53 replies to this topic

#16 bisbee slim

bisbee slim

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

Standard Bar Liquor License = $94,000. Completely out of the fucking question.
Series 12 Restaurant w/ Liquor License = $2700.
So now I'm a restaurant.

$94,000 for a liquor license??!??!? holy shit! :blink:

stupid puritans.

puritans are sluts.

this place sounds rad. good luck.

HFE, i agree with beefstew, start a jazz band. ive been listen to the "classic jazz" station on the satellite radio at work and wondering where the fuck in AZ is there JAZZ? although i dont get out much.

#17 bisbee slim

bisbee slim

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

Too bad there's no such thing as a BYOB license.

i think there is a license that permits places to let people bring in their own alcohol. thai basil in tempe lets you bring your own beer or wine in and theyre right next to tops liquor in tempe. coconut curry and chimay!!!

#18 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

i heard they got busted & don't do that anymore

you can get a temporary permit for a party or something i think...

#19 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

where the fuck in AZ is there JAZZ? although i dont get out much.

jazz is all around you. reach out and take some..
congrats on yer new endeavor.

#20 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

give me a minute, fer Chrissakes...It looks I shall be working with Marianne Dissard a bit if time & distance allow us, & we're putting together a new Broken Hearted Lovers....
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#21 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

As far as skirting liquor license laws, for smaller events and low key public gatherings, I've seen the Free Beer (with Suggested Minimum Donation) tactic use.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#22 Nil_Failstorm

Nil_Failstorm

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

I've "got a friend who knows a guy" that does audio setups. He said I should be able to get a good starting sound system with a board and some monitor speakers for about $5000. I'll have to see where I'm at once most of the construction is done, but this size system will be more than enough for the room size. I might have to start out a bit smaller on the system and work my way up, but we'll at least have the capability to mic all the instruments.

Of course, we will be serving Sparks. There's a few more alcoholic energy drinks that have started popping up, I'll probably have a few of those, too, and see how well they do.

The menu's pretty basic. They have self-contained autofryers now, so I don't need all the kitchen venting setups, etc. So we'll have anything that you can fry up like cheese sticks, fries, etc. But I want it mainly to make fried twinkies!!! Plus other coffee-specific type of fair.

that's fucking rad. congratulations and good luck.

when's the grand opening?

We'll probably do a few "dry shows" to kick out any bugs in the sound system. Then have something official when we finalize the liquor license.
Posted Image

#23 Nil_Failstorm

Nil_Failstorm

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

that's great news nil. good luck! that sounds like it's near the old after the gold rush/electric ballroom. or is it the old atg/eb??

Down the street and around the corner. The old Electric Ballroom got turned into some kind of education center. Unless I was mistaken, that was the building their were demolishing when I was driving down Apache last week. Sad. :(
Posted Image

#24 Guest_tabletopjoe_*

Guest_tabletopjoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

give me a minute, fer Chrissakes...It looks I shall be working with Marianne Dissard a bit if time & distance allow us, & we're putting together a new Broken Hearted Lovers....

One jazz ensemble does not a jazz bar make . . . Not that one shouldn't start a jazz band, but it's all about vibe, no? When did Timothy's go under? The Melody Lounge wasn't downtown, but it had a vibe--at least it seemed to the couple times I went in underage and didn't get kicked out.

#25 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

One jazz ensemble does not a jazz bar make . . . Not that one shouldn't start a jazz band, but it's all about vibe, no? When did Timothy's go under? The Melody Lounge wasn't downtown, but it had a vibe--at least it seemed to the couple times I went in underage and didn't get kicked out.

Shit, I can't play REAL jazz anyways, I play fake jazz, country/jazz/pop...

Doesn't Carly's do something? I guess It's too small.....

Let's be serious, if you are to judge this scene by the bands it aligns itself with & the 'what are you listening to' threads, it's really not an interest that people have...I used to post jazz/blues/roots shows here all the time, I NEVER saw anyone I knew from this clique/cirlcle/scene at any of those shows....zero..ever......okay, Jeremy & Shannon...Shannon worked at the RR & Jermy is/was a roots head....now, I'm not making a judgement call, I'm just saying, I don't think people really are into it...it's a rock scene, basically.....now, we also must realize that there have gotta be a whole lotta people downtown who have no knowledge, or interest, in the music covered on this site..the rock-a-billy kids, the sonorous crowd, folks that listen to NPR on Sunday night...etc...the thing is, it's not enough to have good, interesting music...it must be presented in a 'cool' place, with booze, & have the movers & shakers acknowledge it...it's a weird scene.... I DJ'd the other night at the George & Dragon & people got up & danced to Jimmy Smith!!!!! This town is still very strange to me.....Portland & Denver both had great jazz clubs downtown. Go figure.
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#26 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

Shit, I can't play REAL jazz anyways, I play fake jazz, country/jazz/pop...

Doesn't Carly's do something? I guess It's too small.....

Let's be serious, if you are to judge this scene by the bands it aligns itself with & the 'what are you listening to' threads, it's really not an interest that people have...I used to post jazz/blues/roots shows here all the time, I NEVER saw anyone I knew from this clique/cirlcle/scene at any of those shows....zero..ever......okay, Jeremy & Shannon...Shannon worked at the RR & Jermy is/was a roots head....now, I'm not making a judgement call, I'm just saying, I don't think people really are into it...it's a rock scene, basically.....now, we also must realize that there have gotta be a whole lotta people downtown who have no knowledge, or interest, in the music covered on this site..the rock-a-billy kids, the sonorous crowd, folks that listen to NPR on Sunday night...etc...the thing is, it's not enough to have good, interesting music...it must be presented in a 'cool' place, with booze, & have the movers & shakers acknowledge it...it's a weird scene.... I DJ'd the other night at the George & Dragon & people got up & danced to Jimmy Smith!!!!! This town is still very strange to me.....Portland & Denver both had great jazz clubs downtown. Go figure.

yawn......

#27 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

I, for one, hate jazz. there - I said it.

#28 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

i saw real jazz in bisbee, it kicked ass. the drummer though was a biker (beard, leather, tattoos) ... go figure ... if you closed your eyes you thought he was max roach.

jazz is tough in any city; seems like its biggest scenes are in the towns renowned for it.

#29 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

true.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#30 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

jazz is tough in any city; seems like its biggest scenes are in the towns renowned for it.

if any of you's are lucky enough to venture to chi town...
this is the place to see JAZZ.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users