92 replies to this topic

#1 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

I have been waiting in anticipation and it is now open.

It's now on Van Buren just east of 17th Ave.

They currently can't take plastic, but there is a circle K across the street with an ATM machine.

I finally got my caffeine fix :)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#2 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

yay! :D

#3 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yes, they are finally open!

We shot some Phoenix Neutrino scenes there on Saturday and they went ridiculously well.

That show will be up and online pretty soon and I can't wait for you all to see the glory of the new Willow House as captured by our cameras.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#4 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

I love the Phoenix Neutrino Project.

Selling girls bodies for the paperheart and willow house was awesome.

Yes, they are finally open!

We shot some Phoenix Neutrino scenes there on Saturday and they went ridiculously well.

That show will be up and online pretty soon and I can't wait for you all to see the glory of the new Willow House as captured by our cameras.

People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#5 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

The Phoenix Neutrino show that we shot at the Willow House (and other downtown locations) is finally up online!

Click on http://www.phoenixneutrino.com - it's right there, "Purple Belted Flamingos and Beach Ball."

There are a lot of fun cameos!
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#6 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

I was in Phoenix for less than a day a few weeks ago, but long enough to grab a sandwich at the new location. As one who has called Willow my home away from my home, my church, my refuge... as one who made Willow my first visit as soon as I pulled off the freeway every time I traveled from L.A. to Phoenix... I was very skeptical about this move. I actually love the new place and I'm excited to keep my eye out for its progress. I hope all you Shizzites support this place as often as possible, and be sure to throw an extra bill in the tip jar for me!

#7 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

just so you all knowm nothings changed, the art is still horrible, and the open mic is too!!

:lol:

Change locations, not your strengths!
I love the place.
JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#8 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

Has anyone else heard the rumor that there is going to be a new coffee house in the old Willow House location, and it's going to be called "The Willo House," and is not affiliated with the Willow House?

If it's true it's a sneaky, possibly illegal thing to do!

#9 hunter

hunter

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

not really, i doubt that the willow house was copyrighted/trademarked. besides, defunct business names aren't protected if they never filed an intent to use at one time showing they were operating a business w/ that name..
Wii: 5897-7799-8236-4316
Xbox Live: hunterxaz
PSN: hunterxaz

http://www.hunterxaz...raid_to_die.mp3

#10 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone else heard the rumor that there is going to be a new coffee house in the old Willow House location, and it's going to be called "The Willo House," and is not affiliated with the Willow House?

If it's true it's a sneaky, possibly illegal thing to do!

Not a rumor.

http://www.willohouse.net

It's probably not illegal (leglese-laden technicalities aside), but I think it's unethical.

#11 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Not a rumor.

http://www.willohouse.net

It's probably not illegal (leglese-laden technicalities aside), but I think it's unethical.

Boycott

#12 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

i say the more coffeehouses in phoenix the better, i dont care what it's called. Also Willo is the neighborhood across the street from the place - maybe they are naming it after that and not after willowhouse.....

ok that's a lame excuse but still, its nice that something is going in there that's of real public use instead of a law office or overpriced restaurant.

i'm not gonna lie, i will probably go there because it's so close to my house. better there than starfucks

#13 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'll probably check the place out, but I do think it's an unethical thing to do. Do they think people would just not go there if they came up with a completely different name?

#14 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

i say the more coffeehouses in phoenix the better, i dont care what it's called. Also Willo is the neighborhood across the street from the place - maybe they are naming it after that and not after willowhouse.....

ok that's a lame excuse but still, its nice that something is going in there that's of real public use instead of a law office or overpriced restaurant.

i'm not gonna lie, i will probably go there because it's so close to my house. better there than starfucks

I generally agree that more independent coffeehouses, public gathering places, and businesses are a good thing.

My issue is that it seems like an obvious play to capitalize on the name and reputation that the Willow House (the coffeehouse business, not the physical property - they're two different things, apparently) built.

Any confusion between the two businesses (Willow House and Willo House) is likely to benefit the "new" Willo House and it's also likely that that benefit would be at the expense of the Original Willow House that's now on 17th and Van Buren. That's at the expense of another independent business that was established earlier and is still around. That doesn't sit well with me.

I've pretty much decided I won't go there, but I don't begrudge others for not doing so. In all likelihood, most people won't care because it'll be a close, centrally-located place to hang out.

I'm with Weener, though ... they have a chance to strike out and forge a new, distinct identity and legacy that's separate from Willow House, even if it's in the same building that housed them for years. That would be awesome.

Striking out and creating something new takes work, though, and it just seems that they'd rather be lazy and leech off the reputation in something they had not hand in creating.

---

If Donald ever lost the URL rights to TheShizz.org and decided to move to TheShizz.net, I think it would be pretty crummy for someone in the Phoenix music scene to buy the TheShizz.org domain and try to start something simliar.

I've used TheShizz.net in my hypothetical because I've already bought up TheShizz.biz, TheShizz.info, and TheShizz.name!

#15 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

Now I know who has theshizz.net :)

I think it is unethical as well, and will not purchase any beverages from that location even though it is closer to me than the new Willow House.

it's a bummer cause if it was any other name, I would at least try it out.

That's me and my closed mindedness talking I guess.

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users