37 replies to this topic

#1 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hey ya'll. My new chicks will start laying soon and i'll be up to my ears in fresh, delicious eggs. Is anyone interested in setting up a weekly/bi weekly/monthly purchase of some? I'm going to be getting my own cartons and everything! I will be getting roughly 10-12 eggs a day, so i'll have room for 6-7 weekly buyers. Bock bock!
I still don't have a signature.

#2 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

dang man. If I lived in AZ I would be all over this.

eggs are .... incredible.
you're a signature.

#3 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

we're behind on our chicken plans and may be interested in this. can you shoot me some prices?
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#4 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

we're talkin about 4 bux a dozen. But that custom carton... Hmm... Might be a custom carton surcharge. $4 per dozen if you bring a carton in...? Thoughts?

#5 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

i would be in for this. they are 5 at the farmer's market.

i currently buy my eggs from hickman's which is an az farm but i dont know how they treat their hens and it's in buckeye, so if i bought them in phx it would be less of a carbon footprint and i know that fatguyaz loves his chicks.....and i've been to your house so i know they are not sitting in cages all day.

yeah i'm in. i have a regular carton too

#6 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

How much to just put them in my hand?

#7 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,117 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

How much to just put them in my hand?

$6
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#8 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

"15 bucks, little man.. put that shit in my hand."
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#9 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Jacki, how many eggs you go through per week?

#10 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

i currently buy my eggs from hickman's which is an az farm but i dont know how they treat their hens and it's in buckeye, so if i bought them in phx it would be less of a carbon footprint and i know that fatguyaz loves his chicks.....and i've been to your house so i know they are not sitting in cages all day.

chad's eggs > hickmans

although, as factory eggs go, hickmans is pretty good. i don't think they taste any different, but they seem to be about as humane as a factory farm can get. there was a big article in phoenix magazine a month or two ago profiling several local growers/farms, and hickmans was one of them.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#11 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

chad's eggs > hickmans

although, as factory eggs go, hickmans is pretty good. i don't think they taste any different, but they seem to be about as humane as a factory farm can get. there was a big article in phoenix magazine a month or two ago profiling several local growers/farms, and hickmans was one of them.

well that's good to know. i know they dont use hormones or antibiotics, but their cartons never say "cage free" or anything....so i always wondered.

Chad - i try to eat 2 eggs for breakfast every day during the week. i do most days, but not all. so i would say i go through 1/2 a dozen in a week, sometimes more.

#12 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

chad's eggs > hickmans

well that's good to know. i know they dont use hormones or antibiotics, but their cartons never say "cage free" or anything....so i always wondered.

Chad - i try to eat 2 eggs for breakfast every day during the week. i do most days, but not all. so i would say i go through 1/2 a dozen in a week, sometimes more.

they're caged at hickman's. i don't remember all the details about how much space they're crammed into - it seems small, but they're chickens, so i don't know what they consider acceptable. anyway, their explanation about why they're NOT cage free (which seems reasonable) is that once you get above a certain number of chickens the "herd" gets too big and there are too many alphas and it turns into a constant chicken war. broken bones and chickens pecking their eyes out, that sort of thing. oh, and there's no way to effectively manage the shit, so there's so much ammonia in the air that it's toxic. and of course they just lay eggs wherever they want, so the chances of salmonella go up. so if they wanted to produce as many eggs as they do, they'd need an unreasonable amount of space to keep all the herds small and manageable. granted, this is coming from a company that has a vested interest in you buying into their philosophy, so take it with a grain of salt. but their point was something along the lines of "cage free is great if you know it's from a small farm" and not great if it's from a large farm, because they probably can't effectively control diseases/chicken care/feces at that scale.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#13 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

chad's eggs > hickmans

they're caged at hickman's. i don't remember all the details about how much space they're crammed into - it seems small, but they're chickens, so i don't know what they consider acceptable. anyway, their explanation about why they're NOT cage free (which seems reasonable) is that once you get above a certain number of chickens the "herd" gets too big and there are too many alphas and it turns into a constant chicken war. broken bones and chickens pecking their eyes out, that sort of thing. oh, and there's no way to effectively manage the shit, so there's so much ammonia in the air that it's toxic. and of course they just lay eggs wherever they want, so the chances of salmonella go up. so if they wanted to produce as many eggs as they do, they'd need an unreasonable amount of space to keep all the herds small and manageable. granted, this is coming from a company that has a vested interest in you buying into their philosophy, so take it with a grain of salt. but their point was something along the lines of "cage free is great if you know it's from a small farm" and not great if it's from a large farm, because they probably can't effectively control diseases/chicken care/feces at that scale.

I'd buy that. What the animal rights ppl are bitching about is that the cages are too small. They usually keep 3 chickens per cage and none of them can stand or turn around. Pretty shitty condition, but it's true: If you had 10,000 chickens in one yard, it would be mayhem. It's hard enough rangling the 17 i have now. What the people like Hickmans are pissed about is if they have to get bigger cages or get more space, then eggs from Mexico and other countries that DON'T have the cage regulations will be cheaper and the rest is history. You guys should probably just buy them from me. I feed mine flax seeds for the extra Omega-3 goodness, too! :ph34r:

#14 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

chad's eggs > hickmans

I'd buy that. What the animal rights ppl are bitching about is that the cages are too small. They usually keep 3 chickens per cage and none of them can stand or turn around. Pretty shitty condition, but it's true: If you had 10,000 chickens in one yard, it would be mayhem. It's hard enough rangling the 17 i have now. What the people like Hickmans are pissed about is if they have to get bigger cages or get more space, then eggs from Mexico and other countries that DON'T have the cage regulations will be cheaper and the rest is history. You guys should probably just buy them from me. I feed mine flax seeds for the extra Omega-3 goodness, too! :ph34r:

interesting.....

i'd still rather buy them from chad, just cuz that's cool......

#15 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

chad's eggs > hickmans

interesting.....

i'd still rather buy them from chad, just cuz that's cool......

not to mention they're delicious. noticably better than store bought eggs. if you're making cake or cookies or something i don't know if it matters, but if you're eating them for breakfast you can definitely tell.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

- Martin Shizzmore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users