146 replies to this topic

#121 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

I do like both OS and TNG, but I really love the original characters.
What got me hooked were those novels, one a month pubished for-like-over a decade.

If you really want to read some great epic adventures, get the ones by Judith & Garfield-Reeves Stevens.
They are awesome in scope (I haven't read the ones they ghost-wrote for Shatner, so I won't stand by those).
They really know how to take nugets from the show, and make them well rounded and "improtant" feeling.

If you want to read some good plup adventures, look for the author LA GRAF (Lets All Get Rich And Famous).
Its actually a pair (sometimes trio) of women.
They write Sulu+Checkov w/ a lot of subtle/fun gay subtext.

None of the stuff is particulrarly deep, but it skims a nice edge of being fun, character driven and sometimes wonderfully clever.

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#122 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

I read one book "the lost years" which takes place between the end of the series and ST:TMP.

#123 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

I read one book "the lost years" which takes place between the end of the series and ST:TMP.

That was an okay one, its part of trilogy actually.

I recommend Federation which is a sort-of OS & TNG crossover, lots of decent pathos.
Also Prime Directive, Memory Prime are fun.
http://www.reeves-st...hopfiction.html

And by GRAF:
Star Trek DS9: Invasion!: Time's Enemy (I'm not a DS9 fan, bt this one has a plot point so disturbing I couldn't shake it).
Star Trek TOS: Death Count

Another Fav:
Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows (just a great story of a man putting his life back together, under a cloud of dread)by David R. George's

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#124 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

if you have any of these, i will read them. :lol:

#125 differently biotic

differently biotic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

Posted Image

#126 TPStank

TPStank

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Holy crap, I couln't even BEGIN to start in on my personal opinion in on this at this point. All I'll say is Jedi fo life!
Hey you, post your shows on AZPunk.com

Posted Image

#127 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

This just became my new mantra

#128 japmonchris

japmonchris

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

For those interested, the Arizona Science Center has been a Star Trek Exhibit for the past few months and this final weekend. They have props and set replicas and costumes. Some are the real deal and some are replicas, but still looks pretty interesting. Apparently you can get a picture of you in the captains chair but its an obscene amount of money since they dont allow cameras.

heres the link:
http://www.azscience.org/star_trek.php

#129 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

I know they have "Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows" at the Library, that's where I got it from.

. . . I'll have to dig around for the others, I have the LA Graf ones, but they are autographed, so I can't bring myself to loan them out. (I can't believe I just wrote that)

JRC

#130 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

I know they have "Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows" at the Library, that's where I got it from.

. . . I'll have to dig around for the others, I have the LA Graf ones, but they are autographed, so I can't bring myself to loan them out. (I can't believe I just wrote that)

JRC

Understood. I lent out my signed copy of Idoru by William Gibson and will never see it again. sigh

#131 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

JRC

Understood. I lent out my signed copy of Idoru by William Gibson and will never see it again. sigh

William Gibson = Sci Fi genius
LA Graf = obsessive-dork cultism

#132 Quinn Fox

Quinn Fox

Shizz n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:11 AM

Check out the Star Trek : TNG novels, noteably 'Vendetta," by Peter David.  (The fella used to write comics for Marvel, mainly X-Factor.)

Good stuff.  Nothing better than a fellow Federation starship asking the Enterprise for a status/withdraw when Riker responds, "Tell them we're washing our hair!!"

Plus, a Ferengi Borg?  Guinan's sister?  The return of the Doomsday Machine?  

Classic, should have been a movie.

#133 JJames

JJames

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

if it was a throwdown between st and sw im going to have to give it to Star Wars. empire strikes back made me super excited and giddy when i was a child/now.

ST is awesome too, but every episode had nearly the same plot. I like the episode where spok gets his brain stolen by underground amazon women that control some kind of super computer

I like flash gordon too

#134 Rocquero

Rocquero

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

i have to give it to star trek. i never got into the original series, but i loved next generation. i even liked voyager, but deep space 9 is the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. THEY AREN'T EVEN ON A SHIP. NOBODY WANTS TO WATCH THAT.

#135 zyko

zyko

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

STAR WARS.
Sad Man on a Rock - coming 20idunno!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users