skeksis's Content

There have been 193 items by skeksis (Search limited from 05-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1058430 Two chihuahua pups need homes...

Posted by skeksis on 01 July 2011 - 10:31 AM in The Shizz General Forum

sorry, crappy cell phone pics...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1057946 Two chihuahua pups need homes...

Posted by skeksis on 30 June 2011 - 10:00 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Two super-cute approx 12wk old chihuahua puppies looking for a home. Take one or both :-) Fawn colored females, one is tiny @ maybe 3 lbs, 6-8" tall - the other is a little bigger, maybe 4 lbs and 8"+. About the size of a large roof rat.

Healthy, playful, well-adjusted, adventurous pups that LOVE people. Good looking, well put-together for chihuahuas - not bug-eyed or other oddness. Still working on he house-training. But we're talking chihuahua pups, the puddles/turds are veeerry small.

They get along well with our big dogs, but the big ones (75, 55 lbs) aren't really gentle enough... they just don't get it.

I'll try to post pics later this morning. PM me with any questions :-)

As much as my wife is enjoying the tiny dogs (has called them Barkley and Mr Chompers), they don't fit our household well at all... so we've gotta get the adoption service started.

#1046390 What Bands Are You In?

Posted by skeksis on 25 May 2011 - 08:36 AM in The Shizz General Forum

My new band is shaping up nicely - The Minor Injuries...
theminorinjuries.com

also - we're working on a rough demo - here's a draft track:

#1029593 Does anyone have..............

Posted by skeksis on 07 April 2011 - 10:45 AM in The Shizz General Forum

I've got essentially that same juicer model - think maybe I got it at Target? works good, fairly easy to clean. When the citrus are in season, I'll juice like crazy. Love fresh orange and grapefruit juice. Have had mine for maybe 2 years now, and it's still running strong.

Two young orange trees (good ones) and one sweet lime tree in my backyard, in a year or two we'll have tons!

#1028258 50 miles

Posted by skeksis on 04 April 2011 - 04:56 PM in The Shizz General Forum

the 50 miles thing doesn't concern me nearly so much as the 21 May thing... will be seriously warm by then. But I might be on board as something to work towards.

Any idea what sort of pace you'll be keeping? I have a decent older road bike, and do quite a bit of commuter riding... but not into the spandex thing.

Got to talking with my wife's dad recently about how back in the day he used to do 200km (around 130 miles) in the hills around the south bay area... whew!

#1026288 The 80's Thread.

Posted by skeksis on 30 March 2011 - 02:47 PM in The Shizz General Forum

buckaroo bonzai +1!

#1023748 Currently Thinking........

Posted by skeksis on 23 March 2011 - 11:53 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Got a raise and this summer work is going to let me do 4 10 hour shifts instead of 5 8 hours, AWESOME, and I saw my favorite band last night. It's great to be alive today. And I had a hangover when I was going through my annual. Like a BOSS.

4x10's are great - even more so in the summer so you can take the long weekend and get the eff out of Phoenix :-)

Unless you work outside - then 4x10's in the summer are ROUGH. I've done it, not recommended.

#1021585 Its Friday mawfuggas!

Posted by skeksis on 17 March 2011 - 02:22 PM in The Shizz General Forum

An old friend of mine felt compelled to cover that fine song:

#1021224 Its Friday mawfuggas!

Posted by skeksis on 16 March 2011 - 11:13 AM in The Shizz General Forum

My new band, the minor injuries, makes its debut at the Icehouse Tavern this Friday, 3/18 :-) early slot, 9pm or so. I mean, I know it's an icehouse show, but kinda excited about this...

#1021173 Forgotten Phoenix Celebrities

Posted by skeksis on 16 March 2011 - 09:11 AM in The Shizz General Forum

If I've got my facts straight - Carbajal family are the core of the 9th St gang, which was a big part of what wrecked the neighborhood in the first place 1980s/1990s... One of the roughest gangs ever in Phx. They own many properties around 9th st & pierce/fillmore, and an old church converted to a boxing gym. M's brother/manager had his own wife killed when she threatened to divorce him, then had other family members forge documents signing over ownership of the properties to the brother. Ugh. I think he's sitting in jail because of that.

Occasionally when M gets drunk (frequent) and stumbles around the neighborhood, he gets into trouble with the cops and it makes the news.

ANYWAY. Just saying, I don't know the guy, but his peeps are generally bad news.

#1017553 Anyone want to play Icehouse Tavern 3/18?

Posted by skeksis on 03 March 2011 - 09:26 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Friday night 3/18, the guys organizing (Chimichanga Riots) are looking for a third band... it would be the 3rd spot, probably starting around 11 or 11:30.

My brand-spanking-new band (The Minor Injuries, alt country grading to indie rock) are opening the night... Chimis (meat puppets blended w/ wilco) are 2nd, and they want you for the 3rd spot. Not genre specific, would help if it wasn't worlds different though.

Post or PM me, will figure it out. Thx.

#1017095 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 02 March 2011 - 04:19 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Close to settling on 'the minor injuries'

I like it, seams reasonably alt-country.

Any thoughts? terrible idea? after discussing some 300 possibilities, I can't even tell any more...

#1016668 la tolteca tonight

Posted by skeksis on 01 March 2011 - 03:57 PM in The Shizz General Forum

today i walked around downtown and stopped at free trade cafe and i think i saw donald's lady there but i didn't wanna be like "I KNOW YOU FROM THE INTERNET BUT YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW ME EVEN THOUGH I THINK WE MET ONCE."

This describes a lot of life in downtown Phx if you're on the shizz :-)

#1016192 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 28 February 2011 - 01:56 PM in The Shizz General Forum

cockfight

pretty good one, plus kinda captures the pretty-much-all-dudes attendance at most alt-country shows...

Is this why alt-country girls are always so popular even it they aren't that good??

You're likely on to something there... flip side though - I might dare to suggest that question could/should be asked about girls in a lot of rock-related subgenres.

#1016138 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 28 February 2011 - 11:48 AM in The Shizz General Forum

cockfight

pretty good one, plus kinda captures the pretty-much-all-dudes attendance at most alt-country shows...

#1016099 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 28 February 2011 - 10:41 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Just some samples of what this band sounds like... this was yesterday, our 3rd practice. And yeah, it was practice, so some looseness for sure. Any more name ideas? :rolleyes:

ps - the levels are low, so will need to turn up your speakers a bit. sorry.

literally brand new - learned yesterday, this was 3rd time through...

#1015817 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 27 February 2011 - 11:28 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Been mining history and geography... our list of possible names is pushing up near 300 at this point (!) though the short list is really about ten of them. 3/4 of the band likes the 'sweet spirits of cats a fighting', but can't get the last guy on board. plus my wife thinks it's dumb. pretty much every time we near settling on something, turns out there's another current band - usually in a vaguely americana bent - out there using the name. just some ideas from this morning...

the swillings
butterfield overland mail co.
bradshaw
the hemenway expedition
preisthood of the bow
arrest and exoneration
the wetherills
hyde expedition
the wide ruins
mancos
la cienega
whiteriver
the whetstones
gadsden
winterhaven

#1015236 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 25 February 2011 - 12:51 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Black Canyon Shitty

LOL

also, Roscoe is my brother's old beagle's name. awfully dumb animal :-)

#1015233 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 25 February 2011 - 12:49 PM in The Shizz General Forum

thanks for playing :-)

I do like black boots

Also - if it were up to me... I'd use lots of obscure amp/vacuum tube references (6L6 for example) but those names don't hold up as well if you don't get the reference. We were thinking about calling the band the eighteen watts... but if you don't know about small Marshalls, doesn't make for a good name.

another idea:

the spitunes

#1015204 Alt country band names?

Posted by skeksis on 25 February 2011 - 12:07 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Got the lineup sorted out for my new band... (sounding really strong, by the way - I'm excited) and we booked an Icehouse gig next month. Drive By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Lucero kind of stuff. BUT we still haven't settled on a band name.

Some better ideas so far include:

rosco
the juncos
the split rails
the whiptails
mule kick
sweet spirits of cats-a-fighting (guitarist likes this one)
delco

Any ideas?

#1014607 The Life of Chance is A or B

Posted by skeksis on 23 February 2011 - 10:35 PM in The Shizz General Forum

did anyone explain about shizz polls when that thundertortoise poll got hijacked before?

if not: basically pretty much every poll posted has an option for 'vin fiz'; and vin fiz wins pretty much every poll. doesn't much matter what the topic is. I am not sure why this is, exactly, but it has been this way for as long as I can remember... IIRC vin fiz was/is one of the original shizz-related bands from back in the day... but there are others on the board who can explain that.

SO now you've been warned :-) advise updating the poll, revising storyline of comic to somehow reflect this vin fiz thing, and you'll be in fine shape :D

#1013477 Currently Listening To:

Posted by skeksis on 21 February 2011 - 11:27 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Trying to decide which album to download (I can only get one):

The Drive-By Truckers - Go Go Boots
Yuck - Self-titled
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die

All three seem pretty great, I just don't know what mood I'm in for. Between No Age and Jaill, I've kind of had my fill of youthful indie stuff for a while, and I've been listening to Deer Tick a lot lately. It's been a while since I went on a depressing post-rock kick, so maybe Mogwai is the way to go.

As of last week, you could stream the Yuck on guardian.co.uk, it's a solid, confident album like a mature '90s band circa 1997. Saw them in Phx a couple weeks ago, totally blew me away - really strong. 'couse I'm a child of the 1990's so, I have a soft spot for those tones.

Can't go wrong with DBT's too :-)

#1009466 Currently Thinking........

Posted by skeksis on 11 February 2011 - 10:13 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Yeah, I've got tickets to the smith westerns tonight. Mainly keeping a friend company (he's into this hipster nostalgia rock)... guessing for certain I'll be the oldest guy in the room :-/ Grant me patience :-)

Verdict: Smith Westerns = not my thing, and loose & immature...; Yuck = an opener that thoroughly blew the headliner out of the water - solid playing, good songs, great tones. If sleater kinney, dinosaur jr, other thick rocked up shoegazy stuff from the 90's makes a comeback, Yuck will be stars :-)

#1009460 drummer?

Posted by skeksis on 11 February 2011 - 10:03 AM in The Shizz General Forum

Thanks guys :-)

I don't know Chris - any chance you'd be able to point him to that CL ad, see if it's close enough to what he's looking for?

My songwriting is a lot more focused/structured than Rum Tenor, and this may grade a bit more to rock at times... but there's definitely some overlap in terms of overall philosophy.

#1009229 guitar tutors?

Posted by skeksis on 10 February 2011 - 08:23 PM in The Shizz General Forum

patience sir, not certain how often that vining dude actually uses a computer :-)