The Other 49's Content

There have been 75 items by The Other 49 (Search limited from 21-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#867339 source victoria, kinch, colorstore

Posted by The Other 49 on 24 February 2010 - 05:41 PM in Shows and Stuff

Uh, yeah, there for sure.

#866162 Condoms

Posted by The Other 49 on 22 February 2010 - 10:12 PM in The Shizz General Forum

can we all agree that men should share the burden of birth control?
thank you

In the end, this is all that matters. It's really okay if he has problems keeping it up with a condom on. That still doesn't give reason for you to have to do it without one. He needs to offer help and hold up his end of the bargain. Maybe like you said, there's a way to do it so it's not quite as much of a pleasure kill for him.

For reasons you've already mentioned, the pullout and morning after methods are not practical from here to the end of the relationship and the pill obviously gives you problems. So, you both need to work out a solution. If he's not that forthcoming about being able to discuss it or work towards something, then he's simply not worth a fuck. Literally.

#863075 Currently recommending...

Posted by The Other 49 on 15 February 2010 - 03:27 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Anyone know a good dentist on the West side? Or even central Phoenix. I have had dental insurance for like two years and have been a jackass about using it.

#860368 Currently Thinking........

Posted by The Other 49 on 08 February 2010 - 06:25 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Polkas can be cool.

I shot a wedding in Minnesota last year and the DJ seriously played like six polka jams and it got by far the most people on that dance floor. It was great.

#860257 The CBS Super Anti-Choice Bowl

Posted by The Other 49 on 08 February 2010 - 01:33 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I'm firmly in the camp that says it's still not too late to abort Tim Tebow.

Also, "CNN contributor" Erick Erickson is a major league asshole. But I guess that's not exactly news.

And they try to label CNN as too liberal?

#859736 Who is your favorite all time AZ band?

Posted by The Other 49 on 06 February 2010 - 05:44 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Source Victoria

For me they are hands down the best band in Arizona right now. It actually blows my mind that they haven't been mentioned in this post more frequently.

- Brad (Not Aaron)

#859175 02/06/10 - The Other 49 vs. Tugboat - at Erin's Sheppards

Posted by The Other 49 on 05 February 2010 - 10:47 AM in Shows and Stuff

Everyone likes when people bump their own posts, right?... right? :unsure:

#858489 The Shizz Presents First Fridays Music!

Posted by The Other 49 on 03 February 2010 - 05:26 PM in Shows and Stuff

new improved flyer!
battle of the century this friday!

Posted Image

Completely unaware of your plans for a sweet battle flyer we had apparently been simultaneously creating our own sweet battle flyer for one of our other shows. It should be noted that while your show is a mere "battle of the century" our flyer bills the show as a "battle for the ages"... :P

Posted Image

#858113 OkStupid

Posted by The Other 49 on 02 February 2010 - 10:50 PM in The Shizz General Forum

With a username like "assmeat," you need to be expecting that. ;)

ftw

#858030 The CBS Super Anti-Choice Bowl

Posted by The Other 49 on 02 February 2010 - 05:20 PM in The Shizz General Forum

sorry for sounding like an A-hole in this thread. i was getting sick and in a bad mood.

for an update on this:

CBS got tons of hate mail about this and then said they would possibly run an opposing viewpoint ad, but have done nothing else about it. Oh and they have rejected a gay dating site ad.

Focus on the Family is saying the ad is about how Tim Tebow's mother was advised to get an abortion while pregnant with him after she fell ill and chose not to, the add doesn't say that she was in the Philipines at the time and abortion is/was illegal there so there was no way she could have had a safe legal abortion even if she chose to.

misconstrue the truth to get the right answers

Jehmu Greene from the Women's Media Center

No worries. I don't think I was getting my point across like I wanted to either. Either way, this is bullshit is correct. Especially after the rejection of the gay dating site ad.

In the end, it's all about the brand the network and the NFL want to create. My best advice to anyone is don't watch. Male, female, or otherwise, you have to show them what you believe and hope anyone else who dislikes it does the same. Then they will listen. Hopefully. ;)

#857725 Bands needed for West side benefit.

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 07:46 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I am putting together a benefit for Unite For the Cure. A charitable organization raising money for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. It's the number 1 genetic killer of children. My cousin's daughter has it, and it's an utterly terrible disease. I am looking for bands that might like to play with us on the show, particularly bands with some West side connections. That is where her family is and where most of us are, so we are doing it there. Here is the skinny. Let me know if you have interest.

Friday, March 12th
Donna Jean's Libations
NE corner of 67th Ave and Bell Rd
7pm
$5

I have a few messages out there already, but I am sure I will need some acts still. I am looking to do five bands. I have not seen a show there yet with their new sound equipment, but it's supposed to be decent.

If you are curious as to what we sound like, click one of the links below and let us know if you think it's a fit. Even if you don't. ;)

I also just realized how obnoxious it looks on the main forums page that I put this in all of them. Oh well, it's douchery for a good cause.

#857720 Bands needed for West side benefit.

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 07:40 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I am putting together a benefit for Unite For the Cure. A charitable organization raising money for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. It's the number 1 genetic killer of children. My cousin's daughter has it, and it's an utterly terrible disease. I am looking for bands that might like to play with us on the show, particularly bands with some West side connections. That is where her family is and where most of us are, so we are doing it there. Here is the skinny. Let me know if you have interest.

Friday, March 12th
Donna Jean's Libations
7pm
$5

I have a few messages out there already, but I am sure I will need some acts still. I am looking to do five bands. I have not seen a show there yet with their new sound equipment, but it's supposed to be decent.

If you are curious as to what we sound like, click one of the links below and let us know if you think it's a fit. Even if you don't. ;)

#857717 Bands needed for West side benefit

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 07:37 PM in Shows and Stuff

Thanks Tony. Helpful as always.

#857712 Who is your favorite all time AZ band?

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 07:21 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Mostly Bears
Kinch
What Laura Says
...music video?
Tugboat
Jimmy Eat World

dude...Tugboat is my new local fav right now...Montoya turned me on to them and they are currently rocking out my 2002 Dodge neon...then again I only got a CD player in that thing and no .mp3 port to hook up an ipod...and its the only CD in the car currently...but still....they rulez

Hey, then it's a good thing for you we are playing with them Saturday on a free show we put on! Check it out in the shows section. We love these guys too. They were one of the first bands who took some interest in us last year too.

#857708 OkStupid

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 07:16 PM in The Shizz General Forum

So I signed up as a lark but have been chatting with a chick who seems pretty nice, we're probably going on a date this weekend. We'll see what happens.

Good stuff.

#857655 02/06/10 - The Other 49 vs. Tugboat - at Erin's Sheppards

Posted by The Other 49 on 01 February 2010 - 03:56 PM in Shows and Stuff

The Other 49 vs. Tugboat

Someone's going to *die this Saturday... come out and see who it will be!!

Posted Image

Erin's Sheppards is located at 3114 E. Cactus Rd. in Phoenix, AZ 85032
Doors open at 9:00pm, show starts at 10:00pm, admittance is FREE, and you must be at least 21 years of age

*Actual death may not occur

#857375 Bands needed for West side benefit

Posted by The Other 49 on 31 January 2010 - 05:15 PM in Shows and Stuff

Hello all. I am putting together a benefit for Unite For the Cure. A charitable organization raising money for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. It's the number 1 genetic killer of children. My cousin's daughter has it, and it's an utterly terrible disease. I am looking for bands that might like to play with us on the show, particularly bands with some West side connections. That is where her family is and where most of us are, so we are doing it there. Here is the skinny. Let me know if you have interest.

Friday, March 12th
Donna Jean's Libations
7pm
$5

Also, maybe someone can help me. Not sure if this belongs in the general forum instead.

#856877 The CBS Super Anti-Choice Bowl

Posted by The Other 49 on 29 January 2010 - 05:43 PM in The Shizz General Forum

As far as regular Super Bowl commercials being sexist, they are. As far as the networks ignoring half their fanbase or reducing them to nags, they do. However, a lot of female football fans find these humorous as well. If it alienated half of their viewers their numbers would decline, not increase as they do every year. People like it.

it's always a double standard with women. If the number of women sports fans declines (which please show me some facts that they are increasing) then people would say "see women don't like sports, so who cares if we sell ad time to companies that objectify and stereotype them, they're not watching!"

if the number of female fans increases then people say "See women like these ads because our female fan numbers are increasing!"

it doesnt matter who likes them. it matters because the media is a powerful tool. and it's not just smart people who know the female experience is made up of more than hot women in lingerie selling beer or the naggy girlfriend that men have to run away from, who are watching these commercials. It's young people, women and men. and we're pretty much saying it's OK to say that we are a culture that degrades it's women/relationships/gender roles, that it's ok to promote alcohol abuse over healthy partnerships between people, over communication. Not surprisingly, alcohol is involved in a high number of domestic violence cases.

All that shit represents our culture to our young people.

I'm not saying our media can't explore gender humor or stereotypes. But let's do it in a smart way.

And as female fan who has written the NFL and college organizations multiple times about the kinds of commercials they choose to air during their games - i have never received a response back. Not once.

So now you have these commercials that say to women "Look you have to be super hot(and white) and not talk if you want to be valued in our society, but dont pregnant, because if you do and you decide to have an abortion, the NFL is going to lose out on a great quarterback"

fuck playing devil's advocate on a bullshit topic.

in the words of john lennon:
Woman is the Ni**er of the World

Edit:
And it's bullshit that as a human being that has participated in sports almost all her life, whether that be through being a fan or through actively playing sports, my gender's interest and involvement in sports is questioned every time we have a problem with being misrepresented or underrepresented.

The history of women in sports in America is so immense and impressive yet constantly being swept under the rug it's ridiculous. And all because advertisers and companies want to sell an uber-date-rape-masculine ideal to men and women. Many of whom buy into it!

For what it's worth, I completely agree with all of this. I just meant to say a lot of people, male and female, find it funny, etc. I don't really personally. I think it's cliche at best and dangerous at worst. I just happen to know a lot of women who think commercials with these typical gender roles are funny too.

Yes, I agree, do it in a smart way. For me, Dave Chappelle used stereotypes in his show and it was brilliant. Carlos Mencia did the same, and it was garbage. However, I can't say someone liking Mencia's version is bullshit just because I think it's stupid.

And I don't mean to question women's interest or involvement in sports. Some of the best fans I know are women. (sounds terribly like the whole some of my best friends are gay, black, etc. comment) I just wanted to point out that I think this broad, cliche humor is actually liked and appreciated by most. Not me. But I think the majority. Networks are 100% about money. Just like every form of media out there. The bottom line is moving greenbacks like every other business in the world. My personal goal would be to try and figure out how to educate society better in terms of what they support and what it means. If we convince everyone to raise their standard, networks, film companies, Walmart, etc, they all follow suit. A great example of this is how Walmart jumped on the natural end organic market when they realized they could turn a profit there too. That's all they really care about. What I am trying to say in the end is that equal, if not more, blame needs to fall upon the consumer and society than just the networks.

Sorry if this makes no sense.

I am fiercely pro choice. Not that it matters.

#856655 The CBS Super Anti-Choice Bowl

Posted by The Other 49 on 29 January 2010 - 11:59 AM in The Shizz General Forum

I know this is a terrible group and such, but I will play a bit of Devil's advocate.

I haven't seen the ad. No one has. Hard to completely judge it from that standpoint. Supposedly, some have said it was accepted because it's not as over the top as you would think. I still back free speech no matter what, but it is a double standard if they have not allowed other stance ads to be aired. Having said that, I don't think this is the spot for this kind of ad.

As far as regular Super Bowl commercials being sexist, they are. As far as the networks ignoring half their fanbase or reducing them to nags, they do. However, a lot of female football fans find these humorous as well. If it alienated half of their viewers their numbers would decline, not increase as they do every year. People like it.

#856447 Who is your favorite all time AZ band?

Posted by The Other 49 on 28 January 2010 - 10:48 PM in The Shizz General Forum

i cant look at this thread anymore without making a partial list of my fave AZ bands.

fatigo
sweetbleeders
colorstore
world class thugs
this traveling will
lonna
chango malo (tucson)
dylan charles (bisbee)
asleep in the sea
rueben's accomplice
runaway diamonds
naim amor (tucson)
minibosses
anything by yolanda of snow songs
pretty much anything that shane and dario and matt and all those hairy dudes do.
robin vining (this dude could fart better than most of you can play your instruments)
this is a partial list.....
AZ has some fuckin talent yo! there should be a reality show or something about it.

Nice list. Chango Malo!!!!

#856267 Who is your favorite all time AZ band?

Posted by The Other 49 on 28 January 2010 - 02:34 PM in The Shizz General Forum

I've only seen Lonna Kelley once but I was kind of blown away. What talent!

Good call Jacki and Danielle. Saw her once at the Rhythm Room and I freaking loved it.

#856265 OkStupid

Posted by The Other 49 on 28 January 2010 - 02:30 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Not too ashamed to say I am trying it too. Heard some good things and have been on a pretty wicked roll of suck chicks who I met in person.

Jacki actually popped up on my quick match thing. Naturally, high marks were given. Don't believe her "douchey" hype.

Also, a lot of people freak me out. I mean, I always knew there were a lot of wierdos or shady types out there, but when you have to read about them and analyze it, you see just how many people out there have lost their shit. Kinda funny. Very scary.

#855919 Who is your favorite all time AZ band?

Posted by The Other 49 on 27 January 2010 - 10:47 PM in The Shizz General Forum

Now it's Calexico. Before they started making music for sixteen year old girls putting on makeup, Jimmy Eat World. Clarity still moves me. And yeah, I know they were making music for those girls back then too, but maybe I was at least young enough not to care at the time.

I also love(d) Solo Project, Source Victoria, Underwater Getdown, Batter the Drag, Before Braille, The Refreshments, and many others.

#854754 great band names!

Posted by The Other 49 on 25 January 2010 - 11:26 PM in The Shizz General Forum

John TraVoltage is amazing.

Also, for an old school Simpsons reference, how about Donny Don't and the Do Nots?

#854680 The Return Of The Nile Basement

Posted by The Other 49 on 25 January 2010 - 07:56 PM in The Shizz General Forum

It seems like a lot of us are thinking we won't go into that shithole anymore and we won't drive to Mesa anymore and so on and so forth. Isn't that how it is sort of supposed to be now? That place represented a haven for young kids to go see shows and probably hear things or do things their parents wouldn't have liked had they known. It kinda raised a lot of us musically. Maybe now that can be that place for someone else. Yeah, we are too old to get up and down those stairs and yeah we are too old to cook in the summer down there. Maybe we aren't the ones who it's for anymore. Anyway, interesting to hear it's back.

And Jacki's right, a good show is always worth it.

And I like shitholes.

And not those kind.

But probably that too.