57 replies to this topic

#1 /Mr DNA/

/Mr DNA/

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:54 AM

anyone have a favorite program for cleaning up wav files recorded from vinyl before converting to mp3?. i suppose i should have thought of this earlier as my hard drive is filling up quick.

i already have at my disposal acid pro 4.0, creative mediasource eax, and steinberg wave lab. any preferences or others i should check out?

recordings were from a decent stylus/cartridge setup and thru a dedicated phono preamp, but minimal occassional popping still exists, especially on some older records.

any suggestions welcomed.

#2 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:58 AM

what do you need to rip vinyl into mp3's???? i always wondered how you did that.

#3 vitaminardi

vitaminardi

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:58 AM

Cool edit pro fro PC's is great...and its also a good all around editor. I have a free one called sound studio that came with my mac that works great for minidisc and vinyl.
conquistador of the useless

#4 /Mr DNA/

/Mr DNA/

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:27 AM

Cool edit pro fro PC's is great...

thanks richard. i had cool edit pro at one time. its probably still around here somewhere. unless thats one i gave to billy...

what do you need to rip vinyl into mp3's???? i always wondered how you did that.

you need:
1. phono source, i.e. turntable, connected to
2. phono preamp, to bring the signal back to line level, connected to
3. inputs on your soundcard or motherboard.
4. a wave file recording program.
5. a wave file editing program (so you can record the whole side and split the tracks later, and so you can clean up any unwanted noise in the recording.
6. a program to convert waves to mp3s

#2 is probably the most tricky. if your receiver/preamp has phono inputs and line outputs you can use that. i am using a numark mixer, which i like because it allows me to monitor the levels at the preamp, in addition to the recording levels the computer monitors. if you dont have either of those, PAiA electronics has a pretty reasonably priced kit to build your own phono preamp (and a bunch of other cool project kits - ive never built any of their kits but ive heard good things).

#5 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:27 AM

I just ripped, and burned, all my old 78's to cd........
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#6 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:32 AM

you need:
1. phono source, i.e. turntable, connected to
2. phono preamp, to bring the signal back to line level, connected to
3. inputs on your soundcard or motherboard.
4. a wave file recording program.
5. a wave file editing program (so you can record the whole side and split the tracks later, and so you can clean up any unwanted noise in the recording.
6. a program to convert waves to mp3s

#2 is probably the most tricky. if your receiver/preamp has phono inputs and line outputs you can use that. i am using a numark mixer, which i like because it allows me to monitor the levels at the preamp, in addition to the recording levels the computer monitors. if you dont have either of those, PAiA electronics has a pretty reasonably priced kit to build your own phono preamp (and a bunch of other cool project kits - ive never built any of their kits but ive heard good things).

damn... well, i will give it a shot.. thanks for the info.

#7 Guest_FrankX10_*

Guest_FrankX10_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

Cool Edit Pro all the way!!

The pop and hiss filter rules for recording old vinyl.
It is a slow process unless you have a super fast computer, but worth it.

I like some vinyl sound, which you will never get completely rid of.
But if you have the huge pops on some abused vinyl, it will take care of it.

#8 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

I use my integrated amp (receiver w/o the tuner) as my phono pre, but I have 2 stand alones as well..and. use this cheap ass "Magix audio cleaner" program....
DB- I can walk you through the whole thing at my place some day, and dup the prgram for you, and hook you up with a pre if you need one...... whenever...lemme know.....I rip about 5 records per week, I'm obssesed....I was super psyched to do the 78's....
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#9 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

I gave up on transferring vinyl. It took too much time. I only do it in special cases now, like when a 7" record isn't available on cd.

I used to use Soundforge, but now I'm using something called NGwave. ($40.00 downloadable wave editor).

#10 /Mr DNA/

/Mr DNA/

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:48 AM

Hooray For Everything - do you immediately convert to mp3, or do you just transfer to waves and leave them, just to have your vinyl in a more accessible format?

my original intention was to rip some stuff for my mp3 player, but the more i do the more i find myself wanting to go out and get another hard drive just to keep waves of all the b-sides/rarities/etc .

#11 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:15 AM

I use my integrated amp (receiver w/o the tuner) as my phono pre, but I have 2 stand alones as well..and. use this cheap ass "Magix audio cleaner" program....
DB- I can walk you through the whole thing at my place some day, and dup the prgram for you, and hook you up with a pre if you need one...... whenever...lemme know.....I rip about 5 records per week, I'm obssesed....I was super psyched to do the 78's....

that would be great. i have some jimmy reed that i would like to get on cd. where do you shop for vinyl? i used to go to tracks - n - wax but haven't been there for a while.

#12 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:43 PM

I go everywhere BUT tracks in wax & stinkweeds.....I like the thrift stores, the swap meets, yard sales, and I actually find a lot at Zia, cause the people that work there are dipshits...or already have their fill.

the joy of records for me is in finding something super cool & super cheap...if I buy it at Tracks in Wax, etc, somebody's already done the work for me, which takes the fun out of it....

It's the same with clothers....Buffalo Exchange=not cool. Thrift Store=cool.....

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#13 Guest_hooray_for_nothing_*

Guest_hooray_for_nothing_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

fuck vinyl

y'all need to get your heads out of your asses and join us here in the 21st century.

#14 Guest_fissionary_*

Guest_fissionary_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:35 PM

It's the same with clothers....Buffalo Exchange=not cool. Thrift Store=cool.....

Oh, so you're the arbiter of coolness now. Good to know.
I'd put money on having more cool shit from Buffalo than you've got from anywhere.

#15 Guest_Donny_*

Guest_Donny_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:58 PM

I like cassettes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users