Srsly, what's the best cup of coffee in PHX?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

McDonald's!

jk

#17 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

I buy my beans from Randy and generally watch him as he roasts my beans for me. I use a brikka to make my morning coffee at home and have an espresso machine and burr grinder at work which also uses Xanadu coffee, occasionally I use a french press or moka pot to be different.

I really like Coffee Cartel, I have only been to the shop in Tempe but I heard they just opened a downtown phoenix shop this week. They do a much lighter roast which is kind of a new trend these days which goes against the much darker roasts of most other coffee shops in town, and you can definitely tell the difference. I am no expert, but I prefer african coffee such as Kenyan AA, and Ethiopian Harrarr over South American beans from columbia or chiapas mexico.

Lola's is good too, I have had their coffee a few times, and was definitely pleased.

http://xanaducoffee.net If you make coffee at home, I highly recommend checking Randy's coffee out.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#18 TPStank

TPStank

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

Xtreme Bean Coffee on McClintock & Southern is pretty good too.
Hey you, post your shows on AZPunk.com

Posted Image

#19 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, Donalds got the right idea :-)

light roast gives more of a bean flavor. A good idea if you've got good beans.

Dark roast gives a nice char flavor... A good idea if you're masking inconsistent beans. (starbucks managed to persuade us all that good coffee = dark)

Really, whatever you like is fine - but light roasts can open a huge world of different single-source flavors.

I'm not 1/2 the coffee snob I sound like... But I do appreciate a good cup.

#20 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

i don't always drink coffee but when i do i drink cartel ice toddies

i drink tea always

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#21 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm not a coffee drinker, but Conspire (over by Modified and Lost Leaf) makes a very decent cup of tea. The vegan donuts are tasty too. Some of my buddies are fans of the coffee over there.

#22 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

I'm not a coffee drinker, but Conspire (over by Modified and Lost Leaf) makes a very decent cup of tea. The vegan donuts are tasty too. Some of my buddies are fans of the coffee over there.

that's a cool spot for shores

#23 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

Also a decent place to hang out outside on a nice day/summer night. I've had a lot of nice times there.

#24 TPStank

TPStank

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

How come Mikey hasn't chimed in on this thread?
Hey you, post your shows on AZPunk.com

Posted Image

#25 Dez

Dez

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

not the best coffee, but the best coffee in a bike shop that also serves kick ass feta cheese sandwiches

Trailhead Bike Cafe
www.trailheadbikecafe.com
6825 North 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85016
(602) 264-2328

I always thought this place was just a bike shop. No idea it was a cafe despite the name. Not to quick on the uptake, I know haha

#26 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it, I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It ain't the coffee in my kitchen...
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#27 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it, I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It ain't the coffee in my kitchen...

Lay off the afterburners Maverick! Take it easy. Iceman is taller but you are better at beach volleyball.

Your buddy,

Goose

#28 rddenton

rddenton

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Shizzified
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

yay for all the plugs ;)

I roast coffee now for a living, but I don;t think that makes me any more or less qualified since it's all based on tastes and interests. That being said I really like Royal Coffee at the farmers market. It's very good and very un-pretentious. I'm not a very big fan of either of his 2 other baristi though. Cartel might have better coffee but sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get an espresso...
coffee: Xanadu Coffee Co.
music: Malakai

#29 Guest_viewfinder_*

Guest_viewfinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

I had gotten two bags of Xanadu coffee for Xmas and it was really good stuff. I'm definitely going to have to pick up more. Also, thanks for the insightful commentary on dark vs. light beans and how they affect the flavor, Donald. Good stuff.

The quest never ends.

#30 jeremy_arp

jeremy_arp

Shizz Senior Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone find Dutch Brothers to be kind of creepy and almost cult-like?
I find the shameless upsell makes me uneasy, as does the attempt to secure your email address/cell # to send "texts" for "specials."
Maybe I just don't like or trust younger people anymore...

A friend of mine wanted to start a coffee cart called the Koffee Kossack (i.e. coffee would be served from atop a horse with an espresso machine from a bearded Kossack). I still want to see this happen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users