11 replies to this topic

#1 Eponymized

Eponymized

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

I've been posting to the Shizz minibosses forums for 2 years or so, but mostly just lurking. Anyway, I went to the trunk space last friday to see the protomen, and it made me realize how much of a local music scene I've been missing. So I decided that I want to get into this craziness and start playing some shows because I love to play music and I love being in a band, but I really don't know how to start. I've got a myspace with a whole bunch of songs listed on my myspace (myspace.com/alexisgelinas) but I don't really know any local venues or any other local bands to talk to so I thought I'd come here. If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Posted Image

#2 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

YAY!!!

i dont have any advice but i think it's awesome that you are down to get invovled!

#3 gbell

gbell

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Don't have a lot of advice to offer, new to the Phoenix area and music scene myself, but from my experiences, getting out, making contacts at shows, and getting involved in sites like this you're bound to stumble down the right path. There are a lot of great people out there (and on this site)that are willing to share their experiences and help you along the way. Best of luck to you in your musical pursuit.

Not sure why the jealousy occurred, maybe just the envisioning of my man meat being the pleasure pole for some other lucky lady (yea, I said it, you can quote me on that lol)

#4 Eponymized

Eponymized

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

I should also mention that I'm 20 years old (dunno if that affects WHERE I can play) and I really have little experience playing shows. I played in a church band in mesa for 2 years so I have no problems with playing songs live, I just don't know anything about the infrastructure of the local music scene. I've got songs written and willing musicians to play with me but I have no clue who to contact about actually gigging somewhere.

If anyone knows any local venues around ASU or downtown phoenix that I could contact that'd be great.
Posted Image

#5 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

trunk space is the first place I would hit up there is a link to them on the home page of the shizz.

they are all ages and a great group of people to get to know (steph, jrc, diana, and all the kids that hang there)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#6 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Seconded on Trunk Space.

PS they are having a huge show tonight with Titus Andronicus (sp?)

Go to this. Meet people. Introduce yourself. Bring a demo. If you don't have one, contact me and I'll record a couple songs for your band at my house.

Donesy

#7 Eponymized

Eponymized

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Yeah I'll definitely do this. :)

Thanks guys
Posted Image

#8 thebiggameover

thebiggameover

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

posting on the shizz is a great start. but yea, just start going to the places where you want to play and hang out. you will find the hook ups from there...

thebiggameover.png

my twitter

mohawk babies make me insane

#9 Eponymized

Eponymized

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

The problem is that I don't know any venues, and because I'm not really plugged into the local bands, I don't know where to go to see music.
Posted Image

#10 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

The problem is that I don't know any venues, and because I'm not really plugged into the local bands, I don't know where to go to see music.

http://www.azpunk.co...t/alpha#section
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#11 Eponymized

Eponymized

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for!
Posted Image

#12 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

also, check out the shows forum and the calendar here (okay, the calendar isn't updated enough, we know).
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users