9 replies to this topic

#1 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

a coworker of mine is working on a website to help artists drive traffic to their band sites. he's just started it up (launch 2/1/11) and is looking for artists to submit bios, links to their site, and a song or song snippet to feature on the site. you can find it here: http://www.webhitsongs.com all exposure is good exposure, right?
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#2 Dez

Dez

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

The site is a bit like a guitar center ad or something. Too much flash for my eyes or something. I definitely like the idea, though! You're such a supportive friend. Stay gold, Jerms ;)

#3 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

agreed. Needs help with design!
I still don't have a signature.

#4 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

yeah.. i didn't really want to get into that with him. figured i'd let artists give him that feedback. like "i think what you're doing is awesome and thanks for the support but here are some suggestions on design and presentation...."

#5 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

yeah.. i didn't really want to get into that with him. figured i'd let artists give him that feedback. like "i think what you're doing is awesome and thanks for the support but here are some suggestions on design and presentation...."

heyo! 1994 up in here!

he might not get any feedback if artists dont sign up (because of the design). sadly that site doesn't look serious or like it could help at all. it looks outdated.
i hate to be so critical but design can make or break you for sures! Good design lends credibility, bad design takes it away.

awesome design levels up and brands you.

tell him to hire a professional web designer asap and get rid of google ad sense

#6 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

thanks for the feeback, guys. i'll forward it on to him. i'll try to be gentle.

#7 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

tell him to hire a professional web designer asap and get rid of google ad sense

and an editor.

On 2/1/11 The Wait Will Soon Be Over

You've written a song that you believe in your heart could be Hit Song, given the opportunity.

i'm quick to throw out the "grammar rodeo" reference around here, and i hate to over-use it. but in this case, homeboy needs to attend the grammar rodeo.

and yes, i appreciate the irony of me nitpicking grammar and syntax. and the irony of anyone on the shizz complaining about an old school looking layout.

Posted Image
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#8 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

it's just that there are so many online music sites for bands/music fans out there - myspace, soundcloud, purevolume, overplay, etc, etc

he's going to have to find a new way to distinguish himself better.

he should look at those sites and check out his competition.

#9 Danosaur

Danosaur

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

and an editor.

On 2/1/11 The Wait Will Soon Be Over

You've written a song that you believe in your heart could be Hit Song, given the opportunity.

i'm quick to throw out the "grammar rodeo" reference around here, and i hate to over-use it. but in this case, homeboy needs to attend the grammar rodeo.

and yes, i appreciate the irony of me nitpicking grammar and syntax. and the irony of anyone on the shizz complaining about an old school looking layout.

Posted Image

the shizz front page may look like it was done up in frontpage but its simple and to the point. This site is all over the map and is obivously developed with frontpage. Maybe have him check out Joomla or Drupal and run the site off one of those open source CMS. Way easy to design for with out even really needing much knowledge of webdesign.

#10 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

thanks again for the feedback, guys. he's been playing music for about 35 years and i think is looking to get exposed to some new original music while at the same time creating a hub for some bands and trying to help out a bit. i don't know that he's checked out the other sites that are doing the same thing. i don't see him putting any large financial investment into it like most of those other sites tho so it's likely going to remain pretty simple. i pretty much expected the reviews that you've all come back with. myself and another coworker have kind of hinted at all these things but don't want to get him too discouraged. but i'll definitely be letting him know what the general consensus is out there. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users