47 replies to this topic

#31 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs have written many memoirs start from a fairly young age. And all that had was a fucked up upbringing and being gay. But they sure can make it all seem funny and interesting

the difference is sedaris and burroghs are great writers, not musicians trying to write.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#32 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

when do you think hot rod todd will put out his memoirs

He can't stay out of his dope coma long enough to write one.
David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs have written many memoirs start from a fairly young age. And all that had was a fucked up upbringing and being gay. But they sure can make it all seem funny and interesting.

I agree that writing a memoir at any age seems awfully narcissistic.. But I believe muscians/ entertainers all have to be slightly narcissistic or else they wouldn't be preforming in front of people.
If John Waters suggest I should write a memoir I'd probably at least consider writing one.

dont forget to go pick up my daughter you asshole. and try not to make her cry this time.

#33 innerear

innerear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

when do you think hot rod todd will put out his memoirs

He can't stay out of his dope coma long enough to write one.
David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs have written many memoirs start from a fairly young age. And all that had was a fucked up upbringing and being gay. But they sure can make it all seem funny and interesting.

I agree that writing a memoir at any age seems awfully narcissistic.. But I believe muscians/ entertainers all have to be slightly narcissistic or else they wouldn't be preforming in front of people.
If John Waters suggest I should write a memoir I'd probably at least consider writing one.

dont forget to go pick up my daughter you asshole. and try not to make her cry this time.

as I said narcissistic

#34 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

i am interested in reading JP's book because i (as, i assume many of us did) came from the same scene/environment he did and a lot of us are all doing similar things.

so he scored himself a book deal and wrote a book about his life. that's what writing is. just because it's framed as a memoir, doesn't make it any less work than writing any other work. give the dude some props. if you think it's easy, give it a shot, and see if you can sell it. or, if you're too cool, put it out yourself. i'll read it.

jp could've framed his book like brian peterson, (burning fight: the 90s hardcore revolution) but he chose to do it more first person style. so what? i've seen some of jp's writing, and he can write. whether it's a good book or not, i have no idea. but unless you've read it, who cares about your opinion?

sarah palin is interesting and polarizing. assface donald rumsfeld is interesting and polarizing. jp (and his music) is interesting and polarizing. with all the schlock bullshit that's out there, why would you criticize him for writing something that is a historical document of a scene that deserves documenting because he's the documenter?

i smell a little jealousy on the board today.

#35 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

I like struggle.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#36 innerear

innerear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

i am interested in reading JP's book because i (as, i assume many of us did) came from the same scene/environment he did and a lot of us are all doing similar things.

so he scored himself a book deal and wrote a book about his life. that's what writing is. just because it's framed as a memoir, doesn't make it any less work than writing any other work. give the dude some props. if you think it's easy, give it a shot, and see if you can sell it. or, if you're too cool, put it out yourself. i'll read it.

jp could've framed his book like brian peterson, (burning fight: the 90s hardcore revolution) but he chose to do it more first person style. so what? i've seen some of jp's writing, and he can write. whether it's a good book or not, i have no idea. but unless you've read it, who cares about your opinion?

sarah palin is interesting and polarizing. assface donald rumsfeld is interesting and polarizing. jp (and his music) is interesting and polarizing. with all the schlock bullshit that's out there, why would you criticize him for writing something that is a historical document of a scene that deserves documenting because he's the documenter?

i smell a little jealousy on the board today.

Yeah what bobby said....

#37 danielle

danielle

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm totally going to pick this book up. I think it will be an interesting read. I only met JP a few times, but he always seemed pretty nice to me. I would go to the reading but I have to work that night.

Hot Rod Todd is still alive? It's been awhile since I thought about those days.
“The man that cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot”-Andre Breton

#38 innerear

innerear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

This is tomorrow, plus later that night his band All Leather are playing at the underground.
I know Chad can't wait. :)

#39 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

i would check it out but i got to work early in the morning the next day.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#40 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

could someone get me a copy? You know I'm good for it!

shitty is now.

#41 negicore

negicore

Shizz Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Anne Frank was young when she wrote her memoirs....But I guess they didn't get printed for some time...
the next time the star shoots across the sky, I'm gonna grab it, and smash it, under my feet...http://djjohnnyvolume.tumblr.com/

#42 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Anne Frank was young when she wrote her memoirs....But I guess they didn't get printed for some time...

wow.

-trunkspace

#43 Coward Crutch

Coward Crutch

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

count it!

shitty is now.

#44 select

select

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

how did this turn out?

#45 jeremy_arp

jeremy_arp

Shizz Senior Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:39 PM

how did this turn out?

About 15 people showed total. Mr. Pearson described the book and the decision to keep Arizona as a stop on the book/band tour. Out of protest over recent regional political developments, the author had a band mate read a passage in Spanish. The question and answer session was engaging and candid. The discussion involved Arizona immigration issues, border politics, the state of the record industry, and life as a musician. I bought the book which I found to be well-written and very entertaining. I was impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users