77 replies to this topic

#1 glitterbot

glitterbot

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

If you are like me, you are tired of wading through a bunch of crappy alternatives to find something you really like. I frequently find myself turning to the shizz for recommendations for various services/establishments. I thought it might be cool to have a thread for this? I have gotten terrific recommendations for various things on the shizz, for example car repair. (Camelback Garage) Shizzies could post when they have a particularly good experience with something/someone or a really bad one, and people could also post when they need a recommendation for something.

For instance, where can I get some damn decent Chinese food? Why is this so impossible in Phoenix? I reallllly want a good egg roll, and not one of those crappy faux eggrolls that are actually spring rolls. I can't remember the last time I had really good Chinese food. Help?

And also, I love my dentist. If anyone ever needs a good dentist who is cool and doesn't overcharge go to Dr Ronald Thompson in Mesa. They don't make you feel like a jackass if you don't floss. He will totally work with you when you don't have insurance too.
"Now get out. You're banned from this historical society. You and your children, and your children's children... for three months. "

Posted Image

#2 azwestdevil72

azwestdevil72

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

For instance, where can I get some damn decent Chinese food?

I have been to all of these.

Try (no particular order):
1. Great Wall 3446 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix (* at least they used to be good years ago. Haven't been there in ages)
2. China Rainbow, 6630 West Cactus Road, Glendale (I'm partial to China Rainbow because I know the owners)
3. Wong's JR, 8317 West Peoria Avenue, Peoria
3. China King 1050 W. Ray Road (Alma School), Chandler
4. This is actually Vietnamese food, but serves Chinese: Dong Phuong, 8123 East Roosevelt Street, Scottsdale

*I have also heard the Golden Buddha in the Chinese Cultural Center is good, but never have been there.

**If you ever travel through Sierra Vista, like taking the long way to Bisbee (that would be the only reason I could think of anyone from phoenix even remotely being there, unless they knew someone who actually lived there...just sayin'), check out Jackson's Delicatessen in Sierra Vista at 217 West Fry Boulevard. Not a Chinese restaurant per se, but they have awesome Chinese fried rice.

#3 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hot Wok on Kyrene & Warner - NYC-style Chinese food. I like it the best of anything in town so far.....

Is there any place in town that makes good pie - from scratch? The closest was Penny's Pie at Rock Springs Cafe, but she retired a couple years ago....

#4 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

For instance, where can I get some damn decent Chinese food?

*I have also heard the Golden Buddha in the Chinese Cultural Center is good, but never have been there.

i live right near here, and i'd recommend it. there's also a really good szechuan place in the cultural center as well - right next door to golden buddha. please keep in mind that i'm not a chinese food expert, but of all the places i've been in phoenix this one keeps coming back to the top of the list.

also, i recommend the market at the cultural center for cheap produce and fish. or anything even remotely asian.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#5 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

Good plumber.

Josh. Leak Dr.
Chandler, AZ
(480) 316-3621

He's licensed & bonded, etc.

Good rate & reliable.

FYI not the cheapest you will find, but not super high priced either.

#6 glitterbot

glitterbot

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hot Wok on Kyrene & Warner - NYC-style Chinese food. I like it the best of anything in town so far.....

Is there any place in town that makes good pie - from scratch? The closest was Penny's Pie at Rock Springs Cafe, but she retired a couple years ago....

this place has TASTY pie! The Iowa Cafe, 5606 E McKellips Rd., Mesa, Just east of Higley on McKellips Road. I tried I think two difference pieces of pie (rhubarb and sour cream raisin), on a given day I think they have about 8 flavors or so. very yum. Also the Beeline Cafe in Payson used to have GREAT pie! But I haven't been there in years. I love pie.
"Now get out. You're banned from this historical society. You and your children, and your children's children... for three months. "

Posted Image

#7 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

this place has TASTY pie! The Iowa Cafe, 5606 E McKellips Rd., Mesa, Just east of Higley on McKellips Road. I tried I think two difference pieces of pie (rhubarb and sour cream raisin), on a given day I think they have about 8 flavors or so. very yum. Also the Beeline Cafe in Payson used to have GREAT pie! But I haven't been there in years. I love pie.

Awrsome! THX!

#8 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

awesome dude to hang out with..

ME!

#9 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

recommended day to have a paid holiday ...presidents day. a little toasty but alot nicer than being at work
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#10 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Awesome Hawaiian food - Mai Island Grill on 6th & Forest in Tempe. Super amazing food. I just ate there....

#11 The Other 49

The Other 49

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Anyone know a good dentist on the West side? Or even central Phoenix. I have had dental insurance for like two years and have been a jackass about using it.

#12 glitterbot

glitterbot

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Anyone know a good dentist on the West side? Or even central Phoenix. I have had dental insurance for like two years and have been a jackass about using it.

If you get desperate enough to drive to Mesa, my dentist is the bomb. I drive there from 15th St & Dunlap because he is so awesome.

Posted Image

#13 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,447 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Chinese food: Gourmet House of Hong Kong, 14th st and McDowell.

Garage: Hon*Amotive, Cave Creek and Greenway

#14 negicore

negicore

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

I recommend everyone on this board be @ Yucca Tap Room Sat. March 27th! Show is going to fuckin' Kill!!! And the show is the weekend of my lady and my birthdays, and one week before we get hitched! Details and flyer to come!!!!!
the next time the star shoots across the sky, I'm gonna grab it, and smash it, under my feet...http://djjohnnyvolume.tumblr.com/

#15 hexaclopsclopsclops

hexaclopsclopsclops

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

My dentist is waaay on the west side. Dr Bob Demarco on 89th Ave & Union Hills. He's 1,000,000 miles from my house, but I'm going on ten years without a cavity. His office staff is dumb as rocks, but the hygenists and the dentist himself are very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users