#106 thevs

thevs

Shizz Full Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:02 AM

for my two cents.
I know that my pickup truck is the only vehicle in my band and is uncovered and after we play, we don't wanna leave all our shit laying around the club to get in everybodies way and i sure dont wanna leave it uncovered outside the club while i have drinks.. i hope nobody takes it personally if i gotta go cart the stuff home (as was the case recently when i missed After Any Accident who played right after us) but if they do..then o well, i am not carrying any grudges against anyone for ever missing us play and i take it for granted that everyone else grants me the same courtesy.. and we've played to many an empty room here in Phx.. Phoenix is what it is, I just accept it. It's kind of spread out and people have a lot of varied interests. I don't give a shit if noone comes out to see us, because I know when we play other cities, then thats not the case..
trent
v.sting

#107 vitaminardi

vitaminardi

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:42 AM

exactly. play out of town.
conquistador of the useless

#108 Guest_Fran_*

Guest_Fran_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:50 AM

I don't know guys I mean forty or so musicians can get themselves out to Ziggy's on a Tuesday night to talk about how f*&$ed up the music scene is out here and you're telling me that it's too much for bands to hang out for the duration of the show that they are already performing on?

Forget about going tit for tat about who stays or goes or for whatever their reasons may be but realize that by staying for the whole show you are promoting an attitude of "seeing local music is a cool thing to do". That's the subtle message that gets sent to non-band people. And if I'm reading other posts here correctly most everyone is saying that we need to work together to build a "real" music scene out here. If that's the case then you should give a shit about people coming out not only to your shows but to local shows in general. The fact that people don't come out is the reason why bars are going under. we're showing up at Ziggy's for meetings and music is an afterthought when people are planning what to do on a weekend. I believe our attitudes play a big role in this.

#109 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:53 AM

i think everyone on here realizes
that staying for the whole show is
the best thing to do - however, it's
not always possible. everyone would
agree with you.

we should be concentrating on other
things, this is the least of the worries
of getting a scene together.

#110 Guest_Fran_*

Guest_Fran_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:59 AM

What would your definition of a thriving music scene be?

#111 thevs

thevs

Shizz Full Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:47 PM

"I don't know guys I mean forty or so musicians can get themselves out to Ziggy's on a Tuesday night to talk about how f*&$ed up the music scene is out here and you're telling me that it's too much for bands to hang out for the duration of the show that they are already performing on?"

I say more power to these people who get together to discuss ideas and improve the scene.

and i agree that its good for bands to hang out and see the other bands.. its not always possible for whatever reason, but its always good to do.

i dont think my point was that its "too much for bands to hang out for the duration of the show that they are already performing on"

a lot of my point of my post was to say sorry to any if i've offended by leaving.. (AAA the other night in specific)

to answer your question of what a good scene is, visit Tucson, AZ.
Shark Pants, Swing Ding Amigos, Knockout Pills, Foolscap Fire, Hobart, Ultra Maroon, Resonars, Fusty Luggs (probably more i am forgetting offhand)

super cool people and great bands.. ever since the v.sting started Tucson kind of embraced us, we love them and they love us.. who knows why... Phx never did, we clear out rooms here.. it's not a problem, i just accept it.

but thats why i probably am not gonna be showing up to any of those meetings, i consider us a part of the Tucson scene.. we just kinda live here.. aha

again, just my two cents, and i only speak for myself.

#112 Guest_Fran_*

Guest_Fran_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 01:39 PM

I haven't spent very much time in Tucson so I'll take your word for it but the band comraderie you wrote about is encouraging. I see that in pockets out here. To use my groups example some of our friends are No Lily, Supathrive, August Spies, and Busticles. It's rare that you won't see at least one member (usually more) from each of those bands coming out at each others shows and it most cases bringing out their people. I'm sure that there other "pockets" like this around the valley. Finding a way to "unite the tribes" so to speak is something to consider and it sounds like has already been achieved in Tucson.

#113 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:05 PM

Just being an out of town band sometimes gives people a reason to check out a band.
People will often say, you should check this band out, they are from san fran, or portland
or wherever. It often gives a bit of mystique, I don't think that has anything to do with
connecting the pockets of bands in the valley. Phoenix is so spread out that having
pockets will not change, especially if all the styles are different. The venues that
shizz bands play at and go to are quite different then the "pocket" of bands that the
bands you are associated with fran such as supathrive and the others as well as the
azpunk bands, the huge underground metal scene, the drum and bass, and dj's. That does
not mean there is any tension between these groups, it's just that they are different
genres and as sad as this is to say alot of people don't like change or are willing to
listen to something different then the styles they currently listen to. I am not saying
ALL people are this way, but definetley the majority.

I think the hardest thing for me when I first moved out here was to find out where my band
fit in the valley. We never did good at the mason jar although the sound guy dug us. We were
asked not to play at the big fish pub cause we never had a draw there (but the sound guys really
dug us), Minder Binders was always cool to play (they didn't have any sound guys) but lugging
our equipment up those stairs was always a pain. The Hollywood Alley is where we met alot of
cool bands and started to meet people that were into the same music as us, I got to meet AAA,
the minibosses, Dana from the budget sinatra, and countless others there. I love that place and
will always call it home. Countless other bands have had to go through the same thing, Metal bands
have Metal Devestation to do shows and the mason jar, Drum N' Bass stuff is always going on at
the sky lounge, many bands have there homes at Chasers or the modified or wherever, and alot
of times it takes forever to find out where that "home" is. I think as far as kids who want to see shows
alot of times don't know where that little pocket that they are into is. This is where local media such
as the newtimes and the rep should step in. They have the ability more then anyone else to show
the masses where all the cool local stuff is happening. I don't think places like the newtimes do a
good enough job covering alot of the underground local stuff as much as they think they do.

damn, did I write enough?

Oh Yeah, HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE :)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#114 Guest_giantnine_*

Guest_giantnine_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:06 PM

GREAT point about the newtimes donald.... and the rep... and getout... and the state press.... and and and and

Happy New Year everyone!

#115 Guest_Fran_*

Guest_Fran_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:34 PM

Donald, your post about the press thing got me thinking. How do we as bands generate enough interest to get the press out more? My group only got press in the New Times through an organization I started (with others) called the Commission. In fact, the Shizz was written about quite a bit in that same article "Band Together" (July 17-23 New Times). But there has to be an angle for them, a story. Musicians getting together to Save The Scene is a story. We need to think of more creative ways to get them out to cover the bands themselves. Granted they do to some extent but not near the kind of coverage I think we're talking about.

#116 Guest_giantnine_*

Guest_giantnine_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:06 AM

a note about the press -

sometimes all it takes is some constant heckling. back when i worked for undici undici i got articles in the rep, newtimes, get out, state press and some indie mags about the shows, open mic, etc.

just need to have someone or a few someones with half a brain talking to the right people.

how do you get to talk to them?

be ballsy, give the editors a call. and make sure you talk to them.

a little bravery goes a long way.

ian

#117 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:39 PM

I was at the Forum meeting at alice cooperstown lastnight and they had someone there from
the newtimes. He was only in marketing but wants to get downtown phoenix to be where everything is happening. The guy is so out of it he didn't even know about first fridays untill about 6 months ago. He was telling everyone there that we need to email them and the rep and
let the media know what's going on because they don't. I was amazed that someone from the
newtimes was saying they don't know what's going on and they want people to inform them.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#118 Folofo

Folofo

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:31 PM

I know I've said this before...but more Shizz bands need to play first fridays. I don't know of any other opportunity like that where tons of people will see your band and can decide whether they like you or not...we've made it a point to play at every first friday this fall and it's really helped us out. The thing I like about it is that there is aplace somewhere on the artwalk for any type of music....The Downtown phoenix publication is a good place to start if you need #'s to all those places. happy new Year

#119 Guest_Josh@ziggys_*

Guest_Josh@ziggys_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2004 - 09:43 PM

Hey everybody, climbing out of the hell that is Fiesta Bowl and the New Year's Block Party. It's great business but cramming 68 hours of work into 4 days is not much fun. Glad to see we are still talking about things, I am so sorry I couldn't make the Forum meeting downtown this month, just too many Kansas State fans. I think the real point to be made about what the musicians can do is just be informed, about the scene, bands you play with, where to see certain types of music, because if musicians don't know their own industry, how will word spread to the masses? That is another reason why I think a Mag dedicated to the music is what the scene is lacking. Local music is never going to be covered the way it should be by the New Times, the Rep, Get Out, et al. A perfect example is Kimberly Wilson reviews albums for the Rep, she wrote a review of the newly released Big Vinny and The Cattle Thieves album "13th and Farmer" a Tempe Garage rock band that prides itself on it's gritty style. Well, the music savy Ms. Wilson, didn't recognize the fact that the album was meant to be raw and gritty and panned the album for sounding like it was recorded in a garage. Hmmm, now I would have taken her review a bit more seriously had she not later in the magazine sung the praises of "Big Bang Piano Bar" as a welcome boost to the local music scene. For those of you who don't know Big Bang is a dueling piano show, in which popular songs become sing-along fodder for those talently challenged. It is basically Muzak Live. Now guys, if this is the media's perception of "being a boost to the local music scene" then we are all in trouble. So grab a friend and instead of watching TV get out a see a show.
Here is my list of won't miss shows:
This Wednesday, Electrik Shock records live @ Ziggy's Smoky Mountain Skullbusters and Casket Life - Free
January 16th, Warsaw Poland Bros, @ Ziggy's, bring your women, chicks dig these shows
January 17th, Drunken Immortals, @ Ziggy's, if you haven't see then you should Valley Hip-Hop and Avenue for the Arts maybe opening? Their MC is very talented
February 5th, Throw Rag, Jackass, and the Half Empties @ Nita's Throw Rag at the Marquee with the Reverend Horton Heeat may have been one of the best shows I've seen.
Well, you knew the majority of the shows would be at my place...educate me now, what other shows are coming up? Hey Donald who is at the Shizz show this week I'm off Thursdays...Later gang - email me if you want shows or just to rap about stuff.

#120 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:03 AM

This thursday Feb 8th at the old brickhouse
RumTenor
Ruby Lee
Psycho SquareDance

Free admission
21 and over

Starts at 9:30 get there early or pay the consequences :)

That would be awesome if you could make it down Josh.

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users