Posted Image

#62 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:01 AM

So I checked on my fermenting brew this morning, only to discover that the airlock has already stopped bubbling. This would be only the 4th day of fermentation. I'm a little concerned about that because it wasn't really bubbling yesterday either. The inner section is still buoyant, it's just not releasing any bubbles. I'm hoping there's just something a little off with the airlock.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#63 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:12 AM

Well put, COLON.

muahahahahaha

#64 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

So I checked on my fermenting brew this morning, only to discover that the airlock has already stopped bubbling. This would be only the 4th day of fermentation. I'm a little concerned about that because it wasn't really bubbling yesterday either. The inner section is still buoyant, it's just not releasing any bubbles. I'm hoping there's just something a little off with the airlock.

That actually happened to me a few brews ago. Sometimes the yeast is just super efficient and it goes nuts.

But definitely check the specific gravity, that's the best way to verify alcohol/sugar content.

#65 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Yeah that was also my thinking as well because this is the first time that I used the active liquid yeast. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and see what the score is.

#66 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

Did you reconstitute the liquid yeast in any way? Grow it up in wort at all? Hmm..

#67 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

Did you reconstitute the liquid yeast in any way? Grow it up in wort at all? Hmm..

Nope, I just followed the directions: remove from the fridge 3-6 hours before pitching, shake well, open carefully and pour into wort.

#68 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

You're fine. Let it sit a few more days until the foam settles. If you're concerned check the specific gravity now and 3 days from now. There will be a difference. Think about it. Just because you're not constantly farting doesn't mean your body isn't making turds.

:lol:

#69 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

We always use liquid yeast and I usually transfer to secondary fermentation after three or four days. The foam on the top usually peaks after about 36 hours and is settled by the four day mark, and we don't see much activity on the airlock after that.

#70 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

Dude- I can already see you're going to turn into the mad scientist brewmeister among this group.

#71 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

Dude- I can already see you're going to turn into the mad scientist brewmeister among this group.

Either that or he's going to snap and we'll see him pushing around a jar of his yeast "children" in a stroller.

#72 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

You're fine. Let it sit a few more days until the foam settles. If you're concerned check the specific gravity now and 3 days from now. There will be a difference. Think about it. Just because you're not constantly farting doesn't mean your body isn't making turds.

:lol:

Hahahaha good point.

Thanks for the insight. I should have figured I would see a difference between the liquid and powdered stuff in fermentation.

#73 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Speaking of mad scientist notions, I have plans for a "Green Fluorescent Protein" (GFP) beer :) I worked in a yeast genetics lab and there are hundreds upon hundreds of S. Cerevisiae mutants, including some that shit green..well, shit :) Alternatively, I can go for yeast that have the GFP integrated into their cytoskeleton. The only problem I see with this is that unless the protein is in rather high concentration you'll need to use a UV light to fluoresce the protein...(consumption and systemic introduction of GFP is nonhazardous)

Last night as I was packing I cracked open a newly discovered forgotten bottle of the IPA I brewed last..October?
BEUEARAGH, it was absolutely terrible! I knew something went horribly wrong with my "stout" (which was originally supposed to be a scotch ale), but man, my IPA went the same way. No raisin-bran flavor but just very unpleasant. Nice cabonation though, a perfect head, and a repulsive taste.

I have set aside 3 bottles of Anchorsteam clone and 3 bottles of Newcastle clone for C & S's trip to PHX. I would give more but I don't want to encumber the travellers and I actally have none left! John, Mike, and Woody, let me know what you think!

#74 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:17 PM

Speaking of mad scientist notions, I have plans for a "Green Fluorescent Protein" (GFP) beer smile.gif I worked in a yeast genetics lab and there are hundreds upon hundreds of S. Cerevisiae mutants, including some that shit green..well, shit smile.gif Alternatively, I can go for yeast that have the GFP integrated into their cytoskeleton. The only problem I see with this is that unless the protein is in rather high concentration you'll need to use a UV light to fluoresce the protein...(consumption and systemic introduction of GFP is nonhazardous)

<nerd laugh>

I have set aside 3 bottles of Anchorsteam clone and 3 bottles of Newcastle clone for C & S's trip to PHX. I would give more but I don't want to encumber the travellers and I actally have none left! John, Mike, and Woody, let me know what you think!

Awesome Sherv, thank you!

#75 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

That leaves me no room to bring Dr. Shumway's red ale to sample as well. Perhaps I will swap out a bottle of each.

Are you dropping those off tonight Sherv?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users