119 replies to this topic

#16 innerear

innerear

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 01:00 PM

Sun city girls are still alive and kicking they just live in portland now. I saw them last year at the knitting factory in New York two nights of sold out shows. They put an album out about once a year.

#17 Guest_fissionary_*

Guest_fissionary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:48 AM

So, who's gonna go to this? It would be interesting to hear the angle of whoever's putting this thing together. Anyone remember AZMF? It had a similar thing going on, but almost completely from the viewpoint of the "powers that be" (promoters, bookers, corporate radio folk). The musicians were partially involved but it really came down to the "powers" looking for new blood to suck. There were some interesting opportunities, but in the end it didn't really do much to advance our "scene".
Now, I've been playing in this town since about 88' in various sonic vehicles and I've seen lots of bands, venues and organizations come and go.
It usually seems that, at any given time, there is a handful of musicians in the scene that actually give a fuck about good music. And, if they actually get their asses out of their rehearsal space and do something, they just might find the other like minded music folk. This usually happens in small degrees, either because the bands find a few that they like dealing with and sort of shut themselves off to anything new. Or, the bands themselves aren't together for too long. Whatever the reasons may be, I've seen the "scene" come together and fall apart many, many times.
However, this time, there does seem to be a larger group that are in it for the right reasons. Whatever the case may be, I'm always up to try it again. Who knows, maybe it'll work this time.

#18 Guest_handsbloodyhands_*

Guest_handsbloodyhands_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 04:07 PM

How about creating something that draws people other than fellow musicians to shows? That would save the scene.

#19 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 04:45 PM

Let's save the economy before anything else. If "the scene" is "dying," it's only because every other industry is, too. No one has money to spend on anything, let alone shows and records.

I'm glad that people are trying to get bands together to talk about this stuff. But, honestly, I don't think anything can be done. It's not a matter of a lack of bands, venues, etc., it's just that everybody's POOR now!

#20 Guest_handsbloodyhands_*

Guest_handsbloodyhands_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 05:12 PM

Thats what makes a perfect time for folks to really enjoy music. Poor folks need something to takes their minds off their problems. To escape , or vent or loose themselves.

#21 Guest_spamelajohnson_*

Guest_spamelajohnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:26 PM

If I don't have to work Tuesday night, I'll go.

#22 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:19 PM

Let's save the economy before anything else. If "the scene" is "dying," it's only because every other industry is, too. No one has money to spend on anything, let alone shows and records.

I'm glad that people are trying to get bands together to talk about this stuff. But, honestly, I don't think anything can be done. It's not a matter of a lack of bands, venues, etc., it's just that everybody's POOR now!

i disagree with this statement... can't cough up 5 bones for the show, get a better job. half the time i don't go see shows is because i am too lazy or have something else going on.

BUM

#23 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

Sun city girls are still alive and kicking they just live in portland now. I saw them last year at the knitting factory in New York two nights of sold out shows. They put an album out about once a year.

thanks for the update. i knew that they were still around and unfortunatley, didn't get to see their last show in phx. i remember when they used to play in the place that was gibson's... man, i can't even remember the name. i think it was chuy's.... but they were a great great performance art band back then... i have checked out their new stuff via cdconnection and it sounds great.

BUM

#24 Guest_C-SiK_*

Guest_C-SiK_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2003 - 12:41 PM

The Shizz needs to get to SXSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 04:49 PM

i disagree with this statement... can't cough up 5 bones for the show, get a better job. half the time i don't go see shows is because i am too lazy or have something else going on.

If there were better jobs to get, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I need that $5 for a roof over my head and food in my belly. That's the case with a lot of people in this economy, and I think that's why you're seeing less support for local shows (and a downturn in national acts CD sales, too).

#26 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 06:50 PM

i disagree with this statement...  can't cough up 5 bones for the show, get a better job.  half the time i don't go see shows is because i am too lazy or have something else going on. 

If there were better jobs to get, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I need that $5 for a roof over my head and food in my belly. That's the case with a lot of people in this economy, and I think that's why you're seeing less support for local shows (and a downturn in national acts CD sales, too).

i really don't think you can justify not coming to a show once in a while to the shitty ass economy.. i mean, c'mon??? i usually find that it is what you do inside the bar that becomes more of a financial burden but not getting in the door.

BUM

#27 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

i really don't think you can justify not coming to a show once in a while to the shitty ass economy.. i mean, c'mon??? i usually find that it is what you do inside the bar that becomes more of a financial burden but not getting in the door.

Seriously, I am a full time student working part time, out on my own... I'm not talking about "the bar," I don't even make it in to Modified Arts anymore...
Yeah, I can justify not coming to a show once in a while.
A roof over my head and food in my belly is more important than going to a show, even if I really want to go to the show and all the bands are great.
Congrats on not being poor, hope you enjoy all those shows.

#28 dharma_bum

dharma_bum

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 07:11 AM

i really don't think you can justify not coming to a show once in a while to the shitty ass economy..  i mean, c'mon???  i usually find that it is what you do inside the bar that becomes more of a financial burden but not getting in the door.

Seriously, I am a full time student working part time, out on my own... I'm not talking about "the bar," I don't even make it in to Modified Arts anymore...
Yeah, I can justify not coming to a show once in a while.
A roof over my head and food in my belly is more important than going to a show, even if I really want to go to the show and all the bands are great.
Congrats on not being poor, hope you enjoy all those shows.

welcome to the real world brodie. hey, if you can't make it to a show once in a while because you are a full-time student working part time and out on your own, I can sympathize.. i was in the same situation back in 93-97.. i am now a poor, full time worker, part time musician. It is all relative but i really do think that there is more than the economy holding people back from not going to shows. maybe not in your case, but overall.

BUM

#29 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 08:03 AM

I will have to agree with Bum on this one, although maybe in your situation Brodie it is strictly a fninancial situation that is preventing you from attending shows that you would love to go see,
the majority of people don't go to shows because their is no interest to go see shows. They have been told the scene sucks, everyone talks about how when they lived in austin or portland or
seattle the scene was so much better. When I hear that I hand someone a shizz comp. What we need is an outcry of people talking about how GOOD the scene is, because in all actuality it is.

I hated the scene a few years ago, but I found out that there probably has never been a lack of talent, it is a lack of me getting my ass out to go see check the talent out. There are tons of free
shows all the time, it's free to go to the emerald lounge, willow house has acoustic stuff all the time. Every sunday is comedy night and music at the rio salado beer company on mill ave.

There is a ton of cool stuff that is free, the hard part is getting people off their ass to go check it out.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#30 Guest_C-SiK_*

Guest_C-SiK_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:22 AM

There is a ton of cool stuff that is free, the hard part is getting people off their ass to go check it out.

Amen to that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users