, or individuals that we don't know....and, maybe, that's how it seem a bit clique-y to people.

For anyone out there who has made the mistake of meeting their heroes, you know that sometimes they are not the nicest people...

It sucks to sometimes have to make a decision between good art & nice people...

Man, my friends are jerks, but when they shut up, they sure do make some nice music....

Maybe that's the difference between local bands & the one's whose albums we listen to all the way through....we don't have to hang out with the 'national ones' so we don't know, or care, if they are jerks....

I go to see music I like, regardless whether of not I like the people, when I have the time & the money, and that's all I could ask of anyone, really.

There is tooooo much good music to go see in Phoenix......

#802059 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 07:25 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Likewise.

and more importantly, I have never played a show at library.

yet.

#802022 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 05:49 PM in The Shizz General Forum

lets turn this into the coolest thread ever. and post badass shows here

Also, the Garagshock show @ The Tribe where they did an all Mummys set.

HOLY SHIT! that is badass

OH and...

Posted Image
USA USA USA

I'm looking more & more like this everyday, without the boat, I mean...and the bandana...but with the cheeseburger...

I fuckin LOVE cheeseburgers....with swiss cheese, tomatoes, avacado, jalepenos...oh man...CASEY MOORES...

#802014 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 05:32 PM in The Shizz General Forum

That's the spirit!!!!!

I, for one, am very excited about the Diminished Men, coming to the Trunk Space, Saturday, October 3rd...

Should be realllllly cool!!!!!!! scope out the link...

Get stoned first...

#802006 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 05:21 PM in The Shizz General Forum

;) ;) ;) ;)

#801994 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 04:49 PM in The Shizz General Forum

See, people act like they don't like gossip, but it's just not true, they LOVE it.

#801986 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 04:28 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Three weeks ago? I believe I did state that we hadn't played that song in a few weeks.

Again, talk to the bandleader, not the drummer.

#801982 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 04:19 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I have never played a show at the Library. Ever.

#801976 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 04:08 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Christ, if you live LA, why are you bothering to write on a lil ol message board in lil ol shitty Phoenix?

You're being silly.

You two can write me direct.

Stop posting your goofy shit here.

#801974 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 04:06 PM in The Shizz General Forum

and yes, I'll take the Social Security number, thanks...

and you weren't at the show the other night...

We haven't played that song for a few weeks, I think.

You can email me directly. You have before.

#801964 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 03:48 PM in The Shizz General Forum

and yes, Jeff, me & my Shizz friends ( :lol: ) know this is you....as it seems to coincide with MySpace posts that you are putting up.

Sorry, folks...

Additionally, I find the downtown scene to be great & really supportive.....they are some great new bands & the ones that have been around for a few years are doing some of their best work....There are some great festivals coming up, and yes, the Shizz is putting one on. I've found the Shizz crowd to be quite the opposite of elitist, although we all are in our own way. Most, but by no means all, of the so-called "Shizz" bands (I hate to break it to you, but there are no 'official' Shizz bands) tend to rock out, and the Shizz hasn't, usually, been that into the mellowish-country thing...But their are wonderful exceptions to that....Rum Tenor, Nowhere Man & a Whiskey Girl, Lonna Kelley..and I had a lovely talk a few months ago with Donald about doing a Shizz Roots/Americana fest.....and as far as you thinking that I have any pull on the Shizz, sorry Charlie...the folks on the Shizz have, more than once, had to kick me on the ass.

The Shizz isn't some big scene that controls the Phoenix music scene...it's a lil homespun website of some neighbors, some friends, some musicians, some visual artists...every so often they put on a nice show, or festival, with some of those folks.

Certainly the way to get involved with these people is not to write accusatory & negative posts on a site that is frequented by a bunch of folks who are just trying to be cool & do their part. I have made that mistake before & I was set straight.

Also, posting anonymously doesn't work too well, as their are some hardcore technerds on here who are pretty slick about tracing IP addresses...

#801962 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 03:37 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Gossiping? YOU are talking about gossiping?
Is it SO incomprehensable that someone else doesn't care for your bullshit? I can assure you I'm not Jeff, just someone who sees things for what they are. Don't you want a nice write up?

write me at herbieferbie@yahoo.com if you wanna talk

I don't care about a nice write up, no...

Jeff & Matt's issues are really not for public viewing, I'm sorry that we were overheard discussing it, but I'm not sure how you can point fingers at this point.

#801958 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 03:22 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Not everything is meant for a message board....

and thanks for contributing to a situation that was already bad enough.

Maybe you should mind your own business, as basically, you are gossiping.

a) I just play drums, I don't get to pick the tunes.
B) we don't play it every set.
c) ever known any musicians that weren't your favorite people, but managed to write a decent song (or many decent songs)???
d) another lame part about a scene is when you DO have to pretend to like everyone & their bands...it's tiring...
e) Herb? Who the fuck is Herb?

and I IM'd you my number. Use it, ya goofball...I'm guessing we'll end up agreeing on a few things & finding we have more in common than not.

Eavesdropper...

and I get the sneaking suspicion that you are Jeff Gonzales.

#801954 Why the Phoenix Music Scene Sucks

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 03:14 PM in The Shizz General Forum

OK. For what it's worth I'm a music writer. A microcosm of the Phoenix music scene; I went to a show the other night and I overheard a few members of the band talking shit about the person who's song they were covering (THAT NIGHT!). I was appalled. OK I'll mention names. Shane Kennedy. In Matthew Reveles' band. Covering Jeff Gonzales' song Midday Epilogue (a young lady told me they play it in every set). I don't live here (and even if I did) I'm not afraid of repercussions from big fish in small ponds. Have some goddamn respect will you?

That sums up the scene; cliques, and general disrespect. LA sucks too but at least there's a general respect and comaraderie amongst the bands. Achieve that (without elitism) and there just might be a thriving music scene out here.

But the way, my name is Herb Ferguson, herbieferbie@yahoo.com

Maybe you should know what your talking about about before you open your mouth, because, once I do, you're gonna feel an asshole.

#801799 New all ages venues coming to Tempe

Posted by Hooray For Everything on 19 September 2009 - 03:16 AM in The Shizz General Forum

I hoping someone opens a 31 & up club...

or have some kind a weight minimum...

Sorry, dude....you're 5'10" and only weigh 150 pounds...go eat some fuckin cheeseburgers & come back next month

You could try Margaritaville.

Just so everyone knows...I've known James for along time,we've played some great shows together, recorded some good tunes, and he never, NEVER, is this funny in person...

Okay maybe a few times.