92 replies to this topic

#91 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, I've been waiting to hear back from people about Hob Nobs to decide whether I would even pass through, so I appreciate JRC and Apple taking the plunge.

I wasn't a fan that they were planning to call it something Willow Housey, but once that idea got dropped, I was very slightly more open to checking it out, especially since it's still an independent business.

It does sound, though, like I can pass altogether. I don't think any of us expected a rerun of the Willow House, but it sounds like it's a little passively hostile.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#92 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

i hardly ever drink coffee, and when i do, i don't feel like paying $3 for it.

that said, the hob nob owners are just trying to run a small business AND they have to compete against the likes of starbucks. willow house was cool the few times i went to see a show or whatever, but the business failed. the new owners are taking a pretty huge risk by just opening the doors. and yes, they made a stupid mistake by trying to leech off the willow house name and probably alienated some customers. they probably didn't realize how personally people would take it when they came in and tried to put their spin on things.

apple had a lousy experience - and that sucks. rude service is not going to win them much business. but i say give them a chance. i'd rather have them on the corner than a starbucks. or a vacant building.

for what it's worth, i have never been in hob nobs and have no vested interest in their success.

and sorry for being up on my high horse lately. i get all uppity from time to time.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#93 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

I don't think I mentioned this ...

The 7th Street Cafe (7th Street and Pierce, a few streets south of Roosevelt) is now open, but under limited hours for now.

They're generally open on Friday and Saturday evenings when there are shows going on at Space 55. They're also open during the day on Sundays. It's cozy and laid back there. The prices are really affordable from what I've seen - verging on cheap.

I can't really vouch for the coffee as I don't really drink coffee, but the hot chocolate was good (understand, though, that Steph's hot chocolate at Trunk Space is my favorite number one stunna).

Re: Hob Nobs - I don't wish them ill, but the way they have it set up, it's not really inviting and comfortable as a place to settle in with a warm drink. It seems to be set up more as restaurant (and their food is good from what I understand, if not just a tad overpriced), which isn't really what I think most WH expats are looking for. It's kind of a moot point since Fair Trade, Conspire, Lux (though I've never felt comfy there), and Copper Star exist.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users