37 replies to this topic

#16 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'll just bring a Nirvana song in and claim it as my own and he'll never know. Still cant believe dude things Green Day is great and Nirvana is horrible. Crazy talk.

I was wondering how a Greenday fan could bag on Nirvana. Glad I am not the only one.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#17 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

I'll just bring a Nirvana song in and claim it as my own and he'll never know. Still cant believe dude things Green Day is great and Nirvana is horrible. Crazy talk.

I was wondering how a Greenday fan could bag on Nirvana. Glad I am not the only one.

You're my favorite person in the world.
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#18 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

You're my favorite person in the world.

aww schucks, thank you.

#19 negicore

negicore

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

I want Said Gun to become an Embrace tribute band

The Embrace lp is one of my top 5 records ever, always loved that you guys named yourselves after that song!
the next time the star shoots across the sky, I'm gonna grab it, and smash it, under my feet...http://djjohnnyvolume.tumblr.com/

#20 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

The Embrace lp is one of my top 5 records ever, always loved that you guys named yourselves after that song!

most people ask if we named it after the Avail cover of that song (?)
It was going to be "Clear Expansive Skies" after the lyric from that first Fugazi record, but we relished that we were out of shape dudes who play high energy punk, so that name should be left to instrumental rock bands and pseudo emo bands.

#21 negicore

negicore

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

most people ask if we named it after the Avail cover of that song (?)
It was going to be "Clear Expansive Skies" after the lyric from that first Fugazi record, but we relished that we were out of shape dudes who play high energy punk, so that name should be left to instrumental rock bands and pseudo emo bands.

My High School Yearbook quote was "Somewhere in these private minds, The last one comes just in time to clear out
The chambers and sew up the lips"
the next time the star shoots across the sky, I'm gonna grab it, and smash it, under my feet...http://djjohnnyvolume.tumblr.com/

#22 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Naming bands after awesome band song titles or song lyrics.

I wanted to call Rumspringer "the Future Daydreams" but it was voted out.

#23 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

I am not sure how I feel about the art of naming your band after a song or awesome lyric, it seems kinda lazy, but it is a cool homage at the same time, we did because I couldn't think of a good band name for the life of me, so I started looking at things I thought were awesome in other bands, Shield Your Eyes was another name possibility, but I couldn't name my band after a Jawbreaker song, no matter how much I like Jawbreaker

#24 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

I am not sure how I feel about the art of naming your band after a song or awesome lyric, it seems kinda lazy, but it is a cool homage at the same time, we did because I couldn't think of a good band name for the life of me, so I started looking at things I thought were awesome in other bands, Shield Your Eyes was another name possibility, but I couldn't name my band after a Jawbreaker song, no matter how much I like Jawbreaker

unless it was xshieldyoureyesx but I know there is no straight edge going on at the gun rack
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#25 jhealy

jhealy

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

what the fuck do greenday and nirvana have in common?

My link

#26 JJames

JJames

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

Go ahead and cover Nirvana Chad!

NEVER! i would rather cover bueno vista social club

oh shit that sould be sick!

#27 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

i guess i don't understand why i can't like green day and not nirvana?

sure both came from the underground and "sold out" but when i was in high school i never saw nirvana play small clubs in my town, i did however see greenday on a few occasions and was really really into lookout records, i did like subpop stuff but more of bands like seaweed and such.

i really didn't like the rest of the "grunge" bands either, i was stuck in my pop punk / crust punk thing and nirvana didn't fit my tastes, still don't and i don't care that pat smear played with them later on.

i can say they are not the worst of those bands and i can tolerate their music but it's just not my thing.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#28 MattChedda

MattChedda

Shizz Weeping Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

I want Rumspringer to do "Down inside" by Monsula
i want Japanese Monsters to do "Circles" by Dag Nasty
I think any Unwound song by Emperors of Japan would sound good
and cagematch should Down Tun-a-fie Mariah Carey songs, but Nirvana would be cool too i suppose.

I would totally be down to cover a unwound song!

Love that band.

#29 MattChedda

MattChedda

Shizz Weeping Demon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

I know I'm a little biased here but I loved it when Sweetbleeders used to cover Blue Jay Way and Bjork's Isobel. I think it's great for bands to go out of their comfort zones. Go ahead and cover Nirvana Chad!

I never got to hear you guys cover bjork.

Hopefully you guys will cover it again and I will be there to hear it.

#30 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I know I'm a little biased here but I loved it when Sweetbleeders used to cover Blue Jay Way and Bjork's Isobel. I think it's great for bands to go out of their comfort zones. Go ahead and cover Nirvana Chad!

I never got to hear you guys cover bjork.

Hopefully you guys will cover it again and I will be there to hear it.

i'd like to hear sweetbleeders cover everything in it's right place by radiohead.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users