92 replies to this topic

#16 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

Is this owned by the same people who own the Willo Bakery?

If so then I understand, and am not as opposed since they already had the Willo name.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#17 glitterbot

glitterbot

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

which came first? the willo bakery or the original willlow house coffee shop?
"Now get out. You're banned from this historical society. You and your children, and your children's children... for three months. "

Posted Image

#18 bunnyeyes

bunnyeyes

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

which came first? the willo bakery or the original willlow house coffee shop?

The Willow House came first followed by Willo Bakery, not to mention how many other things in the neighborhood that are called Willo something or other. The Willow house has also been sold now about 3 times.

#19 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:37 AM

Is this owned by the same people who own the Willo Bakery?

If so then I understand, and am not as opposed since they already had the Willo name.

In my emails with the folks that are running Willo House, they haven't indicated that they're associated with the Willo Bakery folks. If they were, I would assume that that would be something they would mention.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#20 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,401 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Why couldn't they have called it something like the "Willo Coffee Shop" or "Willo Cafe"? That would be more ethical than what they chose to do, and I'd have fewer qualms about checking the place out.

#21 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I heard The Willow House is fully aware of this and gonna get it straightened out.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#22 rddenton

rddenton

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Shizzified
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

Hey Donald, this is Randy (the manager of the Willow House). Actually what I said was that the owner's of the Willow House are aware and believe they have legal options as, although they do not own the copyright to the name, they do have 16 years of established business. On the hand hand, I was talking to Alex yesterday and he said when he questioned the owner of the Willo House about the name he replied, "I can do whatever I want. I own the copyright to the Willow House as well as the Willo House."
Disturbing indeed.

music: Malakai

#23 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

maybe if enough people email the owners about their qualms about going there due to the name they'll change it? or write letters? Maybe they don't know that the name is making them look like a-holes.

#24 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

maybe if enough people email the owners about their qualms about going there due to the name they'll change it? or write letters? Maybe they don't know that the name is making them look like a-holes.

I had actually written them a while back when I first caught wind of their naming shenanigans (around the time of the Willo Home Tour, where they flyered cars that were parked in the neighborhood).

They maintain that they're not trying to leech off the Willow House name and just really trying to provide what the neighborhood needs.

So, I think that they're either really naive or just really self-deluded about the whole thing.

Do send them an email, though, so that they know that even more people think that their naming plans are whacked.

If they simply decided to call their place something else, I don't think there's any doubt that people wouldn't hesitate to support them while still supporting the real Willow House.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#25 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

If they're going to be like that, there's no WAY I'd check out their coffee shop.

#26 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hey Randy, I had posted the message you replied to a few months ago because of what I had heard another Barrista say about it.
I thought it had actually gotten taken care of, until I saw the sign for the Willo House the other day.

total bummer

I will not be shy in telling people how I feel about this.

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

#27 Transparent Human Being

Transparent Human Being

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

IANAL, but this is what the US copyright website has to say:

How do I copyright my business name? Which form do I use?
Names, titles, short phrases, and slogans are not copyrightable. You may have protection under the federal trademark laws. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for more information.

I believe you have legal options under trademark law, it looks like the douchebags that took over your old building are going to make you sue from the way they're acting. I moved here from California, where you have to register for a dba license and there are rules about names that can be confused for each other. I don't know how it works here in Arizona. Sucks that it looks like you're going to have to resort to a lawyer to protect your name.

It's a shame, if this new coffee house had played nice I'm sure the community would have welcomed another hang out spot.

#28 cabinboy

cabinboy

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hey Donald, this is Randy (the manager of the Willow House). Actually what I said was that the owner's of the Willow House are aware and believe they have legal options as, although they do not own the copyright to the name, they do have 16 years of established business. On the hand hand, I was talking to Alex yesterday and he said when he questioned the owner of the Willo House about the name he replied, "I can't do whatever I want. I own the copyright to the Willow House as well as the Willo House."
Disturbing indeed.

can't or can?

either wy- TOOL!

ive net these new owners and they are loud and obnoxious
eff it.

#29 Guest_Whisper_*

Guest_Whisper_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

What a punk move! I definitely will not be going there. We should all get together and graffiti the word "POSER!!!" all over their building.

#30 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

i've written folks at the new times and told my other
journalist friends. if an article or two gets out, that might
be the best way to hurt their business. i think taking willo
house as their name is a pretty crummy thing to do, even
if it's legal. pretty unethical in the world of business.

you can write folks here.
regardless of what you think of the writing in the new times, they
have a large downtown readership and an article would do wonders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users