29 replies to this topic

#1 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm Ur-Vile from the minibosses forums for those who don't check that area, anyways....

I'm visiting Phoenix July 16th-20th and my friend just canceled so I'm having to make new plans regarding hotel. They're have a 24hr sale over at expedia.com where I got my tickets, and from what I've seen The Clarendon - Midtown Museum District seems to be the best choice for my budget. Not getting a rental, so I want to stay somewhere I can bus around town. Have to get this all figured out today, so any suggestions would be welcome as I'm not familiar with Phoenix at all. Thanx! Josh

#2 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

I hear great stuff about it all the time.
They hire some good people too.

JRC--TTS

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#3 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

i've never been in a room there, but the clarendon seems pretty cool.

it's not right on the light rail route, but it's close. and that's good if you want to cruise around downtown or into tempe.

there's a shit load of deals during the summertime here.

what's the other hotel where they do star swim? the wyndham? that's right downtown, too. and on central (light rail). i think there's a hilton down there, and a hyatt, but i don't know what those cost.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#4 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

I don't mind walking around some, so close is good for me. I'll have to mapquest some shit

I really appreciate the help guys

#5 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

I don't mind walking around some

IT'S HOT AS FUCK. dress appropriate. and bring water. and one of those big outback hats like they have in australia.

anything in particular you're coming out to see/do?
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#6 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

[Tony, whatever you have behind that hyperlink my computer does not like at all. I'll check google, lol]

Oh my friend was suppose to be doing some work out of Phoenix and I wanted to get out of Seattle-area for a weekend and I've never been to Phoenix. not too excited about it now that plans fell through (I don't know anyone out there), but to hell I'm gonna eat the cost of those tickets. Also sucks cause the Diamondbacks aren't playing that weekend. Nothing on the shizz calendar. Guess I'll just walk around, go bar hopping. Just will be nice to take a real vacation, been a while.

EDIT: Oh I guess there is something on the shizz calendar now. May have to check that out

#7 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

my bad. try this link. it's just valley metro web page - my original link went straight to the PDF map/schedule - i guess the shizz doesn't like that.

people, let's think of something for urvile to do in phoenix.

the overall calendar doesn't get updated as much as it should, but check the shows forum. there's got to be something going on.

on saturdays (i think every saturday) there's a huge pool party at wyndham w/ dj's, if that's your thing.

it's 3rd friday that weekend, which is a smaller version of first friday art walk. lots of galleries should be open at night. go to trunk space!

i personally think the botanical gardens are really cool, but you'd have to take a bus over towards tempe/scottsdale to check it out.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#8 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Much better link :lol:

Yeah, I dunno. I'm sick as hell and tired to boot... nothing really sounds that fun to me right now. I'll figure out some sort of gameplan before I leave

#9 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

light rail stops worth checking out, central and McDowell, art museum, thai food library, Roosevelt and McDowell, head east on roosevelt for a few bars http://www.yelp.com/...-bistro-phoenix
http://www.yelp.com/...osevelt-phoenix
http://www.mattsbigbreakfast.com/
http://www.thelostleaf.org/
http://www.modified.org/ check their calendar for shows (good variety)
http://www.downtowntempe.com/ mill ave is in tempe right off the light rail, it's about a half hour ride from phoenix, used to be super cool place now it's kinda a ghost town because of the economy, and over doing things, it is a nice little walk with tree's and little shops mostly like a mall, but you could walk a few blocks to my favorite bar with great outdoor patio (old historic house) called casey moores. http://www.caseymoores.com/Home.html

there is a great record store right around the corner on university form casey's http://phoenix.citys...de_records.html

note i said little, the economy forced them to lease out half their space to a head shop. but still worth the look

thats just off the top of my head, i would suggest hitting the pool a lot. and wear sunblock and drink plenty of water. misters are also a great thing, and most bars have them on the patio to cool down patrons. george and dragon is ok, they have a quiz night on thursdays.

there is a cool part of 7th ave that has a record store and some coffee shops and antique stores, just nort of camel back and stinkweeds records is on the central and camel back light rail stop.

hope you enjoy your stay

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#10 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

light rail stops worth checking out, central and McDowell, art museum, thai food library, Roosevelt and McDowell, head east on roosevelt for a few bars

If only there really were a Thai food library.

Oh yeah, and there's a cool show at Trunk Space on the 16th, it's not walking distance from the Clarendon, but I can come pick you up if you wanna hang out.

#11 lesl.

lesl.

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Coronado Hotel.

807 N 1st St
Phoenix, AZ 85004-2093
(602) 262-9474‎

next to most of the good spots.
Stay in is the new get out.

#12 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

a show on the 16th, it's not walking distance from the Clarendon, but I can come pick you up if you wanna hang out.

That'd be cool! I'll try not to be a complete bore :lol:

EDIT: I dunno, by the time I fly in and get the to the hotel, might be 8:30, 9 before I'm ready. I'll msg you about it when it's closer to the date.

Coronado Hotel.

807 N 1st St
Phoenix, AZ 85004-2093
(602) 262-9474‎

next to most of the good spots.

I'll check that one out, thx

Thanks for the suggestions, this board has always been so friendly <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

EDIT: Man, what is up with that light rail site. That's the 3rd time now it's locked up firefox, the fuck?

#13 allisonorphan

allisonorphan

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

i have to second the suggestion of the botanical gardens. it will be hot, but they are beautiful. when i was in town in january they had a killer chihuly glass exhibit built into the landscaping. it should still be there. check it out.
desert botanical gardens.

#14 urvile

urvile

Shizz Overlord

• Members
  • 16,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

So I just booked the Clarendon - looks nice, good location, great price

#15 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

If only there really were a Thai food library.

my bad i really have a problem with those coma's

wha wha

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users