405 replies to this topic

#106 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

Well the guy at the homebrew store said that it may have been the heat that day. Not sure if I buy that, since both our batches were kept in the same place. If it was the heat that caused my yeast to die, I would assume that would also cause mold to grow as well. I also may not have sanitized as good as I thought I did somewhere along the line. I used Sherv's one step sanitizer (which I never used before) and I may not have put in enough to effectively kill everything.

My thinking is that I just got a bad batch of yeast.
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#107 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

Doctor - i suggest getting a 6 gallon carboy, and using your smaller one for 2ndary fermentation. that way with the 6, you don't have to worry about blowing off the foam, etc...

STRONG BEER ALERT

#108 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

Well I need carboys in general, since I've been brewing out of buckets. Seeing Colin brew in Sherv's carboy definitely made me see the benefits, though. A couple of 6's would be nice.

#109 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

Alright so last Saturday I tried the citrus wheat and was disappointed. Thankfully it tasted like "complete disaster" because it needed a bit more time to age. I tried a bottle last night (which would be exactly 2 weeks in the bottle) and it was much better.

It's a weird brew however. The citrus flavor kind of overpowers the hoppy finish you would normally get. Basically it replaces the hop flavor with orange. It's a beer that gets better after the first sip I think, simply because having another flavor instead of hops is unexpected. If I were to make this again, I would probably cut out the orange juice and just brew with lemon and orange peel. I think that would make the citrus less potent.

I think wood said it in the lost thread, but good call on the auto siphon. After Sherv brought his over, I went out and got one. That thing makes life so much easier.

#110 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

When we tried doing a Grant's Mandarin Hefe clone, Ken at the brew shop said he tried brewing with orange juice and it was a disaster. He had us try using dehydrated orange peels instead of finishing hops. the citrus flavor on that one turned out weak, even when we used twice the amount the recipe called for. So, I guess there is some sort of happy medium to be found with the cirtus beer thing.

Ken also emailed me back about my non-carbonated IPA. Apparently there is a product for situations like this called Cooper's Carbonation Drops, and all I have to do is pop the tops off the beer, drop these things in, recap and wait another week or two.

#111 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

Man, I've been out of it. I threw together the shit I bought 2 weeks ago, aiming for a Hoegaarden clone, a nice Belgian White brew. Pot overflowed AGAIN, and I really had issues transferring from the brew bot to the carboy and I got hot wort everywhere. It wasn't a good day to brew and it definitely showed. I got ~4 or 4.5 gallons total. I'm gonna prime and rack to bottles today, it hit 1.010 as FG. I skimped out on supplemental ingredients (coriander and seeds of paradise or whatever the fuck they're called) because I just didn't care enough, but I did put in some bitter orange peels.

In other news, I got a 4 gallon brewpot, which is much better than my shitty 2.5 one.

#112 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:28 AM

Colin bottled his Chimay Red last night. He should chime in with his opinon but I would say it was a great success. It's sugary tasting, but not overly so. I think it's definitely going to be quite strong. The only issue is that Sherv's carboy is a mess. When I took it out of the closet to start the process, the towel it was sitting on was so stuck that it left patches on the bottom. I left it soaking in water and detergent overnight and when I get home tonight I'm hoping the caked on crap will be more managable.

Speaking of your carboy, let me know if want to get it before I return from Minnesota. My brother is staying at my place and he'd be fine with you swinging by whenever.

When I get back hopefully we'll have another brew day. After last night, I'm running low on summer brew.

#113 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

Colin bottled his Chimay Red last night.  He should chime in with his opinon but I would say it was a great success.  It's sugary tasting, but not overly so.  I think it's definitely going to be quite strong.  The only issue is that Sherv's carboy is a mess.  When I took it out of the closet to start the process, the towel it was sitting on was so stuck that it left patches on the bottom.  I left it soaking in water and detergent overnight and when I get home tonight I'm hoping the caked on crap will be more managable. 

Speaking of your carboy, let me know if want to get it before I return from Minnesota.  My brother is staying at my place and he'd be fine with you swinging by whenever.

When I get back hopefully we'll have another brew day.  After last night, I'm running low on summer brew.

No rush on the carboy, they're meant to get dirty and nasty :) I spent a good part of tues night cleaning my remaining carboys and other supplies. I can't get the beer smell out of the blow-off tubes which is annoying but surely not a big deal.

I'm glad the Chimay is promising. We'll definitely brew again, I have another set of bottles which need filling. I'd like to try the same brew I just did again, only this time do it correctly. I'd like to do a couple of half or quarter recipes...primarily to see if they CAN be done (I don't see why they can't...) but also to be able to brew more stuff and to have the chance to brew slightly different variations and see whether certain changes make much of a difference or not...

#114 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

I'm hoping to make it to the brew shop this weekend to get some of the carbonation drops. I cracked open another IPA last night just to double check the carbonation and after almost a month in the bottles it's got barely more carbonation than sparkling water. The flavor is still amazing.

Colin, do you think your chimay clone will be drinkable in a week and a half? Probably not, I'm sure. Does a Chimay clone take longer to condition, according to your recipe?

#115 Shervz0r

Shervz0r

Shizz Z0r

• Members
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

Oh, I'm sure it'll be drinkable John! Maybe a bit sharp and not enough carbonation, but we can certainly quaff it, Belgian-style! I went into work at 4:30 this morning so I could come back to Cambridge and appeal a parking ticket...I won my appeal so I'm home now and just popped the cap on a 2 day-old Hoegaarden clone. The carbonation is actually existant but weak, but the taste is awesome. Not quite a just-mowed-the-lawn-and-need-a-beer since the hoppiness is too strong, but I think with a few weeks it'll be a nice summer brew.

I checked in with my local brewmaster (Aaron) about reducing brew sizes, and he says

Yup [you can scale recipes down]. Interestingly enough, when you scale up, there tends to be
better hop utilization -- more bitterness is extracted from the hops. I suspect
that this is because there is a smaller area of liquid exposed to air in
proportion to the amount of liquid that's being boiled, and the steam helps
carry away some of the volatile flavor and aroma compounds.
On the smaller scale, the only thing to be aware of is that you'll end up
evaporating a larger proportion of water during the boil, but that's not a
concern with extract recipes since you're adding enough water to make 5 gallons
at the end of the boil anyhow.
-Aaron

#116 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Right on. If I can get these carbonation drops this weekend I'll bring some IPA with me for you guys if I have room.

#117 woodman

woodman

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:14 AM

john, let me know how those work out - i saw them the last time i was in and it looked interesting - an expensive option, but it makes sure you get the right amount of fizzle for your shizzle.

I'm thinking about getting one of those little pig keg things - that hold 2.5 gallons at once. you don't have to take any extra steps to carbonate the beer; it's done with a pouch in the container.

i'd get two!

#118 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

I think kegs will be in the future once I move and hopefully get a new fridge. Bottles are fine and all, but some kegs and a bar set up would be nice. Real nice.

Oh by the way: Colin's hooked on this shit.

#119 Guest_johnMFer_*

Guest_johnMFer_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

Where's Colin been, anyway? Haven't seen him.

Wood, it's an expensive option for sure, but considering the batch was paid for with a birthday gift certificate, and the fact that it's already in bottles and tasty, might as well spring for it.

#120 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 19,133 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

Colin, do you think your chimay clone will be drinkable in a week and a half? Probably not, I'm sure. Does a Chimay clone take longer to condition, according to your recipe?

it doesn't matter if it'll be drinkable in a week in a half or not.

i'm still going to steal a few bottles so we can homebrew-chimay it up in nyc.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users