37 replies to this topic

#16 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

i would be in for this. they are 5 at the farmer's market.

i currently buy my eggs from hickman's which is an az farm but i dont know how they treat their hens and it's in buckeye, so if i bought them in phx it would be less of a carbon footprint and i know that fatguyaz loves his chicks.....and i've been to your house so i know they are not sitting in cages all day.

yeah i'm in. i have a regular carton too

chad's eggs > hickmans

although, as factory eggs go, hickmans is pretty good. i don't think they taste any different, but they seem to be about as humane as a factory farm can get. there was a big article in phoenix magazine a month or two ago profiling several local growers/farms, and hickmans was one of them.

well that's good to know. i know they dont use hormones or antibiotics, but their cartons never say "cage free" or anything....so i always wondered.

Chad - i try to eat 2 eggs for breakfast every day during the week. i do most days, but not all. so i would say i go through 1/2 a dozen in a week, sometimes more.

they're caged at hickman's. i don't remember all the details about how much space they're crammed into - it seems small, but they're chickens, so i don't know what they consider acceptable. anyway, their explanation about why they're NOT cage free (which seems reasonable) is that once you get above a certain number of chickens the "herd" gets too big and there are too many alphas and it turns into a constant chicken war. broken bones and chickens pecking their eyes out, that sort of thing. oh, and there's no way to effectively manage the shit, so there's so much ammonia in the air that it's toxic. and of course they just lay eggs wherever they want, so the chances of salmonella go up. so if they wanted to produce as many eggs as they do, they'd need an unreasonable amount of space to keep all the herds small and manageable. granted, this is coming from a company that has a vested interest in you buying into their philosophy, so take it with a grain of salt. but their point was something along the lines of "cage free is great if you know it's from a small farm" and not great if it's from a large farm, because they probably can't effectively control diseases/chicken care/feces at that scale.

I'd buy that. What the animal rights ppl are bitching about is that the cages are too small. They usually keep 3 chickens per cage and none of them can stand or turn around. Pretty shitty condition, but it's true: If you had 10,000 chickens in one yard, it would be mayhem. It's hard enough rangling the 17 i have now. What the people like Hickmans are pissed about is if they have to get bigger cages or get more space, then eggs from Mexico and other countries that DON'T have the cage regulations will be cheaper and the rest is history. You guys should probably just buy them from me. I feed mine flax seeds for the extra Omega-3 goodness, too! :ph34r:

interesting.....

i'd still rather buy them from chad, just cuz that's cool......

not to mention they're delicious. noticably better than store bought eggs. if you're making cake or cookies or something i don't know if it matters, but if you're eating them for breakfast you can definitely tell.

However, the possibility of a gross, rotten egg go up exponentially.

I have had two or so since getting eggs from Chad.

That being said, I'd rather get a gross egg from Chad once in a while, then even go on a tour of an egg farm. Heeby jeeby~!

Martin Farm eggs are the best though.

#17 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

wow. Thanks for the glowing review.

No more eggs for you!

Admins, can we get this guy outta here, or what?
I still don't have a signature.

#18 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

wow. Thanks for the glowing review.

No more eggs for you!

Admins, can we get this guy outta here, or what?

Hey! Organic means REAL, right?

#19 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

yeah, 'real'. Not 'real gross and rotten.' I'm trying to sell eggs, not make people vomit.

#20 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

yeah, 'real'. Not 'real gross and rotten.' I'm trying to sell eggs, not make people vomit.

You are vomit

:)

I will buy all of the eggs!

#21 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

quezo is an egg party foul!!!!!

#22 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Chad, I will sign up for buying eggs from you!

#23 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

ok, i need a fancy digital sign up sheet, with an egg pick up schedule, and inventory. So everyone who needs them can let me know when they're picking up, how many they need and how many i have in stock. Is there an app for that?

#24 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

ok, i need a fancy digital sign up sheet, with an egg pick up schedule, and inventory. So everyone who needs them can let me know when they're picking up, how many they need and how many i have in stock. Is there an app for that?

it's called excel.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#25 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

google spreadsheet, here i come!!

#26 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Got my first dozen! THANKS CHAD! cant wait to eat these things!

#27 thundertortoise

thundertortoise

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

Yo! I wanna buy your eggs! I was just wondering where I can get some of these. What do I gotta do? :ph34r:

I'm located in central phx.

#28 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

FYI, everyone. I've had a few fine folks get in touch about buying eggs. My youngest layers are not in full production yet, so their schedule is spotty. Once they get going (another month or so) they'll lay, roughly, 5 or 6 a week, per chicken. That will give me about a dozen eggs a day. I'll have plenty for everyone when that time comes. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the interest!

Chad

#29 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Ok, all. The girls are now ramping up into full production mode. I'm getting about 8-12 eggs a day, now. Granted, some are smaller than normal, so you'll be getting a "farmers dozen" when you get a dozen eggs. (i'll throw in a couple more on top of the dozen to make up for the size of the shrimps.) Let me know if you're interested. I should be able to start taking weekly orders, now, so let me know how many you'd like and on what time table and we'll get something set up. I'm on 44th st and Thomas in Phx. Just in time for Easter, y'all!!
Posted Image

#30 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

Ok, all. The girls are now ramping up into full production mode. I'm getting about 8-12 eggs a day, now. Granted, some are smaller than normal, so you'll be getting a "farmers dozen" when you get a dozen eggs. (i'll throw in a couple more on top of the dozen to make up for the size of the shrimps.) Let me know if you're interested. I should be able to start taking weekly orders, now, so let me know how many you'd like and on what time table and we'll get something set up. I'm on 44th st and Thomas in Phx. Just in time for Easter, y'all!!

awesome. we're just down the road from ya and could likely do with a dozen a week if you've got room on your list.
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users