Photo

what bands would you like to see play in PHX?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,912 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

damn...no offense to jeremiah or anyone else, but the upcoming list of Stateside shows reads like a list of bands that are cooler than cool*

*as decided by a bunch of snooty douchebags in mid level entertainment magazine/newspaper jobs

#47 mancopter

mancopter

OCEAN MAN

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

damn...no offense to jeremiah or anyone else, but the upcoming list of Stateside shows reads like a list of bands that are cooler than cool*

*as decided by a bunch of snooty douchebags in mid level entertainment magazine/newspaper jobs

Looks fine to me. I think you're getting old.

Also: Shit yes Autolux!
Followed by: Shit yes Dungen!

#48 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

This is probably a useles post, and a useless question following my previous usless post simply trying to show that there's some pretty good shows coming to AZ by a promoter(Charlie) that makes little to nothing off of most of these shows.

BUT what constitutes a "cooler than cool" show?

#49 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

damn that show this friday at the marquee looks badass.
im going.

VIVA Arizona

Posted Image

#50 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,912 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

well yeah i am, but i still go see new bands all the time. just not ones that are full of the indie rock bands that VICE/PITCHFORK readers go to. cooler than cool, like bands that show up in Entertainment Weekly in their 'up and coming' section even though theyve been around for years. Merge records hype bands. ironic mustache bands. bands who license songs to WB shows. that kinda stuff.

not blaming/talking shit on the bands, or the promoters (as i know some of those bands you guys have been booking for years before they broke)for the crowds they draw. just sayin it was like one after another of the kind of bands that are exemplary of a very specific subsect of the 'buzz band' media push.

ADDENDUM im sure i will still be vilified somehow though. and i also HIGHLY doubt charlie makes 'little to nothing'. its a business. unless he has some alternate income stream, that seems very unlikely.

#51 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

edit: ... derr wrong quote ..

I for sure am (out of it & getting old). I looked at that site & thought *ack I have no idea who these bands are*.

But I was glad to see Caribou and Built to Spill coming up. I'd go see Of Montreal if they were playing Phoenix.

#52 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

This is probably a useles post, and a useless question following my previous usless post simply trying to show that there's some pretty good shows coming to AZ by a promoter(Charlie) that makes little to nothing off of most of these shows.

BUT what constitutes a "cooler than cool" show?

I have no idea :(
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#53 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

I for sure am (out of it & getting old). I looked at that site & thought *ack I have no idea who these bands are*.

But I was glad to see Caribou and Built to Spill coming up. I'd go see Of Montreal if they were playing Phoenix.

last time of montreal were in town i missed their show because about 2 hours before the show i went running and sprained my ankle real bad when i tripped on a curb. so i sat home while my roommate went and had fun :angry:

i would love for them to come back!

#54 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

well yeah i am, but i still go see new bands all the time. just not ones that are full of the indie rock bands that VICE/PITCHFORK readers go to. cooler than cool, like bands that show up in Entertainment Weekly in their 'up and coming' section even though theyve been around for years. Merge records hype bands. ironic mustache bands. bands who license songs to WB shows. that kinda stuff.

not blaming/talking shit on the bands, or the promoters (as i know some of those bands you guys have been booking for years before they broke)for the crowds they draw. just sayin it was like one after another of the kind of bands that are exemplary of a very specific subsect of the 'buzz band' media push.

ADDENDUM im sure i will still be vilified somehow though. and i also HIGHLY doubt charlie makes 'little to nothing'. its a business. unless he has some alternate income stream, that seems very unlikely.

I messed up
my post. It's some where in the reply. I'm tryin to do this from an iPhone and I don't quite have the hang of it.

I personally, would not mind one bit if I made a record and it become the
buzzy buzz bees knees of the media world, maybe even making a little money. That's just me though, I have certain ideals about music and being a good musician but not about the whole DIY thing. I seperate alot of that. Try not to let any side of this argument affect how the musice I make sounds. I like pop, I like noise I like plenty of things, at the end of the day that's all that matters to me. And if some one wants to take it and hail as the next best thing since a faux hawk. I'm fine. Little to do with me as a artist. Wouldn't see it as my fault. I would like to be able to pay my rent on time.

As far as Charlie goes, I thought the same
bit until I had the pleasure of sitting down with him and he breaking down every step and detail of being the promoter of a show. I'm sorry but he has no reason to lie and I just don't think he would lie about it. He's doing it mostly because he loves music and loves great performances. He eats alot of money on these shows. It sucks that he gets
so much shit for doing such an amazing thing for AZ.
Just saying.

#55 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

I can't fix it on this phone. Can some one help? Copy and paste.

My reply is in the middle of that reply. I started with 'i personally' and ended it with 'just saying'

please?

#56 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • 10,912 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

as i tried to specify, i am in no way "giving him shit". he does what he enjoys, and booking and promoting is hard work. i was just stating what the list of upcoming show looks like. i also state clearly i dont blame the band/promoter for what kind of crowd they draw. but the fact of the matter is that list is one hype band after another. period. i also contend that unless he has alternate revenue, there is no way he makes 'little to nothing'. now, this may be a matter of financial opinion of what 'little to nothing' means. but if he is making a living at it A) i see nothing wrong with that and B ) a living is a lot more than 'little to nothing'.

its clear ive offended or bothered you, but im not really seeing where i am stating anything thats actually offensive. i think you just dont like what i have to say. and thats fine too. not everyone agrees. and ive probably never been in attendance at the same show as you. who cares?

#57 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

last time of montreal were in town i missed their show because about 2 hours before the show i went running and sprained my ankle real bad when i tripped on a curb. so i sat home while my roommate went and had fun :angry:

It's probably something cool like:

The guy you think is hottest in the band had a girlfriend last time around,
so it would've been impossible for the two of you to meet, as love at first
sight trumps everything else and the circumstances behind that type of
breakup would not have been good for the space time continuum band.
Thus the universe fuckin tripped you so you couldn't go. Since then, the
space time continuum having been repaired by agents from the future
hott guy is broken up with his lover and is, unbeknownst, waiting to meet
you and fall in love.

Of Montreal just needs to play in Phoenix again.

Waiting...........

#58 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,220 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

nite jewel

i'm still bummed they canceled their show back in december.

once i get some cash flow going again i fully intend on going to LA to check out nite jewel and dam funk (hopefully on the same bill).

BOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOING
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#59 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

It's probably something cool like:

The guy you think is hottest in the band had a girlfriend last time around,
so it would've been impossible for the two of you to meet, as love at first
sight trumps everything else and the circumstances behind that type of
breakup would not have been good for the space time continuum band.
Thus the universe fuckin tripped you so you couldn't go. Since then, the
space time continuum having been repaired by agents from the future
hott guy is broken up with his lover and is, unbeknownst, waiting to meet
you and fall in love.

Of Montreal just needs to play in Phoenix again.

Waiting...........

I thought I read somewhere Kevin Barnes went through a divorce, so there ya go.

Saw them about 5 years ago at rhythm room, much good.

#60 rudolpho of pensacola

rudolpho of pensacola

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

I care. And I guess I'm of the opinion that if you don't care, there really is no reason to post some thing with a negative connotation towards the shows that stateside is trying to promote. That's all.

Have a good day shizzsters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users