the chadwicks?<s>

#32 guitarduane

guitarduane

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

hmmm....seattle has subpop; chicago has thrill jockey--used to have wax trax; new york has tons of labels; there's merge in what, south carolina? see a pattern here? what does phx have?

i agreed at first. but then i thought, were these labels products of the scene, or the other way around. meaning, if someone starts a successful label in phoenix, does that kickstart the crowds coming to shows. or does phoenix need the thriving scene before a label will have success?

and there are/have been labels putting out pretty good stuff... sunset alliance - i know dave jensen is struggling to keep putting out records. there is western tread now which seems to have the pieces to be successful. what was brad singers label? epiphany?

#33 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

hmmm....seattle has subpop;  chicago has thrill jockey--used to have wax trax;  new york has tons of labels;  there's merge in what, south carolina?  see a pattern here?  what does phx have?

i agreed at first. but then i thought, were these labels products of the scene, or the other way around. meaning, if someone starts a successful label in phoenix, does that kickstart the crowds coming to shows. or does phoenix need the thriving scene before a label will have success?

and there are/have been labels putting out pretty good stuff... sunset alliance - i know dave jensen is struggling to keep putting out records. there is western tread now which seems to have the pieces to be successful. what was brad singers label? epiphany?

you're right. there's definitley a lot of 'chicken and egg' predicament about music. you need some great bands, you need someone with vision to put them on their label and promote them properly .... what comes first? what comes second? it's anyone's guess.

#34 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:49 PM

phoenix has a thriving scene... many, many thriving scenes...

#35 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

phoenix has a thriving scene... many, many thriving scenes...

this may sound weird but, there is probably TOO many places to go to see music and that is because this place is so big.

If there was only one place to see music, EVERYONE would go there cause that's the only place to go.

I don't think there is lack of support, I think there are plenty of people that go to shows, the thing is there are so many options out there for people to go to. There were at least three things going on this past saturday, I only made it to one.

Why should I go to the clubhouse to see a particular band when I can see another at the modified or paperheart or trunkspace or a house party or the big fish pub or the hollywood alley or monroes or whatever.

It is a benefit for the bands in a way because this is probably the easiest place to book shows because there are so many options.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#36 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

If there was only one place to see music, EVERYONE would go there cause that's the only place to go.
It is a benefit for the bands in a way because this is probably the easiest place to book shows because there are so many options.

i agree. and it's a double edged sword. on the one hand, you need to play as much as you can so it's great to have the options. on the other hand, your audience is all over the place and your regular crowd doesn't want to see you every weekend.

think of places like flagstaff where there aren't a million places to play - even on slow nights there the shows tend to have a good crowd and it's usually not the same people. or in las cruces, nm. granted, not the sexiest place in the world to play, but a lot of people come out because they don't really have a choice.

something that hasn't been brought up (which is a little surprising) is the impact of something like first friday. tons of people are out for those shows, usually regardless of the lineups. it indicates that people would flock to a centralized spot if there were a lot of options they could walk to. maybe if we can generate more buzz at places that are right downtown or in some other cluster it might improve things through synnergy (i hate to use that word, but it's the only one i can think of).
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#37 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:36 PM

WORD TO THAT!

I am booking myself out in the end of January already. But I have to, to get a show up here. It's tough nuts!
you're a signature.

#38 glitterbot

glitterbot

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

i love phoenix,

anytown usa is going to have too many parking lots a super target etc. it's called america

some places will have more then / less then others

cites grow, cities die, cities go through rebirth etc

i feel fortunate to have places like stinkweeds, eastside, grand ave, casey moores, encanto park, historic neighborhoods, good weather (for the most part) to mention a few

i am thankfull for my girlfriend, my house, my job, the friends i have made here and the life i have established.

i love phoenix

this was a great post chad!
"Now get out. You're banned from this historical society. You and your children, and your children's children... for three months. "

Posted Image

#39 vitaminardi

vitaminardi

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

an open letter to my former neighbors:

first of all: don't feel special, because it sucks pretty much everywhere.

the most productive thing would be to put on your DILLIGAF hat

thats the "does it look like i give a fuck?" hat.

phoenix isn't a music destinatation, and there is no "dream scene" in other cities. its pretty cool that you can go see the arcade fire at modified, or the dude from spoon at stinkweeds. its rad. it sucks that all these shows are 30 bucks and usually sold out here in chicago.

the best thing about phoenix is that is a fantastic place to learn how to be in a band, and get your shit together. i mean how hard is it to get a show at modified? people won't throw things at you, they'll anonomously harass you on a message board and say you suck, but, whatever. they're totally jealous cause they don't have a band and can't put two chords together. if i took that shit seriously, i'd given up years ago.

The worst thing about phoenix is the culture of self-accusation...its "our" fault.

well, its not. poeple who move to phoenix hate whats good about cities: alternative lifestyles, large ethnic and immigrant populations, infrastructure like public transportation, and basically...other people in close proximity to each other. people in Phoenix are happy to go home and watch tv and not worry about sharing a building, garage, or street with other people.
the prevailing culture is not "rock'n'roll"

your band probably rocks and your friends shows are fun.. so its really small and you pretty much know everyone there THATS rock'n'roll

so what do you do?

don't give a fuck-- say : "i'm not in this town", my activities and cultural priorities are off the grid"

be stoked about what you have. enjoy the cheap rent, access to great record stores intimate shows and unbelievable opening slots for touring bands that would be impossible elsewhere.

and theres no snow! eh?

its ok to say phoenix sucks!!!

try it! i bet you'll feel better.
conquistador of the useless

#40 Danosaur

Danosaur

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

WORD TO THAT!

I am booking myself out in the end of January already. But I have to, to get a show up here. It's tough nuts!

see dee's nuts!

#41 jomama

jomama

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

an open letter to my former neighbors:

the most productive thing would be to put on your DILIGAF hat

thats the "does it look like i give a fuck?" hat.

phoenix isn't a music destinatation, and there is no "dream scene" in other cities. its pretty cool that you can go see the arcade fire at modified, or the dude from spoon at stinkweeds. its rad. it sucks that all these shows are 30 bucks and usually sold out here in chicago.

the best thing about phoenix is that is a fantastic place to learn how to be in a band, and get your shit together. i mean how hard is it to get a show at modified? people won't throw things at you, they'll anonomously harass you on a message board and say you suck, but, whatever. they're totally jealous cause they don't have a band and can't put two chords together. if i took that shit seriously, i'd given up years ago.

The worst thing about phoenix is the culture of self-accusation...its "our" fault.

well, its not. poeple who move to phoenix hate whats good about cities: alternative lifestyles, large ethnic and immigrant populations, infrastructure like public transportation, and basically...other people in close proximity to each other. people in Phoenix are happy to go home and watch tv and not worry about sharing a building, garage, or street with other people.
the prevailing culture is not "rock'n'roll"

your band probably rocks and your friends shows are fun.. so its really small and you pretty much know everyone there THATS rock'n'roll

so what do you do?

don't give a fuck-- say : "i'm not in this town", my activities and cultural priorities are off the grid"

be stoked about what you have. enjoy the cheap rent, access to great record stores intimate shows and unbelievable opening slots for touring bands that would be impossible elsewhere.

and theres no snow! eh?

its ok to say phoenix sucks!!!

try it! i bet you'll feel better.

Very well said Vitaminardi
"it's our Fault" needs to be taken out of everyones minds, I think this place is pretty fucking awesome.
bummer about the cayenne music festival but this isn't the only place that a big show has gotten cancelled
that's what irritates me about the newtimes and the collegetimes and every other publication.
"Phoenix is hot but will it ever be cool?" was on the cover of one their issues a few years back
Fuck you newtimes
Didn't collegetimes just come out with something saying something to the same effect?
I don't care about the people who say this place sucks they can leave and go to another city and find out how fucking lame it is over there.
But when the local publications are putting this in peoples heads that just irritates the fuck out of me.
And you know there will be a writeup about the cancellation of the cayenne music festival in the newtimes and why
Isaiah 16:11 (Farting is cool)
Ezekiel 4:12 (God wants you to eat poop)
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (Kill your son if he is disrespectful and a drunk)

Ah, the wonderful Peru

#42 Guest_aaronttp_*

Guest_aaronttp_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

minardi is right. we (those that accually care) are lucky. if we could bump it up to where it is "just barely worth it" for touring bands to stop here instead of "probably not worth it," i'd be happy. im sick of missing bands who skip us for tuscon, or worse, new mexico.

p.s. dont ever do business with dave jensen. if you are planning on it, talk to me first.

#43 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:30 AM

i have to agree here, when i was going to college in colorado i went up to casper wyoming with my friends band who was opening for jawbreaker. CASPER WYOMING! they played to a packed large warehouse. it was insane. CASPER WYOMING! what the heck is in casper wyoming, for one theres a lot of wind, secondly there is this alcohol called Diesel thats illegal in most states, and lastly the kids liked to huff freon. and thats about it, so when jawbreaker came to town everybody was there.

i then saw jawbreaker the next night in boulder and theres was about half the amount of people in attendance in a much larger auditorium.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#44 jhealy

jhealy

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

some stuff phoenix does right . . . .
chicago hamburger co. - indian school, i think
paisley violin - saturday/sunday breakfast soooo goood
modified-awesome parking lot, one of the best in the valley, oh and i think bands play here too
casey moore's - beautiful winter days
1480 am - all comedy radio
bikini lounge - sweet bartenders and good jukebox
paperheart - good people, good shows and art
nails 8000 - cheap manicures
safeway - groceries
indian steele park - summer movies in the grass

#45 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

indian steele park - summer movies in the grass

if only we could get through the movie and that second bottle of wine ;)

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users