341 replies to this topic

#61 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

do the majority of illegal immigrant's not want to become legal?, or is the process of becoming legal way too hard?

I think the process is very hard if you came here without any paperwork to begin with.

I mean, when you apply for a job as a citizen and had any kind of lapse of time between your last jobs, your new potential employer wants to know about it.

How do you account for years of your life spent in a country that doesn't know you exist on paper.

If you go in to do paperwork, you will be arrested for being in the country illegally.

Catch 22, even if you want to become a citizen, you are caught in the beauracracy of it.

#62 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

how do illegal russians get in? burrow thru the center of the earth?

oh, let there visa expire and just stay here. Oh, boring.
I know of 6 people (that I am aware of) that are illegal immigrants. 2 are mexican. 2 canadian. 2 eastern euro.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#63 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

I know of 6 people (that I am aware of) that are illegal immigrants. 2 are mexican. 2 canadian. 2 eastern euro.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I get sued if I don't sue you for not suing your city for not gathering them up.

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#64 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I think the process is very hard if you came here without any paperwork to begin with.

I mean, when you apply for a job as a citizen and had any kind of lapse of time between your last jobs, your new potential employer wants to know about it.

How do you account for years of your life spent in a country that doesn't know you exist on paper.

If you go in to do paperwork, you will be arrested for being in the country illegally.

Catch 22, even if you want to become a citizen, you are caught in the beauracracy of it.

so we need to have a more proficient method of becoming an american citizen so that people will go through the process and actually be able to afford it so folks are not tempted into walking accross the desert and then live here in fear of being deported.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#65 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

so we need to have a more proficient method of becoming an american citizen so that people will go through the process and actually be able to afford it so folks are not tempted into walking accross the desert and then live here in fear of being deported.

This would work if somehow the people who are xenophobic and have a skewed view of America being "only theirs" could be exorcized of this fear.

It is fear of a people, of a socially accepted hatred, and an idea of the ownership of land and a belief that only certain people are allowed to share in their version of utopia.

Absurd. All peoples not native to this country are immigrant descendants. This shit pisses me off. The blatant hipocrisy.

Oh yeah, let's not forget about guns.

GUNS

#66 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Oh yeah, let's not forget about guns in bars!

GUNS IN BARS!

fixed

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#67 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

personally, to me, this bill not only encourages racial profiling, which is illegal, but it sets up the state to penalize non-US citizens without giving them an option to avoid penalization (other than leaving the country or avoiding arrest). The truth is a very small percentage of people who are here illegally are engaged in criminal activity (one of the rallying cries for passage of this bill), most are here because the US is the land of opportunity and they cannot get work in their own countries or they are here working and sending that money back to support their families.

Personally i would have structured an immigration reform bill this way:
set up a department that makes an easy to obtain a work visa for all non-US citizens. You have to pay $30 or something for the visa, fill out a bunch of paperwork and have to register with this department when you get a job/or note on the visa where your job is if you already have one. Then the state taxes the money you make in addition the money they make off the initial cost of the visa and renewal fees.

make it so you have to reapply every year or set some time limit. Make it penalty-free for people who have been working in this country illegally for some time now, who can then voluntarily sign up for the visa without fear of prosecution/deportation.

then use the money to secure the border for those that still want to cross illegally.

Access to work visas will reduce the need for people who are not criminals or engaged in criminal activity to cross illegally, to rely on coyotes, and to hide in the US.

it will also provide us with a large, steady stream of tax revenue that we do need (perhaps enough that we can avoid raising taxes). It will also create a database of who is here, so we can keep better data on the number of non-citizens working in the US.

if you get caught without your easily obtained work visa, then you pay a steep fine and perhaps after 3 violations, you get deported or something. The state level is a good stage for experimentation. Sadly this law is only going to cause more problems before it initiates any solutions.

FYI - the US work visa system is currently the most complex visa system in the world. most applicants need legal assistance from an immigration lawyer to help with filing.
The major working visas are H-1B Visa and L-1 Visa. One can also work with an L-2, F-1, M-1, J-1, J-2, I, A or G type visa and there are many more visa classifications for US immigration.

more info on our visa system

according to the DHS only 700,000 immigrants were naturalized to US citizens in 2009.
In summary, DHS estimates that the unauthorized immigrant population living in the United States decreased to 10.8 million in January 2009 from 11.6 million in January 2008. Between 2000 and 2009, the unauthorized population grew by 27 percent. Of all unauthorized immigrants living in the United States in 2009, 63 percent entered before 2000, and 62 percent were from Mexico.
source

#68 differently biotic

differently biotic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

"San Francisco city officials are calling for a boycott of Arizona and businesses based there to protest the state's strict new immigration law."

sigh

#69 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

"San Francisco city officials are calling for a boycott of Arizona and businesses based there to protest the state's strict new immigration law."

sigh

weren't people already boycotting us because we allow guns in bars?

i'd boycott AZ if i didn't already live here.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#70 differently biotic

differently biotic

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

the refried beans story too. crazy what's going on.

#71 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Can a bunch of us get together and write a pro human song based on all this? Like all "We are the world" style?

Post it up, and all downloads $ would go towards one of these groups that oppose the law.

Let's get it out there that we don't want this, and for others outside AZ to hear us and support US and not the beauracracy.

#72 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Proceeds can go to no more deaths, the people that put the water out in the desert, and instead of a song Mikey re creates the Unicorn Guy.

But yeah. I would boycot also.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#73 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

no time wasted
that situation is my worst nightmare.
i'm seriously starting to get a little freaked out by this
i mean i look like your standard american caucasian male but
what if i get pulled over or land on some over zealous pig
and the documents i carry aren't enough to keep me out of jail?
i know i really shouldn't worry about this shit but fuck
the state is making it real tough for me not to worry about getting
fucked over for being a non citizen

#74 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

no time wasted
that situation is my worst nightmare.
i'm seriously starting to get a little freaked out by this
i mean i look like your standard american caucasian male but
what if i get pulled over or land on some over zealous pig
and the documents i carry aren't enough to keep me out of jail?
i know i really shouldn't worry about this shit but fuck
the state is making it real tough for me not to worry about getting
fucked over for being a non citizen

fuck :(

I wish there was something we could do
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#75 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,980 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ouch. This is the sort of thing that could get Tender Lad arrested if some idiot police officer doesn't know about some old U.S-Ojibwe treaty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users