EVERYONE LISTEN UP!!!

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

Hello everyone-
I was reading a post about Six String Sermon and what I saw was a disgusting display by several Shizz members. No names need to be said here, however, there is a point we can learn from here! This is supposed to be entirely and 100% about the music. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. What I have noticed, by some and not all, is an elitist-clique forming. One where unless you are "cool" by Shizz standards, you get attacked. Who do these people think they are? I am not directing this at any individuals, but as a whole to the Phoenix Music Community. Learn to unite, learn to mesh with one another, not create cliques where others feel alienated because they are not included in what is happening. You want a scene, MAKE ONE!! We, as musicians, are no better than anyone else in this city, in this world for that matter. Somehow, it has become very apparent to me that many of us in the arts commuinty feel as though the world owes us because we express ourselves through art. That is wrong, and that is the type of thinking that does lead to progress. It leads to donward spirals, it leads to us bickering and that hurts our community. We can be so strong, and so much better if we are entirely supportive and use these platforms to help better our commuinity. But we don't, instead many people choose to complain about politics and how "stupid" the rest of society is. If you think they are stupid people, show them, teach them, inform them!! DO NOT ALIENATE THEM!!! The universe and its inhabitants owe no one...stop the elitist thinking and start being more inclusive if you wish to really build a scene!! Cuz from what I have noticed, its always the same people at the shows...its time to expand. We have the talent, we have the capability, are you willing to work...are you willing to take some ACTION!! Now is the time to truly make our Arts Revolution known to the rest of the world, to our immediate, local community. To truly understand what I am saying, I challenge any person who reads this to attend the Community Arts Hurricane Benefit this Friday @ First Studio during First Friday. It is guaranteed to change your views, and perhaps it will humble some of your elitist-I think the world owes me because I learned to play guitar-egos and attitudes.

peace and unity-

Henri/rocketline :ph34r:

#2 Guest_elsonador_*

Guest_elsonador_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

bless you henry, i'm with you...
but a plug for the show you're trying to promote...??
:unsure:

#3 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

thank you for your kind words...however this is not a plug for the show I am trying to promote. It is in fact commuinty awareness and information! I am not trying to get anyone to do anything they do not want to do, however, this event sums up exactly the unity and ideas I am talking about. That's all. If I wanted to promote the show, I would have given the time, cost, line-up etc. It is a challenge to see these words in action, NOT JUST MORE TALK! But I appreciate not only the feedback, but also the plug comment b/c it may have seemed like this is done in entirely personal interest, discrediting all that I had previously said. Let it be known that I speak from my heart and my soul, and I feel as though the only this society is going to improve upon its ways are to make these necessary, unifying changes.

henri/rocketline :ph34r:

#4 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:43 PM

I'm not sure exactly what this is about, I didn't make any comments about Six String Sermon but I think we should be totally allowed to critique bad music on here or anywhere. Granted, this is a messageboard, and I think a good rule of thumb is to not say anything that you wouldn't say to someone in real life. In other words, keep the talking shit to you and your buddies sitting in the bar or whatever. I think I understand where you're coming from but I don't really want to unify with a lot of people that make music, even punk music, or alternative, or rock music. And I don't really care if they're aware of my music or viewpoints. I don't think that makes me elitist, I think that it just makes me critical. And I do think you were plugging your show, and I do think that kind of totally wrecks your credibility. But it'll get people talking about it, and probably a bunch of haters to not be able to keep their mouths shut. Which is possibly the best thing you could do. Ask Eminem. Maybe you're a genius.

#5 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:50 PM

okay i just read through that whole rad thread. and i was worried that i had spoken before knowing anything, which is true. but i really don't have anything to add or delete. i did laugh out loud twice though.

#6 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:50 PM

i go watch bands i like. and truthfully i think i've supported the 'scene' enough & probably paid enough cover charges to make a couple of house downpayments.

that's about it. i feel like i'm too old to play the 'i'll go see your band if you come see mine' game.

however i think you're on to a good thing; scene unity is a tuly kewl idea and when it works it's beautiful. one thing i noticed when i went to club congress' 20th anniversary was how almost all the musicians (20 years on) knew each other and were happy to hang together....a really neat community vibe. it feels like phx is a little different, probably because it's so huge and people leave as fast as they blow into town. :shrug:

#7 Guest_elsonador_*

Guest_elsonador_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:51 PM

okay i just read through that whole rad thread. and i was worried that i had spoken before knowing anything, which is true. but i really don't have anything to add or delete. i did laugh out loud twice though.

:lol:

#8 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

Bob-
I think we should be allowed to critique music...I believe you are missing the point. Your response to being critical is exactly the kind of negative energy I am talking about. You don't have to like every kind of music, but my point is that people with that attitude create gaps in our society, and it is definitely one reason that this nation is going down the drain. All I am asking us to is unify and help the scene thrive, as a dedicated musician and advocate, it should not even be a question. We need to help each other, look to a generation of unity and generosity, not a narrow-minded future. We need everyone to look to a greater good for our society. We need to be more involved in our culture. We need to mesh...and being critical in my opinion is the same as being fearful and afraid to branch out to others. We all have alot in common, we just fail to communicate that!

#9 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

whew....I totally thought that initial posting was kinda referring to me...
but since I don't play guitar, I'm in the clear...

I don't think scenes are built, I think they grow...

Good scenes are made up of good bands.......good is subjective, when I say 'good', I mean I like them.,...I try to go see bands that I like....sometimes I just go see bands that are okay, & my friend plays bass in them....sometimes I go see bands that I think are aweful, because the girl that I'm going with is friends with the bass players girlfriend........I'm guessing I'm not the only one out there in this spot...
It's like that everywhere.....

I play in a Txn band, too.....man do they talk some shit down there.....

As this board is not called 'the Shizz presents: Alt-Country', or whatever...there is no unified scene here....there are MANY different little scenes here....

and THAT IS OKAY, right?

negative energy makes some gooooooooooooood music.

Who is in this elitist clique?

by the way, for all the craziness that APPEARS to happen, we know it's just silly business....

I'm meeting Aaron Burke for raquet ball in an hour...
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#10 Guest_elsonador_*

Guest_elsonador_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

I'm meeting Aaron Burke for raquet ball in an hour...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'nuff said.

#11 Guest_elsonador_*

Guest_elsonador_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

honestly henry...
i've done a bit here and there (loud americans, scramjet!, etc...) in the early part of this millenium/end of that last bastard...
to honestly say, after dropping off the map for a few years (literally) and returning to the "scene," i think phoenix continues to improve...
it's a slow road, but we are making progress.
furthermore, as a native, born and raised,
i feel us folks have a much more realistic viewpoint than the transplants who stick around 'till they find an apartment cheap enough in L.A....
(there i go, being elitist!) ;)

#12 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

I agree with Hooray for Everything. Good scenes are made up of good People. We tolerate and unify with the bad people only because their five dollar bill is as good as everyone elses. And a good scene aint worth a damn thing if it's just goin to shows. Who cares? Who cares how many good vibes there are? Or whatever. A good band is hopefully going to inspire you to break out of your scene and take it to the big bad world out there, outside of your stupid scene where everyone looks, acts, drinks and dresses the same. I like the shizz, because i know only so many people on it, but everyone has a different viewpoint and it's not a hundred white kids talking about the next hardcore show. it's not homogonized and unified. it's diverse and shizzified. (can i get a medal or what?) it's just people that like music in all its positive and negative glory and other wierd things. i don't think any one is really disagreeing with you, but like in my other post, all i'm saying is that you come off as a bit trite when you talk about unity and positive energy and how everyone should get along just to namedrop the show you or whoever is doing.

it's nice that there's this shizz board, where i, someone from flagstaff can promote flag shows, and i can be informed of phoenix (and conneticut) shows, and it's nice that we all have that interconnectedness. it's really super awesome. but it's not a real community. that requires work. posting on a messageboard is the opposite. it's what to do when bored at work. them's is negative vibes. if it was all positive vibes and no drama, what's the point?

#13 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

and i can be informed of phoenix (and conneticut) shows

so, so true. :)

#14 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

Mr. Bob-

Since you insist on discrediting me for namedropping the show, I will like to take this opportunity to help realize your lack of understanding. I feel as though you are accusing me of cheap promotion and lack of authenticity. First off, this is a hurricane benefit, one that I gain nothing from, nothing execpt life-long experiences, FREE of charge to anyone and everyone. It is communnity-minded, community-oriented, bring your kids type of stuff. Its time away from the bars. There are donation tables on hand. Its for our COMMUNITY to help them realize what a great culture we do have here in Phoenix, a culture that just needs some LEADERS to step it up and make it happen. This is not about unifying good and bad bands for the five dollar bill...some of us choose to play the music for free, where the word bills are not crossing our minds. Its a one of a kind lifestyle and this is what we live and breath. Some of us choose to spread the good word, not hate against it. A scene is imperative because there are several amazing bands and original artists in Phoenix who do not get the recognition because we are not unified enough to cause a stir. If the bands, the good ones for that matter, get together, it can be done. We lack a concept as a city, that's a problem. You, being from Flagstaff, perhaps do not see Phoenix in its daily light as I do. I cannot, nor will I, make any other assumptions other than you're current living situation. I agree that a good band should be inspired to leave town, of course, but how will they ever get thier chances without a strong local following, a strong local scene. I promise you that within the next year, you will have seen all that I am talking about. Unity and diversity in our city here. Its all about community concepts, and I feel as though it is there, there are just certain people, such as yourself, who wish to criticize. However with your criticism, you fail to realize that you are not taking any ACTION toward a change. You are just waiting for it and you have now become the gun-slinger... :ph34r:

#15 jomama

jomama

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

I think hbiz needs to realize where "Mr. Bob" is coming from.

Ponies (which bob was the singer in) from Flagstaff have toured, and not only had a great following in flag but brought there following out here to some amazing shows in phoenix.
I think he knows a thing or two about how to make a scene work.

Check out the scene in flagstaff and go to http://www.robothouse.org to see what they are doing about there scene. I would sadly say they are a few years ahead of us in that regard.

people name drop all the time and get called on it, I wouldn't get too defensive. Getting defensive on the shizz or any other messageboard makes you more of a target of getting harrassed.

Just an FYI
:ph34r:
Isaiah 16:11 (Farting is cool)
Ezekiel 4:12 (God wants you to eat poop)
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (Kill your son if he is disrespectful and a drunk)

Ah, the wonderful Peru

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users