26 replies to this topic

#16 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am looking for suggestions on what to do in my room.

Is the master bedroom of my house, with new paint so I kinda don't want to have crap permanently attached or build new walls (at least at this point).

I have tile floor also, which I like cuz it's easy to move amps in and out, which I do often.

So far I have thought of:

a. Layered curtains on horizontal poles that could be moved around.

b. Padded room (more permanent)

c. cloth and foam covered panels, semi attached

HELP!

#17 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

Quezo I'm going to say the foam and cloth covered semi-attached is the way to go. BTW, when it comes to soundproofing, Bass is the hardest thing to soundproof. It is really what your neighbors are hearing down the block--those frequencies really travel. (probably why a sonic boom is BOOM and not a sonic ting). There are some special methods I've heard of for soundproofing bass (will have to research that a little).

#18 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Quezo I'm going to say the foam and cloth covered semi-attached is the way to go. BTW, when it comes to soundproofing, Bass is the hardest thing to soundproof. It is really what your neighbors are hearing down the block--those frequencies really travel. (probably why a sonic boom is BOOM and not a sonic ting). There are some special methods I've heard of for soundproofing bass (will have to research that a little).

I guess it's not so much sound proofing as sound deading for the room. It is sooooo live in there it's almost ridiculous.

My neighbors are all good with the sound. Not likely to get any complaints.

#19 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

you could put hooks in the walls up near the ceiling, and then hang sound proof blankets from there. or just regular blankets. but that way you don't have to build some sort of mobile structure. and the hooks are pretty low profile aesthetic-wise.

also, rugs.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#20 innerear

innerear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

you could put hooks in the walls up near the ceiling, and then hang sound proof blankets from there. or just regular blankets. but that way you don't have to build some sort of mobile structure. and the hooks are pretty low profile aesthetic-wise.

also, rugs.

Dave If your looking to stop standing waves the best way would be to make baffles (sp? ie. Office dividers, moving blankets or any dense blanket hung off a rod of some sort) and place them sort of randomly so as to get rid of any parralell walls. If you have a rug to through on the ground that to would be good, tile like glass is a very reflective surface. If you wanted to go crazy you could also hang boreds at random angles from the ceiling or maybe hang some dense cloth losely so it arches down also getting rid of the parllel surface from floor to ceiling.
Hope that is of some help

#21 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

also, rugs.

Dave If your looking to stop standing waves the best way would be to make baffles (sp? ie. Office dividers, moving blankets or any dense blanket hung off a rod of some sort) and place them sort of randomly so as to get rid of any parralell walls. If you have a rug to through on the ground that to would be good, tile like glass is a very reflective surface. If you wanted to go crazy you could also hang boreds at random angles from the ceiling or maybe hang some dense cloth losely so it arches down also getting rid of the parllel surface from floor to ceiling.
Hope that is of some help

Thanks Mike!

#22 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Most of what you guys are talking about is sound dampening which is absolutely not the same thing as sound proofing. You can cover your garage walls with egg cartons and while the room might not be so echo-ish (dampening), but outside it will sound just as loud (proofing).

Please read this, I found it very informative.

http://www.soundproofing101.com/

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#23 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Most of what you guys are talking about is sound dampening which is absolutely not the same thing as sound proofing. You can cover your garage walls with egg cartons and while the room might not be so echo-ish (dampening), but outside it will sound just as loud (proofing).

you're very informative.
I still don't have a signature.

#24 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

you're very informative.

You're very informative! We hope to someday have a practice setup that rivals yours in awesomeness.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#25 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

you're very informative.

You're very informative! We hope to someday have a practice setup that rivals yours in awesomeness.

This can happen if we all jam again. :)

#26 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

you're very informative.

This can happen if we all jam again. :)

oh snap!! Called you out and shit!!

whatcha gonna do now?!
I still don't have a signature.

#27 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

you're very informative.

This can happen if we all jam again. Posted Image

oh snap!! Called you out and shit!!

whatcha gonna do now?!

Actually I called myself out. Ouch.

I would need to get you all a copy of the music I have first; as I said I would do some months ago before my mac was
fixed. Now that it is, I have no excuse.

yaimagohidenowbye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users