noam chomsky on sb1070

#258 Wizwars

Wizwars

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

When I was coming back home via Greyhound yesterday, after stopping off at Blythe, the border patrol boarded our bus to verify the citizenship of everyone on board. At first I thought that it was because we had just entered the CA border, but then I remembered the last time I took a bus to Phoenix (back in January), the same thing happened at San Bernardino, Indio and Blythe. Three stops in a row, border patrol came on and asked about everyone's citizenship. Checking the white people was simple enough, usually just a simple "American citizens, right?". Once they got the answer they were looking for, they moved on. With the Mexicans, there was a bit more questioning and I saw a number of people showing them their green cards, identification and (in some instances) passports.

I assume this happens somewhat regularly on Greyhound, considering that I've experienced it on two of the six bus trips I've made since December. Considering the amount of public backlash there has been about the bill in Arizona, it's interesting to me that this kind of shit happening in California seems to completely slip under the radar. It seems to me that people minding their own business (on what is probably the most inconvenient and uncomfortable way to travel) having to provide identification three times within three hours is pretty fucked up, maybe even more so than a law which if used properly would only target those who are already breaking the law or suspicious to the police (though anyone who doesn't think racial profiling would come from this is a fucking idiot).
my game boy music: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com /

#259 Tony

Tony

Tiger's Milk

• Shizzadmin
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

When I was coming back home via Greyhound yesterday, after stopping off at Blythe, the border patrol boarded our bus to verify the citizenship of everyone on board. At first I thought that it was because we had just entered the CA border, but then I remembered the last time I took a bus to Phoenix (back in January), the same thing happened at San Bernardino, Indio and Blythe. Three stops in a row, border patrol came on and asked about everyone's citizenship. Checking the white people was simple enough, usually just a simple "American citizens, right?". Once they got the answer they were looking for, they moved on. With the Mexicans, there was a bit more questioning and I saw a number of people showing them their green cards, identification and (in some instances) passports.

I assume this happens somewhat regularly on Greyhound, considering that I've experienced it on two of the six bus trips I've made since December. Considering the amount of public backlash there has been about the bill in Arizona, it's interesting to me that this kind of shit happening in California seems to completely slip under the radar. It seems to me that people minding their own business (on what is probably the most inconvenient and uncomfortable way to travel) having to provide identification three times within three hours is pretty fucked up, maybe even more so than a law which if used properly would only target those who are already breaking the law or suspicious to the police (though anyone who doesn't think racial profiling would come from this is a fucking idiot).

i don't think that sort of thing gets mentioned precisely because it's border patrol. that's a federal agency, and their sole purpose is immigration enforcement. they may or may not use tactics that we approve of (racial profiling) but at the same time that's the ONLY thing they're trained/funded/authorized to do (well, i realize they also have other legal authority when it comes to drug smuggling, etc, but it's still under the border enforcement agenda). part of the outcry over the AZ law is that they are shifting some of the border patrol responsibilities on the local cops who DON'T have the training/funding to do what's being required - never mind the civil rights/racial discrimination arguments.
Emperors of Japan
Myspace

My thesis is called the "Black-Emperor-Says Theory" and holds that any any Phoenix-area indie rock festival there is a 100 percent probability that Emperors of Japan, Black Carl, and/or What Laura Says will be on the bill.

- Martin Shizzmore

#260 venven

venven

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

[media]

noam chomsky on sb1070

genius.

#261 Zoast

Zoast

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

My thinking is that if you want to fix illegal immigration you really need to go after those who employ them. Make the penalties harsh and business ending. I don't know... I can see how enforcement would be difficult, but clearly it's a problem already.

Light punishment for people acting on a motivation such as "trying to feed a family / make their life comfortable" is never going to have an effect. And harsh punishment for it would obviously be very twisted.

I don't think people should get a free ride on taxes either, though... (even if I disagree with the way much of it is spent)
.\|/.

#262 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

My thinking is that if you want to fix illegal immigration you really need to go after those who employ them. Make the penalties harsh and business ending. I don't know... I can see how enforcement would be difficult, but clearly it's a problem already.

my thinking is go after the root of the problem. the coyotes and drug runners.

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#263 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBfHD2n13OA&feature=player_embedded#!

noam chomsky on sb1070

WOW, I was only able to watch the first half of this last night. I will hopefully watch the rest tonight after work.

It makes soooooo much fucking sense the way he describes it.

Maybe what he is saying is complete B.S. it's all just his word, and plenty of it would need to be looked up, but damn is it convincing.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#264 sonofpatter

sonofpatter

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

Posted Image

Otherwise known by the old Bush Administration as "The Instructional Manual"

#265 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Obama sending 1200 national guard to border.

I need to finish watching that Chomsky clip.

#266 Syeed

Syeed

Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

I don't know if it's entirely related to the bill but in two traffic stops last night, 19 illegal immigrants were arrested.

I'm still very torn and I don't know what to think. In regards to the bill, I don't support racial profiling. But people coming into the country illegally isn't something I'm okay with either. I guess those traffic stops were a good thing since they were pulled over for stop you would actually pull people over for, but it really makes me think about the whole thing in earnest.

#267 The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

The Real Jeffrey Lebowski

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Found via The Rachel Maddow Show flickr photostream...

Posted Image

Sigh...

This ship will sail, This heart won't die

Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook

#268 Jacki O.

Jacki O.

Princess of Darkness

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,739 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Alto Arizona and other immigration reform groups have put together a National Day of Action tomorrow, May 29th, that features marches around the country, and a very special march in phoenix in response to sb1070 and other legislature. there will be lots of people in phx from out of town to march on the capital against sb1070 and urge immigration reform

yamobethere, gonna be fun and important

Posted Image

today, May 28th:
Alto Arizona Festival: Join us for a Festival of Human Rights - Friday, May 28, in Phoenix, AZ (the day before National Day of Action).

Time: 6pm - 12am/All Ages, $5 donation
Details: Live Music, Art Show, Film Festival, Live Poster Printing, Cultural Marketplace.

Posted Image

Saturday May 29th:
What: NDLON and Puente call on all people of conscience across the country to converge on Arizona on May 29. Together we will march to Stop the Hate and demand that Obama issue an executive order nullifying SB1070. STOP THE HATE!!!

Let Us Show The World That We Won’t Stand For Hateful Laws And Attacks On Immigrants And People Of Color.

Background: The passage of SB 1070 by Governor Brewer sparked national outrage catalyzing a movement for immigrant rights and lending a sense of urgency to stop the hate and terrorizing of immigrants and people of color in Arizona and across the nation. Puente (a human rights movement anchored in Phoenix) and NDLON (National Day Laborers Organizing Network) is calling for all people of conscience to converge on Arizona to Stop the hate on May 29th and demand President Obama take action to nullify this hateful law.

Demands:

We urge President Obama to:

1. Reassert the federal government's exclusive control over immigration law by making clear that state and local police do not have the inherent authority to enforce immigration law.
2. Immediately suspend and terminate all police-ICE partnerships, including 287(g) agreements and the so-called 'Secure Communities Initiative."
3. Direct the Department of Homeland Security to refuse to take custody of anyone charged with violating provisions of SB 1070.

Schedule of Events:

Friday, May 28th, Human Rights Festival at 8pm: music and art making for march.

Saturday, May 29th, Human Rights March, 8am gathering time: 5 mile long march converging at State Capitol. There will be live music at the beginning and end of march. Delegations from throughout the country and tens of thousands expected from the state. Local and national faith, human, civil, and labor leader speakers.

march route:
Posted Image

#269 jeremx

jeremx

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

damn.. now that's a march.
Cheap domains, hosting, email, etc = Indieweb.co
Temporary forum for Azpunk.com message board folks = www.azpwithdrawal.com

#270 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

I heard they are expecting 50k of people, and for the pro 1070 demonstration, they are expecting 10k.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users