jesse

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:24 AM

derby - qualities
mirah - you think it's like this but really it's like this

i noticed a karate discussion a few pages back. what's the general consensus on the best karate album?
i think it's 'unsolved'. i mean, it closes with this day next year. what more do you need?
I LOVE NINJA GAYDEN KILL YOURSELF!!

#1532 Guest_tdreisert_*

Guest_tdreisert_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

some boots, the bed is in the ocean, and unsolved are the one's I've heard and liked. some boots and unsolved are more jazz/blues influenced, so if that's your thing.

what about the secret stars? Pre-Ida east coast band of Geoff Farina and Jodi Buonanno -- they had a couple releases on Simple Machines (Tsunami, Ida, etc.) Great stuff. Their song, Shoe-In, is great. Ida actually does a great cover of it, too. After discovering Karate years and years ago, I started reading all the crazy info on the Secret Stars site -- Geoff Farina's Fender Tube Amp Modifications (have you noticed the flawless guitar sound on those Karate albums?) and his dissertation on Synth Modifications through popular music and jazz (Herbie Hancock et al.) I don't know if all that reading material is still on the web, but it's a wealth of knowledge.

#1533 Guest_Mitchell!!!!11_*

Guest_Mitchell!!!!11_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:53 AM

a shitload of classical music, the obvious composers

and then some of the more modern stuff like bernard herrmann

#1534 Ninjaneer

Ninjaneer

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

Ides of Space.
I saved latin. What did you ever do?

#1535 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:21 PM

a shitload of classical music, the obvious composers

and then some of the more modern stuff like bernard herrmann

the soundtrack to vertigo is my favorite

& the sdtrk to taxi driver is probably a close 2nd

#1536 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Posted Image

the only texas is the reason song i ever fell in love with

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#1537 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

Posted Image

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#1538 Guest_jaelita_*

Guest_jaelita_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

yentl

Posted Image

#1539 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

Sly and The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
Sunday International
The Band - Greatest Hits
Beck - Mutations

#1540 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

i noticed a karate discussion a few pages back. what's the general consensus on the best karate album?
i think it's 'unsolved'. i mean, it closes with this day next year. what more do you need?

I love "The Bed is in the Ocean" and would consider it their best album. It's got enough of their jazz leaning to keep it interesting, but still rock. Diazapam, Bass Sounds and Not To Call the Police are such good tracks. Actually There are Ghosts and Not to Call the Police are perfect bookends. Pretty much sum up the progression of that album.

I really like Unsolved as well. Sever and Halo of the Strange are great too, along with This Day Next Year.

Recently:

Test Icicles - For Screening Purposes Only
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#1541 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

I love "The Bed is in the Ocean" and would consider it their best album. It's got enough of their jazz leaning to keep it interesting, but still rock. Diazapam, Bass Sounds and Not To Call the Police are such good tracks. Actually There are Ghosts and Not to Call the Police are perfect bookends. Pretty much sum up the progression of that album.

whats the karate ablum that has the song, "the refrigerator us running" i love that song

-trunkspace

#1542 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image

-trunkspace

#1543 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

-trunkspace

#1544 DoctorShumway

DoctorShumway

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

whats the karate ablum that has the song, "the refrigerator us running" i love that song

Do you mean the line "So quiet/I can hear that the refridgerator is on"? If so, that's "There are Ghosts".
Take your time old man/These vultures are happy to wait

#1545 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

oh yea thats it, word , thanks

-trunkspace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users