leahlee's Content

There have been 50 items by leahlee (Search limited from 07-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#177314 Happy Thanksgiving

Posted by leahlee on 25 November 2004 - 12:10 PM in The Shizz General Forum

are you anti thanksgiving Leah?

If so that's fine, create a new thread about it, but don't take over this thread of people talking about what they are thankful for by
posting about Turkey advocacy and how the colonials poisoned tons of indians.

It doesn't mix well.

-----------------------------------

I am thankful for all the new people I have met through the shizz, Sherv, Colin, Steph, Mig, Beth, Matsu, Raub, and so many others.
I am thankful for my job my family, my friends, my new house and the ability to travel.
I have come along way from where I was as a teenager and have far surpassed my realistic goals in life. ( I had low expectations, what can I say :) )
So I am consistently aware of this and thankful not just today but all the time of these things.

since when do shizz threads follow a rule of having only comments that "mix well"? if you go to almost any thread you will find an original topic that goes off into several different tangents, depending on what people want to say. so i said what i wanted to say in a "happy thanksgiving" thread. if there have been new rules established about threads requiring a harmonious, linear, predictable flow, then, my apologies, i guess i didnt get the memo.

happy thanksgiving!

im thankful for:

free speech on the shizz!
community dialogue!
exchange of information and ideas!

#177274 Happy Thanksgiving

Posted by leahlee on 25 November 2004 - 10:37 AM in The Shizz General Forum

As many people in the US prepare to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, we are reminded by animal advocates that the US slaughters nearly 300 million turkeys every year for consumption. Globally, the annual slaughter of turkeys is at least 691 million, suggesting that the US accounts for a sizable portion of the world's turkey slaughter. Per capita consumption of turkey flesh in the US has remained flat for about eight years, from a high of 18.2 pounds per person in 1996 to 17.3 pounds per person in 2004. Fighting against the continued consumption of turkeys during Thanksgiving and throughout the year, a growing number of animal advocates are highlighting the plight of turkeys using personal stories.

A personal account from author and long-time animal activist Jim Mason, featured on the website of Compassion Over Killing, discusses Mason's day working as an artificial inseminator for a Butterball Turkey farm in Missouri. Mason details the process of "breaking" turkey hens in order to inseminate them, as well as other issues like the plight of disadvantaged farm workers looking for employment. Other turkey advocates are emphasizing the positive aspects of vegetarianism, including Farm Sanctuary's "Adopt-A-Turkey" month during all of November, and meatless feed-ins by animal protection groups like Animal Place in California. The aptly named Turkey Story website (http://www.turkeystory.com) provides the story of one rescued turkey named Adam. Adam's rescuer details the circumstances of the birds' conditions on a factory farm and provides an inspiring story of rescue and rehabilitation.

Some animal advocates in California are taking a more direct approach to turkey advocacy. Earlier this year, East Bay Animal Advocates (EBA) conducted an in-depth investigation and open rescue at a turkey farm in Northern California. Since 2003, EBAA has rescued almost 20 turkeys from "free-range" and factory farms. According to one EBAA activist, "Turkeys are just like dogs, they're very animated and intelligent animals. It's hard to say that until you actually meet a turkey."

#177262 Happy Thanksgiving

Posted by leahlee on 25 November 2004 - 10:19 AM in The Shizz General Forum

A brief history of Amerikkka's celebration of genocide:

In 1621 the myth of thanksgiving was born. The colonists invited Massasoit, chief of the Wampanoags, to their first feast as a follow up to their recent land deal. Massasoit in turn invited 90 of his men, much to the chagrin of the colonists. Two years later the English invited a number of tribes to a feast "symbolizing eternal friendship." The English offered food and drink, and two hundred Indians dropped dead from unknown poison.
:
: The first day of thanksgiving took place in 1637 amidst the war against the Pequots. 700 men, women, and children of the Pequot tribe were gathered for their annual green corn dance on what is now Groton, Connecticut. Dutch and English mercenaries surrounded the camp and proceeded to shoot, stab, butcher and burn alive all 700 people. The next day the Massachusetts Bay Colony held a feast in celebration and the governor declared "a day of thanksgiving." In the ensuing madness of the Indian extermination, natives were scalped, burned, mutilated and sold into slavery, and a feast was held in celebration every time a successful massacre took place. The killing frenzy got so bad that even the Churches of Manhattan announced a day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the "heathen savages," and many celebrated by kicking the severed heads of Pequot people through the streets like soccer balls.
:

The most interesting part of thanksgiving is the propaganda that has been put out surrounding it. During the 19th century thanksgiving traditions consisted of turkey and family reunions. Whenever popular art contained both pilgrims and Indians, the scene was usually characterized by violent confrontations between the two groups, not a multi-cultural/multi-racial dinner. In 1914 artist Jennie Brownscombe created the vision of thanksgiving that we see today: community, religion, racial harmony and tolerance, after her notorious painting reached wide circulation in Life magazine.
:
: Adamant protests to the celebration of thanksgiving have taken place over the years. As early as 1863 Pequot Indian Minister William Apess urged "every man of color" to mourn the day of the landing, and bury Plymouth Rock in protest. In 1970 Apess got his way. 1970 was the "350th" anniversary of thanksgiving, and became the first proclaimed national day of mourning for American Indians.

Happy Thanksgiving!

#174146 a stolen link from the minibosses board

Posted by leahlee on 18 November 2004 - 07:41 PM in The Shizz General Forum

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.i-am-asian.com

(i dont know how to do a link thingy; cut and paste works!)

#174143 Top Three Movies at Moment

Posted by leahlee on 18 November 2004 - 07:25 PM in The Shizz General Forum

1. your mom
2. tu mamá
3. sua mãe

#171479 Are you man enough...

Posted by leahlee on 13 November 2004 - 11:19 AM in The Shizz General Forum

see what your fav 90210 star is talking about....

www.kfccruelty.com

#167177 Ladies and gentlemen

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 09:27 PM in The Shizz General Forum

a good way to leave this country

#166922 Americopa Mantle cd

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 11:58 AM in The Shizz General Forum

if i remember correctly, we were told every band would get 10 free copies, and any more than that would have to be purchased.

#166908 Americopa Mantle cd

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 11:38 AM in The Shizz General Forum

svweet. we will reimburse you for postage, dude.

#166896 Americopa Mantle cd

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 11:25 AM in The Shizz General Forum

let it be known that the members of the ruby lee are NOT mormon. rich and i almost didnt get our photos in, because we live far away now and dont have a digital camera. at the very last minute we were able to have one taken. hey, everyone who is on the comp, have you received copies of it yet?? we didnt even know it was finished until reading this post. we were promised some copies...

#166892 voting today

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 11:16 AM in The Shizz General Forum

ya mean, like my avatar?

http://65.54.187.250.....newcanada.gif

no, the best part is in the new names!

JESUSLAND!!!! WOO-HOOO!!!!

#166879 voting today

Posted by leahlee on 04 November 2004 - 10:54 AM in The Shizz General Forum

this is what the map of north america should look like:

http://idisk.mac.com...lic/new_map.jpg

#155265 upcoming flagstaff shows

Posted by leahlee on 10 October 2004 - 06:53 AM in Shows and Stuff

hey flagstaff, spring says ?hola, co'mo esta's? she wants to know if anyone wants her to smuggle home some mexican candy.

#149941 ruby lee review!

Posted by leahlee on 29 September 2004 - 08:38 AM in The Shizz General Forum

hey, we got a review on splendid ezine! check it out!

here

#146641 These guys suck, too.

Posted by leahlee on 22 September 2004 - 09:19 AM in Shows and Stuff

chad, your Wipers avatar is the shit! B)

#146341 whats with all the members

Posted by leahlee on 21 September 2004 - 05:10 PM in The Shizz General Forum

i only like to post when i can argue about something.  arguing is an old hobby-o-mine.  start something controversial and ill chime in fer sure.

The government should mandate legalized abortion up to the the 54th trimester.

Because killing babies is good for the economy.

it doesnt work if something is just thrown up for the purpose of getting me to 'chime in'. thats no fun.

#146328 whats with all the members

Posted by leahlee on 21 September 2004 - 04:43 PM in The Shizz General Forum

i only like to post when i can argue about something. arguing is an old hobby-o-mine. start something controversial and ill chime in fer sure.

#139897 the cure for religious intolerance

Posted by leahlee on 05 September 2004 - 08:45 AM in The Shizz General Forum

this is so great. go to the section of "why do i need it?"

www.plug-pray.org

#131102 Aug 29 at Modifarts

Posted by leahlee on 14 August 2004 - 10:04 AM in Shows and Stuff

me too... sniffle. but we will be there for a christmas visit before you know it!

#130729 Aug 29 at Modifarts

Posted by leahlee on 13 August 2004 - 03:03 PM in Shows and Stuff

hey there is a bodacious band from chicago coming to play at modifarts on aug 29. they are called viva voce. dont have the address on me but you should google them and give a listen.

#130564 ripping vinyl

Posted by leahlee on 13 August 2004 - 11:02 AM in The Shizz General Forum

oh i have to say one more thing regarding buffalo being a "socioecologically sound" company. whatever. all the new merch they order comes from sweatshop labor. most of the new merch clothes fall apart before they are even sold because they are cheaply made by sweatshop workers in china and hong kong. when i was working there, that is something no one wanted to talk about...

#130553 ripping vinyl

Posted by leahlee on 13 August 2004 - 10:51 AM in The Shizz General Forum

what a coincidence!!! i worked at buffalo (phx location) too! so i know all about the piles of stained wal-mart crap. i thought it was clear in my last post that the CUSTOMERS who shop at buffalo get it handed to them on a platter (not the buyers). and im interested that you say you "get paid quite a bit" because no one i know (at the phx location) got paid well (barely a living wage) for the amount of shit they had to do. i think the reason many buffalo employees feel so much pride in their jobs is because there is a lot of touchy-feely good times propaganda in the company. the pay sucks, but you get to do fun activities like have little in-store fashion shows and play games at store meetings, so i guess that makes up for it. but if it makes you happy, i guess thats good. i for one feel happy when i pay $3 for an awesome vintage dress, wear it for several years, and then sell it to buffalo for 3 times what i paid for it.

p.s. most of the thrift stores i shop at are for-profit.

#130342 ripping vinyl

Posted by leahlee on 12 August 2004 - 04:06 PM in The Shizz General Forum

whats reeeaally cool (attn: fissionary) is that i have probably made close to $2000 from selling thrift store goodies to buffalo exchange over the years! duuuh. from where do you think all your awesome buffalo clothes came?? i think its mostly lame to shop there because cool stuff is basically handed to you on a platter. a large part of what i love about wearing vintage stuff is the thrill of the hunt. i like to think thats what separates the true collectors from the trendy scenesters.

#129546 Want to hear something nice today?

Posted by leahlee on 10 August 2004 - 05:25 PM in The Shizz General Forum

howdy all. yes, i was just passing it along. yes im still in chicago. its great. its 65 degrees outside right now. but seriously, i couldnt believe how awesome that ladys song was. it was too perfect. everyone should hear!!!

#129483 Want to hear something nice today?

Posted by leahlee on 10 August 2004 - 02:17 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Hi, I'm Beth from 180 <+> OUT. We just recorded our first demo single. Please give it a listen at: www.soundclick.com/180out. It's a free download, so if you like it (Hope you will!) please pass it along to a friend. Have a great day. Thanks so much and God bless!

Love and Peace,
Beth
180 <+> OUT

www.soundclick.com/180out
(Click on the right where it says music) Thanks!