341 replies to this topic

#226 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

HB 2281 makes me even more angry than SB 1070. She is making it against policy to learn information on a culture? Knowledge is against policy? State approved curriculum is SO limited and biased. There is SO much information that is never addressed, especially when you get into cultural history. Any student should be given the choice to take such a class as described in that article. I know I would.

I am so so so so much more angrier

I don't think I could get anymore upset than I already am, nothing surprises me with brewer now
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#227 Rial

Rial

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

I hear the republicans picked Tampa over Phoenix for the national convention, they don't even want anything to do with this BS. Plus when they trout out there "ethnic" candidate, it better be somewhere where he doesn't have to show papers if a cop asks and a secratary of state that wants a photocopy of his/her birth certificate.
[url="http://saidgun.bandcamp.com/"]SAID GUN[/url]

#228 thebiggameover

thebiggameover

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

when do we get to vote everybody out? is it this year or next?

thebiggameover.png

my twitter

mohawk babies make me insane

#229 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

I hear the republicans picked Tampa over Phoenix for the national convention, they don't even want anything to do with this BS. Plus when they trout out there "ethnic" candidate, it better be somewhere where he doesn't have to show papers if a cop asks and a secratary of state that wants a photocopy of his/her birth certificate.

not to give republicans too much credit, but I'd bet this had more to do with 'who really wants to go to PHX in August?' than a crazy law that they generally support.

#230 Tender Lad

Tender Lad

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

The company I work for is minority owned and at least half of my co-workers are latino. It's interesting watching some of the conservative white folk's reactions to this issue since they can't talk shit like I'm sure they want to.

One of the guys told a story about how his sister was in the process of getting her citizenship a few years back. She was met at the office where she was supposed to take the oath by immigration and immediately deported. She was doing everything properely and kicked out anyway, the very day she was to become an american. That's some fucked up bullshit.

Anyone who says this is not bigotry towards brown people is full of shit. I am still a Canadian citizen with no official ID card that states that I am allowed to be here. No green card, no work visa. I'm not affraid of being deported though, I'm white.

#231 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

something cool in this shitty world

The Anti-Arizona
As other states get tough on immigration enforcement, D.C. bucks the trend.
by Renee Feltz and Stokely Baksh | May 4, 2010

Two weeks ago, Arizona passed the nation's strictest immigration law, SB 1070, which requires local police to demand proof of citizenship if they suspect a person is undocumented. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Assistant Secretary John Morton condemned the measure, saying it would get in the way of federal programs designed to target, "identify, and remove criminal aliens."

One of these programs, Secure Communities, is already in place in seven Arizona counties and more than 150 other jurisdictions nationwide. It operates by enlisting states to run arrest data from local jails against a federal database of immigration records. ICE agents then use the system to deport people living in the country illegally and legal residents with criminal convictions.

The program has been expanding -- in just the past year, 20 states have signed on -- but on Tuesday it hit a roadblock in the nation's capital. D.C. City Council members voted unanimously to introduce a bill that would make the District the first jurisdiction in the country to ban Secure Communities.

"This is like something out of George Orwell. This is really 'insecure communities,'" argues District Council member Jim Graham, who represents an area that is home to many of the District's immigrants. Several Council members said the program could lead to more laws like the one passed in Arizona, which they described as "horrific."

Washington, D.C., has a long history of resisting collaboration with federal immigration officials. A 1984 memorandum from Mayor Marion Barry Jr. forbids city agencies, officers, and employees from asking about citizenship or residency. So when the District's police chief quietly signed on to the program last November without consulting the City Council, Graham was outraged. "This is the type of thing that there are so many questions about, so many suspicions about, that it's best that we just not do it," he said during a committee meeting in March.

One of the main objections to the program is that it targets undocumented immigrants charged with minor offenses -- such as disorderly conduct -- and longtime legal residents with criminal records who have become productive members of society. ICE claims the program focuses on dangerous felons, but its own data suggest otherwise. Fewer than 15 percent of the immigrants it identified last year were "level one" offenders. Most were arrested and deported for smaller crimes, like minor traffic violations.

By opening the door to police-ICE collaboration, the program has also affected how local communities interact with local law enforcement. Critics point out that in cities that have adopted the program, fewer immigrants report crimes or are willing to help with other investigations. The prospect of similar problems in D.C. is especially galling for Ron Hampton, executive director of the National Black Police Association. He spent 25 years on the District's police force and helped develop its community-policing strategy as a way to prevent crime. "One of the top foundations of community policing is developing trust," he says. "Now this program stands to reverse all of that."

Opponents of the program also point out that the program shares data of people charged with crimes even if they have not been convicted. In North Carolina, one of the first states to adopt the program, civil-liberties advocates say immigrants never get their day in court. "We have a drawer full of cases of people who were deported before their criminal case ever came up," says Marty Rosenbluth, a staff attorney with the Southern Coalition for Social Justice based in Durham.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier insists she is listening to her critics and learning from problems that have surfaced in other states. She promised Council members she would not implement the program until she had a plan that addressed some of their concerns, such as the need to protect victims of domestic violence who fear arrest if they report abuse. Still, she stands by her push to eventually participate in the program. "If there's something I can do to reduce violent crime in the city, I certainly want to look into that," she told the Council.

The Council wants no part of it. The bill to "prohibit the District of Columbia to transmit arrest data" to ICE still has to work its way through the committee process and then back to the Council. Ultimately, it will be reviewed by Congress, and ICE has said there is no way to opt out of the program except to stop fingerprinting people, so it is unclear how successful a ban on it will be. But it had unanimous backing from the Council, and a diverse cross section of the city's immigrant, faith, and civil-liberties groups have embraced the measure.

Buoyed by backlash against the Arizona law, they say the bill signals the beginning of a national push against increased collaboration between police and immigration officials. "What we're doing in D.C. is setting a precedent," says Sarahi Uribe, a D.C.-based organizer with the National Day Laborer Organizing Network and coordinator of UncoverTheTruth.org, a national campaign against Secure Communities. The campaign's motto is "No More Arizonas."

#232 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

I am still a Canadian citizen with no official ID card that states that I am allowed to be here. No green card, no work visa. I'm not affraid of being deported though, I'm white.

"It's ok if you're Canadian - a lot of people are"

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#233 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

now this is relevant

#234 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

now this is relevant

wow
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#235 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Finished my song for the Newtimes 1070 protest song compilation thingy.

Submitted it and waiting to hear back.

It's called "Hey Liberty Bell" and it's at 107.0 beats per minute in tempo.

Pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

#236 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Finished my song for the Newtimes 1070 protest song compilation thingy.

Submitted it and waiting to hear back.

It's called "Hey Liberty Bell" and it's at 107.0 beats per minute in tempo.

Pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

i'd imagine we can get this up on the shizz records page if you want.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#237 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've been debating whether to jump into this flame war over the immigration law that's going on over at a friend's facebook page when someone in favor of the law informed everybody reading that "Here in AZ, we have HUGE Asian gang problems, threats from middle eastern organizations, on top of the Hispanic problems."

I hadn't heard that...

I also was fortunate enough to attend a lecture this little ol' (and otherwise seemingly nice) lady was giving at Jiffy Lube the other day about the same topic.

That "70% in support" figure is seeming more and more believable the more I hear people talk about this, and it all just really, really saddens me, and in ways I can't adequately describe. We're supposed to be better than this...

:(

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#238 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

the poolboy magazine ceo's are currently publically debating this as well.

all because of my Mexi-love post

#239 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

That "70% in support" figure is seeming more and more believable the more I hear people talk about this..

unfortunately they're just more vocal with their hate than we are with our understanding.
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#240 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

That "70% in support" figure is seeming more and more believable the more I hear people talk about this..

unfortunately they're just more vocal with their hate than we are with our understanding.

well put

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users