16 replies to this topic

#1 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:41 AM

I live a hop, skip, and jump away from this wall in Silverlake. About a month ago, I saw that someone had tagged it.

Posted Image

It upset me, but I assumed it'd have been taken down by now. But it hasn't, and a post went up on Defamer about it, so I thought I'd finally share it here since they saved me the trouble of going to take a picture.

I like Smith's music, and even if you're not a fan, you have to admit that tagging someone's memorial is a serious offense.

#2 hunter

hunter

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

That's a shame... I started listening to Elliott Smith after I randomly saw him in 96 @ Stinkweeds... this makes me shed a tear. /weep
Wii: 5897-7799-8236-4316
Xbox Live: hunterxaz
PSN: hunterxaz

http://www.hunterxaz...raid_to_die.mp3

#3 Big_Poppa

Big_Poppa

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

For years I haven't been able to look at "tagging" without thinking of this.....

#4 Jadbgjoka

Jadbgjoka

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

That sucks. I'm a big fan of Elliott Smith, and I would have loved to visit that sometime.

I hope that what the fans wrote can be saved. :(

#5 Andrew James Matthews

Andrew James Matthews

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:29 PM

Jesus H. Christ, people! - Brodie, Phoenix's favorite son or whatever, why are singer/songwriters so goddamn ridiculous? - can you answer me that? - someone spraypaints a wall and you turn into an outraged grandmother, all "well i never"-ing - why do so many musicians take themselves so seriously while calling the act of music "playing?" - these are just questions that i'm asking beacuse i have a curious and playful mind, but i'm sure this will give a bunch of people an excuse to be personally outraged - so get that out of your systems first - get offended - tell all the girls you know that i'm an asshole, etc. - then honestly answer my question - i am seriously interested - WHY ARE SINGER/SONGWRITERS SUCH SELF-CONGRATULATORY, SERIOUS, MISERABLE CHILDREN??!! -

#6 Naz

Naz

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

well, seeing as this was a memorial painted to honor the musician, I wouldn't have called him self-congratulatory.
I would say he had touched the lives of enough people that they chose to honor him for the contribution that he made to their lives.
Music is a wonderful thing that can touch people deeply. Maybe he didn't fit a war or go to the moon, or invent a cure for cancer, but sometimes art can touch people deeply any way.

#7 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

I would say he had touched the lives of enough people that they chose to honor him for the contribution that he made to their lives.
Music is a wonderful thing that can touch people deeply. Maybe he didn't fit a war or go to the moon, or invent a cure for cancer, but sometimes art can touch people deeply any way.

Andrew,

Naz answered it better than I could have.
Neither my ego, superego, or id have anything to do with it.

B

#8 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

hmm well see this wall was actually painted before he died (hence why he's standing in front of it on the cover of figure 8) ... it was never (no matter what any superfan will tell you) designated as an 'official' memorial or anything. people just sorta gravitated to it and started writing on it, lighting candles, etc., and the owner of the pro-audio shop was ok with that (the owner of the wall). so yeah it sucks it was tagged, but it clearly is a public wall in Los Angeles (a tagtastic destination). my understanding is that fans pretty much do the work to paint over the tagging to preserve the original wall design as it isn't the first time it's been tagged. what i never really understood is why that place is some sacred 'memorial' site; seems to me portland would be a better place, but meh what do i know? also if you stand at the wall long enough spelling elliot with one 't' the rumor is you will be struck by lightning (j/k).

#9 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

You're right, the mural was there before it became a memorial.
But it has become a memorial, and that should be respected.
And from what I understand, "real" taggers do abide by a code, and this clearly breaks it.
But this isn't a tagger, this is just a piece of shit with a spray can.
Honestly, if it were "just a wall," I'd still think it was a lame thing to do.
The fact that the wall means something to a lot of people makes it an even worse thing.

#10 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:17 PM

from the photo it looks like a lot of people "tagged" on it so i dont think its original integrity was ever really preserved...i dont understand the big deal, just paint over the blue spray paint.....

#11 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

I expected the Shizzite community to be kinda up-in-arms about this. I got more of a sympathetic reaction from the punk rockers than the indie kids!

Y'all's HATERS! <_<

P.S. The graffiti is still up, but seems to be almost fading, or my brain is blocking it out. Whatever. Still hope the kid breaks his head on the pavement after climbing a billboard or some shit.

P.P.S.
Posted Image
Anyone know what's going on at the Phix with the tribute? Are bands playing covers, or what?

#12 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Fixed!

#13 Folofo

Folofo

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

For some reason I think Elliot would've appreciated or gotten a kick out of people putting graffitti on his memorial....he used to write on himself all the time....

#14 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hey! An update, some three years later... the wall is all cleaned up and now has a picture of Smith, too.

Silver Lake Elliott Smith Wall Now Has More Elliott Smith

#15 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hey! An update, some three years later... the wall is all cleaned up and now has a picture of Smith, too.

Silver Lake Elliott Smith Wall Now Has More Elliott Smith

Gotta say, adding a stencil is overselling it.
Like the way they had to make 2 Vietnam Memorials because some people "just didn't get" The Wall.

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users