The Grand Cayenne Music Festival...One week away!

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

Anyways, if you are going to be on the eastside Saturday anyways why don't you come drown your sorrows with us over at the Hollywood Alley?
We'd love to have you and....
---no one is going to tell you to leave at 10:30pm.
---your allergies won't act up due to the grass and dust
---the beer is MUCH cheaper
---little kids won't be there trying to mooch cigarettes from you
---no ticketmaster surcharge

and you can smoke......cigarettes.

#32 capthfc

capthfc

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

everything else aside.....

the last reubens accomplice record is one of the absolute fucking best records i have ever heard

agreed.

i don't care to get into the debate going on about phoenix and why this show got cancelled, i just want to say that i was completely shocked yesterday when i heard that this show was cancelled. in my opinion this was an amazing lineup and would have been a pretty great show to see.

charlie is one of the most genuine, hardest working people that i know and it's a real shame that he doesn't always get the support that he deserves, especially when this show was intended as an anniversary party, of sorts, to celebrate that genuiness and hard work.
throw the children.

#33 guitarduane

guitarduane

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

But I think that the leap to 4 mil from 1 mil is quite exponential. I hope someone who understands what I mean by that (I don't know if I'm being clear...) can better explain my point.

Brodie Hubbard should have Scott Sapp for a pool boy!!!

I LOVE AZ!!!! PHOENIX ROCK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for the LA thing... it's hard to compare because you have people out there because it's an industry city. so of course there will be more people going to shows. factor that in with the fact that bands like spoon are being mentioned in shows like the OC, and now you have actors going to these shows and "fans" going to see actors. phoenix is not LA, i agree with you brodie.

and i like your optimism, i'm with you in the non-sarcastic praising of phoenix.

and i'll be your pool boy.

#34 Guest_machinesreplacingteens_*

Guest_machinesreplacingteens_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:27 AM

hmm i actually had plans to go to this show. 22 dollars seemed like a lot to me, but then again i rarely go to shows that cost more than 10 and that IS a lot of quality music. i kind of wondered how the show didn't just stay a smaller show without all the locals, and how it turned into a huge festival, but i had no complaints. i was ready to go. here's a thing though..

..i wonder if there were other idiots like me who didn't even think they had to buy tickets before hand..i was planning on buying tickets at the door. in fact, when i saw this thread, i was going to post to see if i could even buy tickets at the door..then i come to find it's cancelled. that's really shitty.

hopefully mates of state, black heart procession and spoon will come back again. i can't say i'm broken up about missing hellogoodbye, but overall that's really really disappointing the show got cancelled. :(

-justin-

#35 church

church

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

walk-up traffic is unusually large in phoenix. and the promoter anticipates those numbers based on ticket sales. if that calculation still doesn't cover the costs, you have to cancel the show. charlie has lost plenty of money on dozens of shows through the years. if he had the money to cover this show, he would have taken the hit

so how's the weather out there anyway?

#36 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

freaking awsome, it's like lower mid 80s. today was kinda breezy in the morning but i haven't been out side in a while

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#37 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

so far this morning/afternoon - and i don't want
to jinx it - one of the best days for weather this
year, maybe the best.

#38 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

Jeremiah...

I agree with almost everything you say, you make some very valid points. And the stuff you disagree with me on, please remember, I was just kind of brainstorming. Spitballing. Bullshitting.

I think Charlie did everything he could finically and resourcefully to promote this Festival and I think it was “good stuff.”

I wholeheartedly agree. I've already said this, but my ruminations were about poor attendence at shows as a whole. I was trying to open up a dicussion beyond just this one event.

As for the comment about Grand Avenue bands... touche, pussycat... but I maintain if there were a bigger pool of local bands being rotated in those coveted "big show" spots, it'd be good for the community as a whole. Some shows may be doing well with "the same ol' local bands," but I wonder how long that would last. We need new blood. Brains, brains, delicious brains...

I'm not going to defend myself again (beyond this post) as far as it pertains to the bands and promoters I mentioned... I think I've made it clear that I have respect for all mentioned. It's more of a big picture problem than any problem with any entity.

#39 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

Serious apologies. I have NO IDEA what I was blathering about. It's a messageboard. Happens all the time. These sorts of comments make up 99% of my posts. I have no clue what it's like to book a show anywhere like Mesa Ampetheater. Not a clue.

Further, I've heard one Spoon album in my whole life, coincidentally I think Capt HFC played it for me. I was not impressed. Also, I haven't seen Rueben's Accomplace for years, but when I did see them, they would open for every band I wanted to seeand in my opinion, they were the worst, most derivitave band ever. This was years ago. Whatever. Opinions are like assholes... etc.

I think it should be understood that everyone on this board respects others efforts to move culture and to help it evolve and to have people see and experience it. I think that's why we found this spot.

#40 capthfc

capthfc

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:59 PM

Serious apologies. I have NO IDEA what I was blathering about. It's a messageboard. Happens all the time. These sorts of comments make up 99% of my posts. I have no clue what it's like to book a show anywhere like Mesa Ampetheater. Not a clue.

Further, I've heard one Spoon album in my whole life, coincidentally I think Capt HFC played it for me. I was not impressed. Also, I haven't seen Rueben's Accomplace for years, but when I did see them, they would open for every band I wanted to seeand in my opinion, they were the worst, most derivitave band ever. This was years ago. Whatever. Opinions are like assholes... etc.

I think it should be understood that everyone on this board respects others efforts to move culture and to help it evolve and to have people see and experience it. I think that's why we found this spot.

fuck you.

;)
throw the children.

#41 Guest_aaronttp_*

Guest_aaronttp_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

brodie,

a quick point re: same local bands on every charlie show.

1. check jeremiah's post reguarding the "other" bands charlie puts on shows besides his friends. in fact, check out stateside presents right now. big ups to jeremiah for making that point. the only show i've done all year for one of my best friends (charlie) was the steel train show jeremiah refered to. and we got to be on that show because of steel trains request. not because of charlie or jeremiah.

i think the "reubens gets every show" aruement is a bit played out. first off, they dont, secondly, as i stated before, reubens is on charlies label. any time he favors them is totally legit. he takes the risk on the show. he takes the risk on releasing their record. if you want to open up for death cab or whoever, promote their show and risk loosing 10-20 thousand dollars. then you can open for death cab or whoever. it might cost you $10,000, but you'll get the slot.

anyway..........in the interest of full disclosure, i will say that ian from el oso negro and chris from reubens accomplice are my roomates. charlie is one of my best friends. i dont, however, think that this waters down my arguement at all.

-a

#42 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

hi arron, tell ian i said hi too

i never see you guys anymore :(

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#43 Guest_Battarista Sucio_*

Guest_Battarista Sucio_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

The whole idea of using Mesa amp was a great idea. It is the only mid sized low risk outdoor venue to have an all day outing for music fans. I don't think the location was the problem.

I think the biggest mistake of this gig was booking Spoon as the headliner. I think it was a huge miss for the Phoenix demographic. A strong headliner would have drawn more heads, more excitement etc. Spoon isn't going to fill Mesa amp and neither were any of the openers. I have nothing but good memories of shows I have seen at Mesa amp... Butthole Surfers with shotguns and the epic Beastie Boys show, with gusty winds blowing those huge chandaliers back and forth... I think I have that one on tape.

That being said, I was ready to go to the show. Shoot, great weather, outdoors... grass, grass, music. YES.

Also, I personally like Spoon. Not my favorite but I like them.

Castle

#44 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:36 PM

i also agree that the lineup might not have warranted
a place as big as the mesa amp. i think it's a great
lineup and probably would have been a great show,
and it's sad that it got cancelled. :(

#45 natalie

natalie

Pimpin

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

total bummer. and we were gonna take the bus and everything :(

i know for some bands it may seem a little askew about how and who gets shows around this town. but, i think you have to own your own course.. and remember, a lot of times the 'touring' band's management and/or label often specifically requests that "locals" don't appear on the bill. i personally know that charlie and will do what they can to support local acts and try to spread the wealth.

i know it's not the way things 'used to be' for some - so - maybe we should start coming up with other ways and means to have successful, populated shows...hmmm? (i.e hit up the west/east sides of town with venues in goodyear/avondale/peoria/glendale/chandler/gilbert) .. go where all the kids are, ya know.

anywho - i'm bummed. i love spoon, earlimart and the mates.. and i would've really enjoyed the GBC reunion! <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users