405 replies to this topic

#361 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, it's pretty much all clean now although it stunk horribly! I went with the Westmalle...not sure why though, as LFDM would've been great.

Hooray for brewing! I forget how much fun it is...the Westmalle is bubbling ferociously while the Paulaner is far more subdued. Hopefully I can bottle this weekend...

Next up is the uber-IPA that my friend Aaron suggested to me

Extract recipe:
7# Munton's light DME (NOT LME)
1.25# Crystal 60
0.5# Cara-pils dextrine malt

pellet hops -- if you want to use whole leaf hops increase the amount
of hops for each addition by 25%:
1 oz Mt. Hood (FWH)
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.5 oz Mt. Hood (30 min)
1 oz Mt. Hood (flameout)
1 oz Columbus (dry hop)

yeast (these are all the same type of yeast, just from different labs):
1 packet Safale US-56 OR
2 tubes White Labs WLP001 OR
1 tube White Labs WLP001 started at least 2 days before and added to a
start OR
1 small smack pack Wyeast 1056, started 3 days before (make a starter) OR
1 activator pack Wyeast 1056 started at least 2 days before and added
to a starter for at least 1 day

Technique notes:
1. For a clean and crisp taste to this beer it is absolutely
imperative that enough yeast be pitched, so don't neglect making a
starter if you're using liquid yeast.
2. Heat the water up to about 130 degrees, turn the flame off and
reconstitute the dry malt extract at this point. Also, add the
specialty malts at this time as well as the FWH (first wort hopping)
hops. Use pellet hops for higher alpha acid extraction and do NOT
contain them in a nylon bag. Yes this is a little annoying later but
if you want the hoppy beer this is the technique that gets the bitter
out of the hops and into the beer. If you can find these hops in whole
leaf form, it will be much easier to separate the hops from the wort
later.
3. Heat up to 170 degrees over the next 20 minutes or so, then remove
the specialty malts. If you leave them in the beer will taste
astringent and tannic.
4. Proceed as usual (heat to boiling, add 60 minute hop addition,
wait, add 30 min hop addition, wait, add flameout hops at the end of
the 1 hour boil). Do not use nylon bags for hops, let them tumble
around freely.
5. Cool the wort down enough so that the wort plus the cold water in
the carboy will give you a reconstituted wort that's 55 degrees. This
is also a reason to add a lot of yeast initially -- the yeast will get
off to a slow start because the fermentation temperature is cool.
6. Ferment cool, at 55-60 degrees F, until ~80% done fermenting. Rack
and add dry hops in secondary. Dry hop for at least two weeks and
bottle.

All-grain recipe:
Same ingredients except for malt. I assume a 65% extraction efficiency
from the malt.
14# 2-row North American Pale Malt
1.25# Crystal 60
0.5# Cara-pils dextrine malt

To FWH an all-grain batch, add the hops to the boiling vessel as soon
as you start collecting wort during the sparge.

I think I'm gonna investigate alternatives to the Mt. Hood hops...

#362 Naz

Naz

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

brewing didn't happen because my friend is a chump.

As is usual with my friends I suppose...

#363 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

Christine and I decided to try brewing a Belgian IPA in the vein of Chouffe and others. Lacking a decent extract recipe, we decided to take a Belgian golden ale recipe and substitute hops typically used in American IPAs. Instead of Saaz and such, we used 2oz Magnum for bittering, 2oz Amarillo for flavor and 2 oz Cascade for aroma. We also purchased a blowoff tube and rigged up a thingy to catch any head blowoff during primary fermentation. Many belgian brewers report excessive blowoff, ours only had maybe an inch of head at its peak. So, we were a little worried something went wrong with it.

This weekend we transferred it to secondary and tried a couple sips, and our fears have been eliminated. It's going to be very good. We'll see how it mellows out with time, but right now maybe we should have only used 1oz of Magnum at the beginning. It's very bitter but I've brewed bitter beers that have mellowed considerably over a couple weeks in the bottle. Also, we thought the 6oz of hops covered up the subtleties of the Belgian ingredients, but then we compared it to Great Divide Fresh Hop Pale ale, and ours is totally Belgian by comparison. We normally don't sample in between primary and secondary fermentation, so we'll see how another 10 or so days in secondary changes the flavor. Hopefully we'll have a better idea at that point how the final result will turn out.

19388508_1549826031742117_52104236622698

#364 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

Awesome, John!! Let me know how that turns out.

The paulaner is at 1.02-1.018 or so gravity, which is still a bit high. It doesn't taste as sweet anymore, and I pitched in a better live culture of yeast, hopefully those can clean up whatever sugars are still digestible. The Westmalle is fucking POTENT!! I forget my exact hydrometer readings but I seem to have nailed it at about 10%, which is SWEET. It's harsh tho, I should be bottling both this weekend then brewing on sunday funday, a nice strong IPA.

#365 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

How is the Westmalle clone?

Also, as we were searching through recipes looking for a belgian golden ale recipe, we found a Four Peaks Hop Knot recipe. That may be next. It's only one of the best IPAs ever brewed.

#366 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

wish i could partake in your brew crafting boys
definitely keep the updates coming
i love to read this thread

speaking of kick ass IPA's
i've been enjoying this one a hell of a lot
at work thanks to my monthly tab.
weighs in at 20% ABV, definitely not a session beer

Posted Image

#367 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

You know, lots of people rant and rave about that one. I thought at $9.00 per 12 oz bottle, there are better out there. It was too sweet for my tastes, but I bet if you let one age for a while it would probably be good. But yeah, gimme a hop knot or a chouffe or a Great Divide Titan IPA or a Bear Republic Racer X, those are some amazing beers for far less $$.

#368 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

We bottled this weekend, the bitterness has mellowed substantially, but it's still pretty bitter. We'll see how the next two weeks treats it. Oh yeah, it's going to be one fucking awesome beer. Sherv, you wanna trade a Westmalle for one of ours?

#369 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

I finally bottled this Sunday...100 bottles is NOT fun to do at once, lemme tell you!

The Paulaner still tastes a little too sweet....I checked the gravity and it was at 1.012-1.010 which is the proper final gravity. Added blueberry extract and bottled, they should be solid!

The Westmalle...wow...this guy gives me a buzz from the first sip!! Well, not really, but I'm hella excited to try it out in a few months. I'll gladly trade with you, John, once I'm assured it'll be good. Instead of just bottling with priming sugar, I added some rock candy to it, that ought to help carbonation a lot.

I need to brew once more to fill up the keg, and then I'll be calling it a brew session till late summer.

#370 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

I had a Brown Shugga' from Laguintas Brewing Co. over the weekend. If you see it, give it a shot. High alcohol content, but really easy to drink and not as overpowering as a lot of the other high powered brews.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#371 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

Sweet!! I really like Lagunitas, their censored brew is mighty tasty!

#372 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

We did a Kölsch back in the fall which was really good. It was Ken Saxe's recipe from the Homebrew Depot, the one that won him gold medals and such. the only problem was we hadn't brewed in such a long time, we threw out most of our old bottles and we didn't have enough. We had to use two Four Peaks growlers, which didn't seal and the beer didn't carbonate. We re-bottled it once we had a few bottles emptied, but it had some off flavors.

But enough about what was wrong with it, what was right with it was that it was really, really good, and easy to make. I didn't even move it to secondary fermentation. When it was in primary, I had it in our second bathroom's tub, filled with water, and traded out frozen plastic bottles of water a couple times a day to keep fermentation temperatures down in the 68-70 degree range. I think the results were noticeable. Supposedly that yeast does best at those temperatures.

This past weekend we brewed again. We went to the homebrew depot and they were totally out of malt extracts, both dry and liquid. So, we reluctantly went to Brewer's Connection. I hadn't been in years. They moved to a different part of the strip mall and the store is much bigger and much improved. Last time, it was just the owner who was drunk and smoking, in a cramped space, with no malt extracts other than the canned, pre-hopped variety. Now it's much bigger with several employees working and everything you might want.

We went with their holiday ale this time. Here's the recipe. Yeah, so the holidays are over, that doesn't mean winter beers aren't any good any more. We did make a couple adjustments. the recipe calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. those are the four ingredients in Pumpkin Pie Spice, so we used that instead. Also, the paradise seeds we bought, I spilled them all over the kitchen trying to crush them. they didn't smell like anything, I don't know why they're in the recipe. Only about 1/4 of the bag went in the pot, the rest got swept up with the dog hair.

What is really interesting is the inclusion of canned pumpkin and how it's used - the combination of hot water plus the pumpkin plus the Amylase Enzyme, which digests carbohydrates. We followed the instructions in the recipe and by the time it was time to add the pumpkin, it was totally liquid, no chunks or sludge whatsoever. In a previous attempt to brew a pumpkin beer using canned pumpkin, we ended up with a very sludgy mess. We had to throw away about half of the brew because it was so thick, we couldn't rack it to secondary. But this time, it was absolutely liquid after sitting for about an hour and a half. This gives me the confidence to try a pumpkin ale again.

It's cooler in the house now compared to October, temperatures inside are more like 70 degrees, so I'm not doing the whole tub/water/ice thing this time. Fermentation started up overnight the first night and has been going like crazy. It smells very nice, very spicy.

#373 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:25 AM

Wow, I totally forgot about this thread.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#374 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

whoa! me too!

My sister and I were also just at Brewer's Connection and though i've hated that place in the past (they once yelled at me for getting yeast out of their fridge without asking), they were way better this time. I reluctantly went there because it was close to the light rail.

We bought stuff for a simple pale ale since we haven't brewed in a while.

question for shizzy homebrewers - i have a huge orange tree in my backyard, and the oranges are ready to go, every year i always end up losing a good bunch because i just can't use them all. I have decided to start making alcohol with them so i am going to make an orancello (gran marnier) liqueur and was wondering if anyone has a good orange beer recipe that they can recommend?

yay brewing!

#375 John MFer

John MFer

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

they have an orange hefe recipe at brewer's connection:

http://brewersconnec...pes/Mandies.htm

but it doesn't use real oranges!!

Hey, Jacki, post the orange liqueur recipe if you would please. We also have an orange tree and a lemon tree, and both are so totally full or fruit this year and I have no idea what to do with them, especially the lemons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users