62 replies to this topic

#1 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:57 AM

...you should include both an AZPunkdotcom and a shizzdotcom logo. Interaction will build up what is lost to the general "scene" theory of what is destroying live music. Ideas?

#2 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

...you should include both an AZPunkdotcom and a shizzdotcom logo. Interaction will build up what is lost to the general "scene" theory of what is destroying live music. Ideas?

we're definitely trying to push the idea of adding "shizz" tags to more of our shows.

would you still think an azpunk logo would be appropriate for a decidedly non-punk band? people looking at the flyer might associate the style of music with the band based on the logo, which may not work for a band like fatigo. on the other hand, it would be punk as fuck to have fatigo open up for some thrash OC punk band.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#3 Melkor

Melkor

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

Posted Image

#4 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

I don't see why Fatigo couldn't open up for a thrash band, but I may be the only person stoked, everyone else would leave and go to the Lost Leaf or something...so maybe a bad idea.

We all live in or around or care about PHX, most of us play or listen to music, we are all mos def online, why does the internet have to be so small, AzPunk could be a good resource/calendar and be open to being less PUNX and them and the Shizz could team up to get like a massive 10+ people at a show

or at the most do some cross genre (?) shows like a couple times a year. Like the Arizona Internet Community Presents: blah blah blah
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#5 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

I don't see why Fatigo couldn't open up for a thrash band,

cagematch would love to open for fatigo

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#6 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

Ahhh some how I forgot the highly charged "what is punk" debate that sparked the start of Punk Planet after MRRs ban of anything that wasnt "loud fast rules". At this point I believe people familiar with either genre are pretty secure in what there music is or isnt...how do we go from there?

#7 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

would you still think an azpunk logo would be appropriate for a decidedly non-punk band? people looking at the flyer might associate the style of music with the band based on the logo, which may not work for a band like fatigo. on the other hand, it would be punk as fuck to have fatigo open up for some thrash OC punk band.

Sooooo, the idea is pushing LIVE music. Would a punk show be damaged by having a Shizz logo on it? Doubt it. I understand we are neanderthals and all but we can still differentiate...

#8 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

MRRs ban of anything that wasnt "loud fast rules".

yea you forgot that punks can only wear low top white converse because samiam sold out to converse, according to ben weasel

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#9 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Sooooo, the idea is pushing LIVE music. Would a punk show be damaged by having a Shizz logo on it? Doubt it. I understand we are neanderthals and all but we can still differentiate...

i wasn't trying to debate what punk is or isn't, and i certainly agree that a show would not be damaged by having an azpunk or shizz logo on it. i'm just saying if some random person sees an azpunk logo their first reaction might be "this is going to be a punk rock show" and then they go and it's not crusty punk and they call everyone in the band a faggot. not that that's ever happened to emperors of japan (thank you, palm springs!). ahem... anyway.

i guess the same could be said if we put a shizz logo on. people might see it and expect a band full of hipsters or something.

but you're right - supporting live local music - regardless of genre is the key.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#10 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

i was passing out when you were passing out your rules

1 2 3 4 whos punk whats the score

-trunkspace

#11 Melkor

Melkor

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I won.

#12 JJames

JJames

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

I gotta say I agree with tony on this one. It might also lead to mislabeling of the genre of bands. In Yukon Ho we always got put with ska bands and punk shows just because we had horns. Its a good idea though, there must be some way to expand upon it to help create a larger more unified scene.

#13 Folofo

Folofo

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

We (fatigo) opened for Scorpion vs Tarantula.....are they punkers?

#14 TPStank

TPStank

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Up to the underground local music. Whatever genre it may be.
Hey you, post your shows on AZPunk.com

Posted Image

#15 distort

distort

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

the idea of scene unity is stupid

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users