46 replies to this topic

#16 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

i would have been in Safehouse then. I think this was right before it expanded. Ryan Stamen worked at Eastside for years...i remember their set outside, too. Super garagey.
I still don't have a signature.

#17 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

where else can i get a 7" by the germs or like 15 jazz records each for a few bucks?

the internet.

Hence the reason our communities lose such institutions.

#18 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

where else can i get a 7" by the germs or like 15 jazz records each for a few bucks?

the internet.

Hence the reason our communities lose such institutions.

which makes me insane...the internet just CANNOT replace this. you may be able to order records but it is not even close to the same. and fuck the germs, where am i going to get NEW punk records? no other store gets the stuff they get.

#19 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hell if every time someone who "supports music" dragged their happy ass off a barstool at Casey Moores or when hunting down a new pair of "skinny jeans" @ Buffallo stuck their heads in and BOUGHT A RECORD instead of downloading it we may not be having this conversation.

#20 Innk

Innk

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

It was a good store indeed... I got a couple of CDs there... but I must say this is one of my favorite stories:
I went to the store the day before Good Riddance's last AZ show ever.. and they had their new album for sale, and I thought it came out the day AFTER the show.. but whatever... the next day at the show I saw Russ hanging out... I pulled out the CD booklet and a sharpie and said "would you sign this for me?" The look on his face was like "What the fuck? - But he said- Where did you get this? It comes out tomorrow?"

Kinda funny.. to me.. I know I'm such groupie.. but thanks to Eastside Records I have an autographed GR Booklet, and they are my favorite punk band ever... so fuck yeah! and aawwww...
Exercise your demons when you dream...

#21 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hell if every time someone who "supports music" dragged their happy ass off a barstool at Casey Moores or when hunting down a new pair of "skinny jeans" @ Buffallo stuck their heads in and BOUGHT A RECORD instead of downloading it we may not be having this conversation.

i'd like to apologize for not doing my part to keep every small business afloat. also, i'll remove "supports music" from my list of accomplishments. i'm not giving back my skinny jeans, though.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#22 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

I don't think you can point the blame only on the internet. Lots of stores increase their business through the internet. I know Revolver does a lot of internet business.

#23 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

I feel people shop too much via the internet, when in reality it should be a last case option. Especially with the current Local First AZ push (which is common nationwide) you should have no need to shop online with all of the avenues we have here.

#24 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I am sad to hear any local small business go under; a record store at that? A travesty.

I do, however, do not really have any great experiences with Eastside as a record store.

(the exception being the Godheadsilo show I saw there in like 96 or 97).

I was always given the cold shoulder and some kind of evil eye like "we don't serve your kind here".

I am not a droid and this is not Tattooine.

It made me very reluctant to endorse a place that seemingly didn't want my business.

Sad really. Though a couple times I went when a guy I knew was working there it was less volatile and even semi pleasant.

I had never really gotten over the treatment I'd recieved there and chose instead to spend my hard earned dough at like Zia or something.

#25 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

I feel people shop too much via the internet, when in reality it should be a last case option. Especially with the current Local First AZ push (which is common nationwide) you should have no need to shop online with all of the avenues we have here.

maybe for shoes or ipods or whatever, yeah, the internet should be your last resort. you could go literally 2 miles in any direction and have access to a bunch of local stores selling commodities. if you're looking for something obscure, like an out of print germs 7", then go find it online. but either way, the internet is there. you can cross your fingers and hope people won't use it so your favorite store stays in business, but that's not going to happen. businesses have to adapt. that's why you don't see a bunch of stores selling lantern oil or replacement parts for your model T ford.

i don't know why i'm responding. i don't even have a fucking record player.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#26 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

I am sad to hear any local small business go under; a record store at that? A travesty.

I do, however, do not really have any great experiences with Eastside as a record store.

(the exception being the Godheadsilo show I saw there in like 96 or 97).

I was always given the cold shoulder and some kind of evil eye like "we don't serve your kind here".

I am not a droid and this is not Tattooine.

It made me very reluctant to endorse a place that seemingly didn't want my business.

Sad really. Though a couple times I went when a guy I knew was working there it was less volatile and even semi pleasant.

I had never really gotten over the treatment I'd recieved there and chose instead to spend my hard earned dough at like Zia or something.

I think that was their "thing" though, kinda like on Hi Fidelity. I always feel the same way btw when I shop there; though if i start asking questions they are pretty cool about answering.

I never mentioned liking 80s era Stevie Wonder, so who knows what could have happened - an indie sacrifice perhaps.

#27 HNIC

HNIC

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Oh well...

#28 MikeyWretch

MikeyWretch

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Also such a great place to buy local bands music and T-shirts.

FUCK!

#29 joe.distort

joe.distort

QUARTERBACK SCIENTIST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

i don't know why i'm responding. i don't even have a fucking record player.

yeah. i realized after telling some people about this and getting discouraged when they didnt care that, oh wait, none of them have bought anything at eastside in years anyway.

#30 bob

bob

Rauble Rauble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

i was almost going to say i was at that godhead silo show. but i was confused and i meant hose.got.cable. oh well.

i've always loved/hated how typically the employees at eastside act. matt groening didn't pull the comic book store guy out of nowhere. not that i haven't benefited from good conversation and knowledge gained, but i've definitely gotten the evil eye coming in as well as the 'you're really buying this?' look while ringing up. as well as the general, 'i couldn't care less if you buy anything, take a nap in the store, or steal me blind, just don't bother me' vibe. i always liked that one.

i remember my first trip to eastside, and i imagine i always will. to me, eastside is tempe. what reason will i have to go to tempe when eastside is gone?

the internet's cool, but there's a lot more good record stores in phoenix than i can remember ever being and i'm not even talking about zia's. even though zia's is kind of okay too. i haven't been to revolver yet, but they seem to be doing shows all the time and taking a pretty enthusiastic approach to supporting the community that supports them.

i don't think it's unfair to say that the wind in eastside's sails (sales) has been diminishing for years. i never thought they'd go (totally) out of business, and it was surprising to hear, but really, all in all, not all that surprising, which is maybe the saddest part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users