#1 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

hey ya'll

who here knows about renting/getting band rehearsal space in the phx valley metro area>>>>

#2 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

i do!
I still don't have a signature.

#3 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

um

#4 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

what do you need to know?
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#5 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

everything

what are standard rental prices
do you share with other bands
are there good places/areas

#6 bunnyeyes

bunnyeyes

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

my garage ;)

#7 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

my garage ;)

totally.

i toured francisco and i think one other place a looooooooooooooooong time ago, and in addition to being kind of sketchy, it seemed kind of expensive. so i just found a house that had a good space instead. PM johnmfer - he used to share space at the argo with like 5 bands. not sure who else.

but my general impression was not positive on the formal "band rehearsal spaces" that people rent out. didn't seem very secure or convenient. i'd look for warehouse space or storage space that would allow it and try to get some other bands involved if i didn't have a home space.

EDIT: i don't want to come off as super negative about getting practice spaces - but my impression after evaluating all my options last time around was to move to a home that had a practice space rather than pay for space elsewhere.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#8 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

my current bands don't use rehearsal spaces... we hardly practice, and when we do it's usually in the spare bedroom at my house or out at the bassist's house in Gilbert. SO my info is pretty limited and dated.

Basically, you've got a few different categories. 1) There are nice studios you can rent (usually hourly - say $25+/hr) where there will be amps & sometimes other gear available. 2) Then there are buildings dedicated to band rehearsal space. Usually a converted storage/office/industrial building that's divided into small padded rooms... Favorite hangouts of the metalhead scene & other genres that are too loud for residentially zoned areas :-). Usually a monthly rent (say like $300 for a small room - $600 for a reasonably nice room), often split between 2 or 3 bands. Smells bad, walls are always rattling from the racket, you're lucky if the power doesn't get shut off, your gear stolen... etc. 3) Non-dedicated space in non-residential area (usually storage units or storefront in run-down strip mall somewhere) that gets appropriated for bands' use. Usually 2 or 3 bands, sometimes several bands will 'take over' a strip of storage units. Rent varies widely.

There are some of each of these in the downtown area, and probably more I haven't thought of. I can try to dig up some contacts, if you're curious. I've been thinking about some of the vacant churches near downtown, whether they could be used for rehearsal and occasional small gigs without pissing off the neighbors too much :-)

#9 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

i toured francisco

we rented a space there a while ago and i really enjoyed it. very secure, well maintained. only problem was a band down the hall who refused to close their door when they played.( that happens though when you have a million band tenants who think they will be the next big thing) this is at the osborn/ grand location. lots of units designed for bands. i really wish we could still afford it actually.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#10 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, the Francisco places are actually really nice as far as rehearsal spaces go. I've been in both the 11th St and Van Buren and Osborn/Grand locations. I want to say rent was around $350? Felt very secure. I prefer the Van Buren location if you can get in there. They have artist studios as well that people live in so its generally a little more clean than the other band only locations.There are spaces available in the Argo complex right now for $400 that are much bigger, though you may need to sign a year lease as opposed to month to month terms...not sure though.
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#11 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

cool thanks for the info dudes/dudettes

#12 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

i was no help, i'm sorry. My answer is exactly the same as Tony's...

which is still no help.
I still don't have a signature.

#13 The Other 49

The Other 49

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

I like Fransisco's. I've never had a problem there.

#14 Tender Lad

Tender Lad

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

I just gave up my space at francisco. I was sharing with Claire from Shortstack Lightning and Tom from The Father Figures. I think they are looking for someone to fill the spot. It's cheap.

#15 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

i like practice spaces that can also be used as show spaces...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users