464 replies to this topic

#181 Juggs69

Juggs69

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

I never did the whole online dating thing so I truly feel like I hit the OkC jackpot. We've been together since May and discovered we are almost exactly alike. It took him a week of convincing before I agreed to meet in person b/c I was so skeptical and nervous--my parents raised me to believe that I was either going to a) get raped or B) get murdered at some point during my lifetime. I got a TON of crazy ass responses and stalkers (basically, the stereotypical online dating experience) so initially I couldn't believe he was perfectly normal. Fast forward to now and we're both very much in love and happy. :rolleyes: Hopefully, by this summer we'll officially be living together.

I would never recommend online dating to anyone before I actually made a profile myself. Even though it's 2010, people still stigmatize online dating and admittedly, I occasionally find myself embarrassed to tell people how we met. I wish I could explain to some of my friends and parents that I was limiting myself to all the losers I already knew and that even though there are a lot of seemingly creepy men on dating websites, there are no more than you would find in real life.

I do have one pointer now but I'm sure I'll think of a ton later:

Don't fill out your profile excessively--to me that came across as desperate--keep it short, simple and possibly humorous (we love that shit).

Hah I forgot you guys met there. Having met you both, and considering how awesome you both are and how well you two get along, that gives me some hope.

Everybody's busy -- answer enough questions and write a profile that's really about you, and you'll find someone who looks at it the same way.

Agreed, but I think I've done that already and haven't had much luck. Maybe part of the problem is that, at 23, not many people my age are looking for a serious relationship. The fact that I look way younger than I am probably doesn't help either. Lately I've been thinking that maybe I should look outside my area...

Anyway this is my profile. Not terribly funny or witty, but it is honest and does say quite a bit about me I think. Comments / sarcasm / mockery welcome.

http://okcupid.com/p.../feelingmelodic

Thanks--you're pretty awesome too and you should totally post the link to the video of you guys playing in Phx on your profile. It is bad-ass!

#182 notacountry

notacountry

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Here's me, pick on me or whatever

FYI, that's me who just added you as a fave. Normally I don't tell people, but since we "know" each other . . .

That's awesome. And we do know eachother, it's the internet, it's pretty much real life with less touching.

So, uh, I'm pretty much being asked for sex or getting half assed responses so far.
Sweeeeeet.

#183 The Other 49

The Other 49

Shizz Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

FYI, that's me who just added you as a fave. Normally I don't tell people, but since we "know" each other . . .

That's awesome. And we do know eachother, it's the internet, it's pretty much real life with less touching.

So, uh, I'm pretty much being asked for sex or getting half assed responses so far.
Sweeeeeet.

It inevitably happens, but I always find it funny when the responses are half assed. Kinda makes me wonder why they are even on there. If it's because they aren't interested, then just say that or don't respond.

Also, pretty much not putting anything in your profile and just saying "ask if you want to know about me because I feel weird writing this" is stupid. No, I don't want to know about you randomly. If I am going to message you, it's because you said something interesting about yourself. Not because you posted some picture or multiple pictures and just said fuck it let someone else do the work.

Furthermore, don't bend over and take a picture of yourself so your cleavage is very purposefully featured and then say you just want to find a nice guy. Respect yourself first and you will find one.

Finally, don't tell me you hate drama and you don't play games. Every girl I have ever met who said that is a drama magnet. Plus it makes you sound like you are still in high school.

Maybe we should make a list of rules for profiles. Or maybe I should. Apparently it has pissed me off.

:angry:

:) :) :)

#184 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Sweeeeeet.

It inevitably happens, but I always find it funny when the responses are half assed. Kinda makes me wonder why they are even on there. If it's because they aren't interested, then just say that or don't respond.

Also, pretty much not putting anything in your profile and just saying "ask if you want to know about me because I feel weird writing this" is stupid. No, I don't want to know about you randomly. If I am going to message you, it's because you said something interesting about yourself. Not because you posted some picture or multiple pictures and just said fuck it let someone else do the work.

Furthermore, don't bend over and take a picture of yourself so your cleavage is very purposefully featured and then say you just want to find a nice guy. Respect yourself first and you will find one.

Finally, don't tell me you hate drama and you don't play games. Every girl I have ever met who said that is a drama magnet. Plus it makes you sound like you are still in high school.

Maybe we should make a list of rules for profiles. Or maybe I should. Apparently it has pissed me off.

:angry:

:) :) :)

I think you did a fine job listing the cardinal sins of an online dating profile. My other favorite: "I love music, I listen to everything." No, you don't. You listen to the top 40 station, the country station, the alternative station, the classic rock station and do not realize anything else is out there.

#185 notacountry

notacountry

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Most men need to read those rules.
And I do like to play games, I mean whats wrong with Scrabble? People can be so mean sometimes...

#186 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

Tender Lad, you should change your profile to state that you love drama and games.

Ya know, acting and video games.

#187 Tender Lad

Tender Lad

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Tender Lad, you should change your profile to state that you love drama and games.

Ya know, acting and video games.

I shall re-instate my profile with these changes. Watch out ladies!

#188 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

I was getting pretty into one girl i've been talking to recently, then she just revealed she is divorced and has two kids. AWESOME.

#189 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Could be worse. She could be married, and have 18 kids. And her own reality show.

#190 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

True, it could always be worse.

#191 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

So I've chatted with a few girls on there but overall, nothing really interesting so far. I think I'm being too picky...or maybe the girls I'd be interested in are all taken :rolleyes:

Pro tips: Use the quickmatch feature. I've found that the women who come up there are far more interesting than the ones displayed as my matches. Also, the "The Two of Us" section is great...if you have any doubts about whether to contact someone, check that for deal breakers.

#192 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

So I've chatted with a few girls on there but overall, nothing really interesting so far. I think I'm being too picky...or maybe the girls I'd be interested in are all taken :rolleyes:

Pro tips: Use the quickmatch feature. I've found that the women who come up there are far more interesting than the ones displayed as my matches. Also, the "The Two of Us" section is great...if you have any doubts about whether to contact someone, check that for deal breakers.

It also helps to just do advanced searches, because of most of the my matches are not worth looking at.

#193 Ranger-X

Ranger-X

Shizz Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, I try to get as specific as possible with the searches. Though, not to be shallow, but it's too bad you can't search by body type...I'm a pretty skinny guy, I've dated girls before that could probably crush me and it's just not my thing :lol:

I had been chatting / texting with this seemingly awesome girl over the last couple days, who was also seemingly totally into me. Then apparently last night she got stood up by another guy and won't talk to me now. I don't know, I guess I'll wait and see how it goes, but I almost feel like it's not worth pursuing...I'm a very laid back kind of guy and don't really get along with people who can't let things go / people who are quick to anger. Plus I found out she just moved here a couple months ago to get away from her ex-boyfriend. Ewww that's more rebound than shaq's nuts can hang with. Curse my bad luck...but in my experience these are just the types of people that are on here. Back to searching for now.

#194 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

think of it as shopping!! Back to window shopping :P

#195 shaunsavage

shaunsavage

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

I don't recall window shopping being this frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users