16 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

so the last several nights i've been taking a shower outside in my yard. just stringing a hose up over a tree branch and going for it, soap and all. suffice it to say that it's 100,000 times better than showering inside. it just feels cooler. and since our "cold" water is still 85 degrees it's pretty comfy. anyway, i'd like to build this into some sort of permanent structure. has anybody ever built one?

or am i alone on this one? :unsure:

edit: i just re-read the post and i realize i sound like some crazy hippie. whatever. i still like showering outside.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#2 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

It's been a few years... but it's not uncommon on our fieldwork jobs to end up living out of a tent for 6 or more weeks at a time. On those longer jobs, we'll usually construct a crude shower stall and use 2 gallon solar showers. Basically, I remember building on a slope so that the water wouldn't pool up underneath the stall, then lightly framing it with 2x4's, and using thin plywood or OSB to make low walls and a door for some privacy. Put in a shelf and a small mirror for shaving, and it's pretty deluxe. Can't remember what we used for the floor? I think we ran 2x4 joists across the bottom, then a heavy perforated plastic mat of some sort to let water through but would support our weight. No roof, of course. We built one of these one summer, it survived a Navajo-country winter, and used it again for 8 weeks the next summer.

Those solar showers work surprisingly good. :-) Solar shower and a tree branch to hang it on gets you most of the way there, especially if there's grass so your feet don't get too muddy.

#3 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

since you don't have to worry about freezing pipes, it should be really easy to do this anywhere you already have a shower or faucet on the inside close to where you want your outdoor shower, assuming you want it connected to your house. if you need a drain, that's where things might get costly and difficult. you could research it yourself or call a plumber and have them take a look and see what they say.

#4 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

i've done a little homework - i don't think a drain is actually necessary. the soap isn't toxic and i guess the alkalinity is good for the soil. as long as i get water i'm in good shape.

the only drawback is that i can't take a shit in the shower like i normally do.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#5 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

nsfw?

Spoiler

#6 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:28 AM

nsfw?

Spoiler

yes, i suppose that would be a much cheaper alternative. are you prepared to live on my roof?
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#7 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

nsfw?

Spoiler

yes, i suppose that would be a much cheaper alternative. are you prepared to live on my roof?

and drink a LOT.
I still don't have a signature.

#8 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,742 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

ive got a couple neighbors i would like to encourage this idea with HEYO! zing!

#9 azwestdevil72

azwestdevil72

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

a friend of mine has a pool shower he hooks up to a hose kinda like this one in the picture. This one is $50 here: http://www.redspools.com/Shower.asp

#10 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

^ DUNK

#11 anderbass

anderbass

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

For drainage you could use a Dutch Well. Its just like maybe 4'x4' hole dug in your shower floor area, and then filled back in with any 2" or larger rocks, and then top it off with some kind of deck on top that drains and is comfortable to stand on. It'll collect lots of water and then let it soak into the surrounding soil without getting muddy on top.

#12 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

For drainage you could use a Dutch Well. Its just like maybe 4'x4' hole dug in your shower floor area, and then filled back in with any 2" or larger rocks, and then top it off with some kind of deck on top that drains and is comfortable to stand on. It'll collect lots of water and then let it soak into the surrounding soil without getting muddy on top.

any idea how deep? i was thinking about this (although i didn't realize it was called a dutch well) and trying to figure out how big of a pit i'd be digging. you know, on account of it being hot as fuck and all.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

#13 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

any idea how deep? i was thinking about this (although i didn't realize it was called a dutch well) and trying to figure out how big of a pit i'd be digging. you know, on account of it being hot as fuck and all.

The fuckin DUTCH! Gotta hand it to them. Just dig, man!! Couple feet would be plenty, i bet. You should only dig in the middle of the night, as to not raise any suspicion.

#14 anderbass

anderbass

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I'd think a couple feet deep would probably be fine, not counting the space rocks take up, a 4'x4'x2' hole would hold 239 gallons:http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/waterops/redesign/calculators/volcalchtm.htm

#15 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Yeah I'd think a couple feet deep would probably be fine, not counting the space rocks take up, a 4'x4'x2' hole would hold 239 gallons:http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/waterops/redesign/calculators/volcalchtm.htm

holy crap, check out the new guy with the math skills! Ya know, Tony, you should probably get a pan of some sort to stand in while you shower, and then you can pump that water into your garden after you're done. Yoo could siphon it straight to your 'maters.

I got it. You get a rain barrel...the plastic kind. cut the top off, then cut a door way in to it, leaving the bottom intact, so you have to step up 8 inches or so to step in. (Even put a couple hinges on the door so it swings open and closed.) Double whammy. You have something to catch all the water (put a valve/drain at the bottom/side of the barrel to drain to your garden) AND you have privacy... for a guy, anyways. I'll totally help you with this hippy shit. I'll fire up the sawz-all!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users