405 replies to this topic

#91 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:55 AM

Alright, the citrus concoction was bottled last night. It's really smooth and has an initial taste similar to a Sam's Summer Ale, but about 15 seconds later a slight taste of oranges hits. Once it's carbonated, it should be right around what I was trying to get; a nice smooth summer brew. I don't even think any garnish will be needed.

On a side note, I just read the Cock Ale receipe in Complete Joy. Honestly, I was intrigued, even though I don't eat chicken. It interests me just because I don't see how the chicken could stand sitting in room temperature liquid for the necessary length of time and not rot. Perhaps this would be a marginally better idea with a beer that ferments at a cold temps? Yeah, or not. Maybe I'll brew a t-bone ale next.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#92 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

I've read that recipe, and I don't know how the hell that is drinkable.

#93 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

Homebrew party tomorrow!!

We will work out hte details once we sober uop

#94 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

Yes yes. Today we'll hopefully whip up three batches of homebrew and some BBQ.

I had Wood's hefe last night and I thought it was really good. I thought there was just the right amount of hoppiness to it. A very tasty beer. Good work!

#95 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

awesome - we need a homebrew FESTIVAL.

#96 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Hefeweizen - just finished. Unfortunately half of my airlock went missing, so I had to rig up a hose contraption for the excess gas to travel into the atmosphere through for now. Very interested in how this beer comes out, as the recipe only called for an ounce of flavoring hops.

Cerveza Imperial - brewed yesterday during brew party fun time excellence. The yeast is taking it's sweet time to get working, so this may end up being beer for deadbeats and layabouts.

Colin's Chimay Red - I'll include this too, since I'm babysitting it. Right now it's going bananas in the carboy. Foaming and spilling out everywhere. It may have needed a blow off before the airlock, but beyond that everything looks great with it.

Sherv's clone brew book is dangerous. I wish I wasn't going away so I could make about 10 more brews.

#97 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

So, anyone ever pitch dead yeast into their brew? I got a bum batch of yeast, so I'm going to have to pitch it again. I'm just wondering if I need to do anything to the wort that's been sitting there doing absolutely nothing but hold viking funerals for my single celled buddies.

#98 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

We've never had a bad batch of yeast. Assuming everything was sufficiently sterile you shouldn't have any issues pitching the yeast late, I would think.

I cracked open one of our IPAs on Saturday, and after two weeks in the bottle the carbonation is virtually non-existant. I opened a second and it was the same thing. I even went so far as to shake up the bottle with my finger over the opening... nothing, hardly any bubbles at all when it should have been spraying all over my kitchen at that point. However, the flavor is pretty damn good, it definitely mellowed from the extremly bitter beer it was at bottling.

#99 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

My wife just told me that Colin's Chimay has yeast mania in full effect, to the point that the stopper on the carboy has popped off, spilling foam everywhere. Now I understand why my brew's yeast failed, since it obviously died of jealousy.

I'm going to pick up a length of tubing after work and take care of this mess.

#100 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

My wife just told me that Colin's Chimay has yeast mania in full effect, to the point that the stopper on the carboy has popped off, spilling foam everywhere. Now I understand why my brew's yeast failed, since it obviously died of jealousy.

I'm going to pick up a length of tubing after work and take care of this mess.

:unsure:

This being my first brew, I have no idea how worried I should be. I was certainly looking forward to a huge batch of tasty 7% alcohol beer.

#101 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

That's a good thing. The gas being released by the yeast will not allow any external, wild yeast to enter the carboy. As long as you get a sterile airlock on there before it settles down you'll be fine.

I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon carboy, I know we've never had a 6 gallon on foam over. Anyway, Colin, this is more positive than negative for sure.

#102 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, there's definitely no way anything is going in to that thing, given the rate it's coming out. It should be fine until I get home tonight.

In other brew fest news, my wife just broke my hydrometer. Thankfully I have 3 hours to figure out a proper punishment for this transgression.

#103 mikemfer

mikemfer

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, there's definitely no way anything is going in to that thing, given the rate it's coming out. It should be fine until I get home tonight.

In other brew fest news, my wife just broke my hydrometer. Thankfully I have 3 hours to figure out a proper punishment for this transgression.

We haven't used our hydrometer since 2000.

#104 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

Chimay, a-okay! I got home from work, and quickly scrubbed and re-sanitized the stopper and airlock. It's now happily chugging away without ruining the floor of my closet any further.

My cerveza imperial turned into a fuzz factory however. I got home and noticed it had foam on the top. Unfortunately not the good kind. It also had a pretty rotten smell. Basically the beer was ruined, so I went to the brew store and got new ingredients for another batch of red ale. I dumped out and scrubbed the bucket containing the bateria farm that used to be wort, then mixed up about 5.5 gallons of a really strong lodophor solution and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I mixed up the red ale, and sealed it up (after rinsing the lodophor out, then cleaning and sanitizing it again.) Hopefully the lodophor was strong enough to kill everything and I didn't just piss more ingredients away.

It's time to get some carboys.

#105 Colin

Colin

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:21 AM

Unfortunate about the Cerveza. Any idea what went wrong?

Good to hear about the Chimay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users