93 replies to this topic

#1 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

I was reading the Glenn E. Friedman FUGAZI picture book this weekend and apparently most of the time they rented out halls to play shows. They brought there own PA, own sound crew, and essentially made it a "special" expierence from the normal rock club. And by special I mean it wasn't at a place that rock shows nornmally happened, but with all the necissitys of a rock show. So you weren't going to the same old place you have scene every other band in. I thought that was interesting. Totally time consuming and seems expenisve. Anyway...What is yall's favorite venue? And does this venue make you more excited to see said band. give several answers like, best intimate venue for small obscure paino duo or best place to see Van Halen.

[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#2 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

at this point in my life, the large majority of my favorite shows have been at houses. INSIDE! i hate outside house shows. the sound is always just horrendous. and a place i only got to go to like three times but LOVED was Tio Leos. all ages, but with beer and mexican food??? it was so rad. bummed it couldnt last. especially now, because i think i live like 2 miles from where it was. those both sort of have the same vibe you mentioned, where its a place that normally isnt for music, but hey LOOK BANDS ARE TEARIN UP THE BACK ROOM OF A MEXICAN RESTAURANT/SOMEONES LIVING ROOM!

for non-punk/HC shows my favorite spot was probably Modified. cant even quantify why really...

#3 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

I like house shows, any show outside sucks ass. House shows have intamacy and excitment. Like your not suppossed to be that close and personal with the music. Small bars should have that vibe, but sometimes that doesn't come across, most the time. But also if its a bigger band I want something with good/decent sound. If i can't get that, then might as well be a house show where shit is insane to overcome the crummy sound.

Would have liked to see that Mexican food place, recent places I have gone to that aren't venues first, for example, Art One Gallery, don't come across as well as the idea is. I need a decent PA and some kinda thought into the room. Its rad to have it amongst art and in that area, but something doesnt translate right. So I would prefer a house or a small bar equipted to handle it (Yucca or the Rouge for example )

..wait, Sweets and Beats sounds good for a non venue venue. And I generally enjoy everything I have scene there. Energy wise at least.

#4 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

I always like seeing shows at the Trunk Space - because it is a cool spot
and also Modified (RIP)

#5 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

House shows always smell like old tacos.

#6 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

SoundKontrol
The Tribe
The Slurp
House shows (YOBS, The Manor RIP)
Trunk Space
Sweets and beats
PaloVerde
Yucca.

#7 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

the trunkspace/sweets and beats/bikini row is cool. Wish more in that 'hood would come up to add to the area. And the Bikini is sometimes a deturent to attendence of people during bands sets, but at least they are there and the place doesn't seem like a ghost town. At least at 60% of the shows I have been to.

#8 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

yeah the yucca is cool! the stage is too high though

#9 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

yeah the yucca is cool! the stage is too high though

Agreed!

I hate all stages!

#10 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

i prefer no stage, but if there IS one, it misght as well be just about that height. that way you can jump off!

#11 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

i used to like mesa amphitheater a lot, but it seems like the shows keep getting quieter and quieter. noise restrictions?

i'd say now i most enjoy house shows or venues like sweets n beats because you can get right up with the bands. very communal. or trunk space when people ignore the stage and play on the floor.

hot licks in bisbee is also freaking awesome. that room has great acoustics and it's a cool environment. of course, you have to drive to bisbee. but it's cool. best fatigo show i've ever seen was there.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#12 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

although I have seen some cool shows at Yucca, I just can't seem to get into the place like alot of other people do. Maybe it's the stage, maybe it's because I am older and it's all college kids running around, I haven't figured it out yet.

I love smaller places to see shows, I guess it makes it feel more cozy, I would rather see a bunch of people packed into a small place then people randomly scattered around a much larger venue, you just don't get the cool vibe of what is going on that way.

Modified was the main reason I moved to central phoenix so I will always have a special place in my heart for it, I have seen some of the most memorable shows there. I have seen people on meathooks, I have broken up fights at hardcore shows, seen some of my favorite bands play in front of only a hand few of people on a friday night, barbecued burgers and dogs in the back and drank more beer than probably anywhere else in my years of seeing shows. This made modified my fav place to see a band.

The emerald lounge is another place that I loved and really connected with. It was a dirty little bar and I loved it. Saw some great shows, I think I loved the atmosphere more than anything else there. I met people snorting Riddlin under tables as well as plenty of other crazy shit. I could just sit in a corner and be left alone or jump into the crowd, I loved it.

Hollywood Alley, it's a bit bigger but I still love it, great food, great atmosphere, best show ever was Death of Marat, On Seduction, Minibosses. I have had multiple birthday's and just love the fuck out of this place. I hadn't been there in a year or two and everyone still remembers me there, it's like going back in time.

I have always loved house shows, as long as the cops don't show up. Once cops get involved it is just lame balls, it's like having sex and getting interrupted abruptly before finishing. Over the many years, I have always loved going to shows at the Argo units, there have been multiple units over the years where people have setup places to play and now there is a fucking biker bar in one of them, I hope there will always be little shows over there, cause they are always fun.

Maybe it's because I have always felt like an outsider to anything, so going to a smaller more intimate place makes me feel less like an outsider and a little more connected with everyone around. I don't know.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#13 Nitz

Nitz

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

The Green Room in Tempe was an awseome place. We were lucky enought to play there once or twice.

There was this bar at 17th ave and Camelback in the Fry's complex, I can't remember the name, but it was kinda dive-y, and the bands played on the floor. The owners were super cool, and they were trying hard to get the place going, so they would pretty much let anyone play there if they could bring their friends. It was super cool while it was open.

Oh, and +1 for TS when it wasn't Summer time.

And Paper Heart too.

#14 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Posted Image

old theater turned into a music venue, denver

Posted Image

same thing

Posted Image

same thing

Posted Image

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#15 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

small venue in denver used to be called the raven
many many fond old memories here

Posted Image

as far as here in arizona,

house shows
sweets and beats
trunkspace
the old long wongs on mill
the farmer house
modified

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users