46 replies to this topic

#1 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

i still like holding something in my hand and cool artwork that is really unique to zines but blogs are so easy to start and publish and there are some really cool blogs out there.

this blog is awesome

#2 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

blogs will never be as cool as zines! but blogs can still be sweet, especially music blogs with direct download links.

#3 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

About 4 or 5 years ago, I wasted an entire afternoon of work reading a blog by a girl who worked at an adult video store, describing her day to day.

Seriously, it was a good read. I wish I could remember where the hell it was.

#4 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

I dont dig on blogs. I have never downloaded any music because I have never had a computer at home good enough to do it. I didnt grow up with a computer and my school didnt have computers so Yeah I say ZINE ZINE ZINE! The computer to me is something to do when you are bored! Reading a book or Zine is something I will make an event out of for myself.

#5 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

The computer to me is something to do when you are bored! Reading a book or Zine is something I will make an event out of for myself.

that makes a lot of sense

#6 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

You mean because no one with a life reads them?
ooooh pwned.

No actually, I think tapes are the new zines.
They're appreciated by small niche markets who hord and trade them like rare spices.
(this has nothing to do w/ the fact that OWL has 2 tapes out now: one commemorating the Willow House w/ a noise set, and another thats a musical called "Big Steve" about a lonely Giant--$3 each if you're interested, and they come w/ digital copies.)

No, actually, I think linking a blog to a zine is a great great way to market the 2 things and make them stronger.
People LOVE to hold a "something" but we're also addicted to rapid info now, so continually adding updates to articles to a blog would totally drive traffic to it.
And, you could support the blog w/ zine subscriptions, collections of "best ofs" and such.

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#7 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

JRC,

Would you rather read a comic book or read the same thing on the webernet?

Im not trying to FACE you just want to know if you think Online comics are the same, more fun, or equal to a comic you hold and turn the pages yourself?

#8 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

i dont download music either, with RARE exception since i dont have webernetz at home. im more of a record store guy. and webcomics are fin efor daily/weekly humor type stuff, but as far as actual story? FUCK computer based comics. give me the hard copy. even with stuff like SUGARSHOCK! by joss whedon and fabio moon which was online only last year, it came out in print yesterday and i still bought it. i always want the physical comic.

#9 differently biotic

differently biotic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

I want to hold the comic book in my hand. I tried the whole reading on online. Didn't like it so much.

#10 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

seriously. warren ellis called me mildly retarded for not reading FREAKANGELS, even though it was free every week.

#11 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

I had records when people had walkmans and I had records when people had Ipods and I have records now that people are just down loading.

I dont think my way is the right way and everyone likes what they like.

I would rather brew a pot of coffee and sit in a nice chair and read a news paper then to look it up on the net.

The crinkling noise of paper seems to be way sexier than the tackity tac tac of a googler machine.

#12 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

googler machine.

:lol:

#13 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

i dont know if you guys read GENETIC DISORDER, but i just got the info on the small piece im doing for the next issue. its one of the illustrated police report things. stoked! i read this zine when i was like 15 so its pretty neat to get asked to contribute almost 14 years later.

#14 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

i dont know if you guys read GENETIC DISORDER, but i just got the info on the small piece im doing for the next issue. its one of the illustrated police report things. stoked! i read this zine when i was like 15 so its pretty neat to get asked to contribute almost 14 years later.

yeah man we have a few of thos GD floating around out practice spot. good very good.
Im all about Razorcake these days.

#15 psykosteve

psykosteve

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

this conversation seems 10 years to late.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users