#31 azwestdevil72

azwestdevil72

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

tavern

I do like the icehouse tavern to drink beer, the hockey rink is amazing! Not necessarily my favorite place to see a band play.

yeah I was talking about Icehouse Tavern, too, on 38th st and Thomas.

I can see how you see that for a large-medium show, but for a small show I like it.

(*On a side note, in case anyone might be interested, there is a show at Icehouse Tavern this Saturday night, 8/21/10. It's an older band named the Relics, and they play old school 70s punk and classic rock cover stuff. I know the guy who plays guitar, Vic, and he's a cool guy.)

#32 chalupacabra

chalupacabra

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

i don't care too much for the yucca myself. mainly cause who wants to drive to tempe from Phoenix?

Posted Image

"Don't even get me started"
Posted Image

CAGEMATCH

stomping on your fingers as you're clinging on to the abyss

#33 Guest_viewfinder_*

Guest_viewfinder_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

I second most of the houses listed (that I've been to).

I liked The Tribe the one time I went there albeit parking was kind of shitty.
I really liked The Manor house although it was small it. It made everyone get close and smash together. R.I.P.
Trevor house is/was pretty rad.
Only been to The Slurp once but it's awesome.
I'll have to say that Trunkspace is probably one of my fave places to see shows. I don't think any other place (that I know of) has fucking COFFEE!!!!! I don't drink, bars suck.

#34 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

I second most of the houses listed (that I've been to).

I liked The Tribe the one time I went there albeit parking was kind of shitty.
I really liked The Manor house although it was small it. It made everyone get close and smash together. R.I.P.
Trevor house is/was pretty rad.
Only been to The Slurp once but it's awesome.
I'll have to say that Trunkspace is probably one of my fave places to see shows. I don't think any other place (that I know of) has fucking COFFEE!!!!! I don't drink, bars suck.

The trunk space and sweets n beats are in a very unique spot where they can have all ages shows, and if you want to drink you just go next door to the bikini. I really enjoy that. I also love the fact that they serve coffee, not just any coffee, but Xanadu Coffee. Cause sometimes I just need some caffeine :)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#35 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

i don't care too much for the yucca myself. mainly cause who wants to drive to tempe from Phoenix? not me.

Energy drink shot out of my nose. Seriously this is what gets people jaded with this city, if 15 mins is TOO FAR to go support good bands then to be honest just say you dont really like music. And Tempe people bitch S. Scottsdale is too far, but in reality they just dont wanna leave the 3 bar Lost Triangle they have created for themselves.

#36 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

i don't care too much for the yucca myself. mainly cause who wants to drive to tempe from Phoenix? not me.

Energy drink shot out of my nose. Seriously this is what gets people jaded with this city, if 15 mins is TOO FAR to go support good bands then to be honest just say you dont really like music. And Tempe people bitch S. Scottsdale is too far, but in reality they just dont wanna leave the 3 bar Lost Triangle they have created for themselves.

I gotta be honest. You're right. I went to the Rogue for the first time last week from Tempe and I was pretty surprised at how close it was. I always heard "Scottsdale" and tuned out the rest.

To be fair to glitterbot tho, I cab it to pretty much every show (I love my alcohol,) and cab rates Phx to Tempe are about $30-35 ONE WAY, and sorry, but the light rail isn't a full on substitute for a fully integrated mass transit system, especially when it's still over 100 degrees after midnight.

#37 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Yes we have poor public transit and expensive private taxis, still not the end all be all excuse for "not liking a place". And honestly if you wanna get out to see a band, you should regardless of geographic locations...not everything can happen @ a hip underground Hockey / Candy / Coffee / blah blah insert current cool stereotype here DIY place in your back yard, nor should you expect it to. Getting to and from these events and the different people you meet create just as much of the night as the show itself.

#38 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

Getting to and from these events and the different people you meet create just as much of the night as the show itself.

Tyler King Pedi-Cab Co. coming soon? strap a rickshaw to that bike of yours and make some memories. lol
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#39 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

when i go to shows I have to drive, as there isn't a raging music scene in Sunnyslope, as there shouldn't be, carnecerias and bowling alleys is how we roll, and I have no problem as any where is 15-20 mintues on a damn freeway. But I am only talking PHX/Tempe/S.Scottsdale. Gilbert and east valley bullshit doesn't count. thus I am not neccasarilly hyped on the hot ass Underground and Mesa in general. I will go if I really want to see the band, but my interest is increased 10 fold if it is some where else.
But really, complaining about PHX to Tempe = step up your game (not trying to be a dick to anyone in particular). Or hop in my car, I will take you to shows. Jugheads was surprising close to Tempe, the rouge super close to tempe All the PHX stuff is close and really everything is in between S.Scottsdale/Tempe and PHX.. And comparitivly to how far we all have to drive for other stuff, they are mega close. We all need to get off out butts sometimes, not all the time, but enough to support shit we like every once in a while. Unless of course you love KFC and Blockbuster video. Then I think that shit is handled.

I also enjoy the clubhouse.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#40 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

I would use the holy hell out of a Tyler king pedi-cab/memorie maker.

#41 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

not to really pile on, but a) the rogue is literally across the street from tempe city limits and B ) driving distance is really only a factor for bands you dont care about. if its a band i want to see, im going. period. if its one of those "eh, its friday, nothing goin on might go check out (insert random band) i guess" then yeah, proximity does matter to me.

BUT geographic convenience has no bearing on how much i like or dislike the venue itself. thats ridiculous.

#42 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

*shrug*

just trying to offer some perspective. but whatever, i'll step it up or gtfo. or whatever.

#43 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

and i think all of us drink quite a bit too...personally, i have a group of about 3 of us that trade off driving. if it was down to cabs i would never go out! i also live close to light rail, but that doesnt really hit THAT close to any venues

#44 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

I agree with Joe completly.
From most of the response it seems people like places that have a sense of "community", seems that trumps venue quality or location.
But in actual practice, alot of really cool stuff seems very under attended. Across all boards: punk, comedy, donkey shows., break dancing, adult contemporary metal, etc.
I blame the un-built Mosque near ground zero.
And the sun for destroying any motivation from our lives.

#45 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

And the sun for destroying any motivation from our lives.

Well then there is this truth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users