#17 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

[/quote]
"Greatest Storie Ever Told" is pretty good, so is "Oh Calcutta".
[/quote]

Oh Calcutta is the best thing that band has done. Really its Guided Tour of Chicago and that one with a bunch of "meh" in between.

Really fired up for Strike Anywhere. That last album was pretty boring but I heard this is supposed to be more angry hardcore songs. Just want Change is a Sound Part II please.
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#18 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

I went tt the Strike Anywhere/Bane show at the sets and wasn't pumped on the Venue, plus it cleared out after Bane, which was rad-er for me.

D4, Strike Anywhere, Lawrence Arms, offWiththereHeads, Dear Landlord, American Steel, The Arrivals!
Hell even Teenage Bottle Rocket and the Copyrights and Cobra Skulls, they are so so , but palatable. So like yeah its a good time of year to get into "punk rock" if you haven't before.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#19 nastyd

nastyd

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

i'm stoked as fuck on this. D4 has been an obsession of mine for a long long time.

...and oh calcutta, in my opinion, is one of the most solid and listenable albums ever.
haven't gotten into strike anywhere, but i'll give them a shot since i seem to have the same taste as some of you that like them.

#20 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

hmmmmm scratches chin.

most of these bands were the last of what i consider fairly good pop punk. but it was disappointing because they were just weak imitations of goodness. then that shit died (sorry mikey) and it started with squirt gun and zoinks! ef those dudes i don't care who you recorded, that doesn't' mean you are a great pop punk band.

and what the ef was ben thinking with bark like a dog?(and that's it i don't even want to try anymore, [then don't thank you very much]) or the queers turning into the beach boys?

gag me with a spoon

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#21 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Squirtgun and Zoinks are the worst. I bought there cd's back to back and then listened to nothing but rap for a year.

Dillinger Four's last two Civil War and Situationist Comedy are a one two punch I would rank up there with Bad Religions Suffer and No Control and Fugazi In On The Kill Taker and Red Medicine, once you thought it couldn't get better....BAM!
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#22 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

hmmmmm scratches chin.

most of these bands were the last of what i consider fairly good pop punk. but it was disappointing because they were just weak imitations of goodness. then that shit died (sorry mikey) and it started with squirt gun and zoinks! ef those dudes i don't care who you recorded, that doesn't' mean you are a great pop punk band.

WHAT?

Dude you have no Idea what I like do you?

I never got into FAT bands in the 90s.

Only in the past maybe 5 years have I really liked what they have put out.
Never got intop the queers other than maybe a hand full of songs and squirgun and zoinks didnt get my attention either!

I grew up on F.Y.P and Hickey!

#23 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Dillinger four is my jawbreaker

they changed the face of punk and still do.

Polished pop punk of the 90s can eat my butt hole!

#24 Guest_viewfinder_*

Guest_viewfinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

That guy from Zoinks! (Zac Damon?) put out a pretty good EP fronting a band called Crushstory on 702 Records. Very Costello and power pop. Zoinks had a couple okay numbers.

FAT did a few good things as well: Propagandi releases, that Rancid 7" was okay (Radio,...), I kinda liked that first Snuff LP they did, the Swinging Utters LPs were alright, 'Cool Kids' on Bark Like a Dog was 'aight. And although I haven't supported FAT (by purchasing their stuff) in a while, I don't necessarily write them off but I don't really consider them either.

But I agree (with whoever) that after a certain point or time period, pop punk went south. In America.

Home Alone and Stinking Polecats from Italy picked up the early Screeching Weasel torch in the latter part of the 90s and put out good 7"s.

I always loved The Automatics, Scared of Chaka, Cringer, JChurch, Pinhead Gunpowder, Cub, Buck, The Muffs, etc,....

In defense of lameness, I guess.

#25 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

I went and saw Pinhead gunpowder last year in LA.

AMAZING!

scared of Chaka is one of the bands that made another huge impact on me. I have the first two 7 inches and those are rare as crap now so Im stoked!

Good pop punk right now!!

GORDAN GANOS ARMY!
Dan Padilla
Sunnyside
RVIVR
Lemuria
The Bananas

SHANG A LANG

#26 Guest_viewfinder_*

Guest_viewfinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Talk about rare, those first two Bananas seven inches are hard to find. Not sure about how valuable they are but damn, if they weren't good EPs. Bad Banana Rising and The Peel Sessions. Awesome records.

#27 nastyd

nastyd

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

i think if you're having trouble finding good pop punk now, then you probably just don't care to find it. even just in arizona there are tons of awesome pop punk bands.

#28 braddwyer

braddwyer

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

i think if you're having trouble finding good pop punk now, then you probably just don't care to find it. even just in arizona there are tons of awesome pop punk bands.

That's right, muthafucka's!

#29 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#30 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users