250 replies to this topic

#46 billy

billy

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

The Vinegar Sting was a great band too, I don't know what happened to those guys.

i think chad was in the unthinkables. we played with them at the mason jar, geez, maybe back in 99 when i was in a different band called "the monerans" with other dudes from springerville.

i think trent from VS is now playing guitar in haunted cologne, who are pretty awesome.

i miss the vinegar sting.

last i heard andy was playing in world class thugs. that still true?

#47 yami_wretch

yami_wretch

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

I have known Anthony from the revenge since he was small and er wait.....

malignous youth? any one? any one?

HAHAHAHA HOLY CRAP i forgot bout that one...didnt you jam with one of them at a show for a couple songs?
I will stab you with my SHARP STICKS!!!

#48 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

whoa ok a lot of info here
i lived in tucson for a couple of years before moving here so i gots to see some awesome shows
seeing malignus youth was always a treat
weird lovemakers, the fells, yellow brick roadkill, american deathtrip, teeth
absinthe, doo rag, spill blanket, slag, thaw, deth or eldona, gatrot (channel zero days), etc...

wasn't lucy's fur coat from here? i remember seeing them in high school
when i would drive down from globe for qfest or some shit

oh big scoop
some of you mentioned the post toasties. i can confirm that they had their first practice last sunday
so expect a comeback (maybe), weird to see what a tangled web we weave cuz usually my wife does not equal the shizz

and i'm with jesse the tree needs to be done again
i'm not even tied to vin fiz, fatigo or minibosses on there
the tree should just start with burke in the middle and then branch off
in 122353454256 bands from there

#49 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

The Vinegar Sting was a great band too, I don't know what happened to those guys.

Trent now plays bass in Haunted Cologne.
Andy lives in Nebraska and isn't playing anything.
Chad has had some . . . troubles; been "in and out" as they say.

ahhaaha

Ok, so I was in the winners and Fatigo AND also stew played drums in life like hair, which links in Dan as well who is also in Fatigo.

somebody needs to draw a new tree.

fatigo an vin fiz might be special projects on their own, this work may need to be subcontracted to a 3rd world country.

Which brings me to the reason I started this post.
I'm looking for a fun summer installation to do at Trunk Space for July-August (or sometime around then), and thought this would be a blast, cover a whole wall with all this stuff--like the diagram Donald posted, but huge.
I figured theshizz would make a decent starting point since most everyone can trace a line back to it at one point or another.

I'm still working on the idea, but I thought we could do a donation thing, or find a sponsor, or sell merch or something to help make the site/us some funds?
I don't know 100% that it'll happen, but Steph seems open to it, but not convinced yet--I come up w/ a lot of hairbrained ideas, so don't hold it against her.

There's an artist I like who did creations like this, Mark Lombardi, and I think the music would is prime fodder for this sort of undertaking.
Also, I've never done any diagraming, I know there's rules, so expert help would be needed . . .

Does this sound like something the shizz would want to do at our place?

JRC--Trunk Space

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#50 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

whoa ok a lot of info here
i lived in tucson for a couple of years before moving here so i gots to see some awesome shows
seeing malignus youth was always a treat
weird lovemakers, the fells, yellow brick roadkill, american deathtrip, teeth
absinthe, doo rag, spill blanket, slag, thaw, deth or eldona, gatrot (channel zero days), etc...

wasn't lucy's fur coat from here? i remember seeing them in high school
when i would drive down from globe for qfest or some shit

oh big scoop
some of you mentioned the post toasties. i can confirm that they had their first practice last sunday
so expect a comeback (maybe), weird to see what a tangled web we weave cuz usually my wife does not equal the shizz

and i'm with jesse the tree needs to be done again
i'm not even tied to vin fiz, fatigo or minibosses on there
the tree should just start with burke in the middle and then branch off
in 122353454256 bands from there

Lucys Fur Coat was from LA, i think. I remember seeing them with Fivespeed, before i was in the band, at Bostons, outside. I got my cock pierced earlier that day. I couldn't stand up that long...or sit much.
I still don't have a signature.

#51 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Trent now plays bass in Haunted Cologne.
Andy lives in Nebraska and isn't playing anything.
Chad has had some . . . troubles; been "in and out" as they say.

ahhaaha

Ok, so I was in the winners and Fatigo AND also stew played drums in life like hair, which links in Dan as well who is also in Fatigo.

somebody needs to draw a new tree.

fatigo an vin fiz might be special projects on their own, this work may need to be subcontracted to a 3rd world country.

Which brings me to the reason I started this post.
I'm looking for a fun summer installation to do at Trunk Space for July-August (or sometime around then), and thought this would be a blast, cover a whole wall with all this stuff--like the diagram Donald posted, but huge.
I figured theshizz would make a decent starting point since most everyone can trace a line back to it at one point or another.

I'm still working on the idea, but I thought we could do a donation thing, or find a sponsor, or sell merch or something to help make the site/us some funds?
I don't know 100% that it'll happen, but Steph seems open to it, but not convinced yet--I come up w/ a lot of hairbrained ideas, so don't hold it against her.

There's an artist I like who did creations like this, Mark Lombardi, and I think the music would is prime fodder for this sort of undertaking.
Also, I've never done any diagraming, I know there's rules, so expert help would be needed . . .

Does this sound like something the shizz would want to do at our place?

JRC--Trunk Space

sure :)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#52 Quezo

Quezo

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Scott White from Hammertoes was also in the Threads with Ryan Kennedy, and Drunken Immortals. Me was in HToes two.

#53 Big_Poppa

Big_Poppa

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

There have always been a bunch of different "scenes" around here.

Further back than I would like to claim, the Mill Ave scene was overwhelmed with mostly "cover" bands. I was in a band called A Show of Hands (horrible name) that played at Edsels every Tuesday and Max's 919 every Sunday night - and Chuy's/Gibson's every once in a while. Rain Convention, Method U and a couple others all had these random players that have splintered off into everything from the Refreshments/Roger Clyne to The Chadwicks and Metalhead etc. A couple of my favorites back in those days were Lime Green and The Undertow (anyone? anyone?? ).

Last week I ran into Mike from Soulgrind (mentioned earlier). I was really flattered when he told me when he started playing in Vin Fiz, he wanted to start singing so he wouldn't have to learn those bass lines. I also ran into Nick from Roger Clyne's band the other day. Nick used to play in Gloritone and Rain Convention among some others....

When I moved back to the valley in the early 90's I played in a band called THC ( Buhler? Anyone?). My first weekend back my friends took me to see Brickchair and B Strange at the Mason Jar - Out of all of the "Tempe" bands, I really liked Dead Hot Workshop. A bit later on I thought Jesus Chrysler were really cool (before it got silly with people throwing beer on them during their sets) and Trunk Federation/ Seven Storey/ and Les Pain were all definitely the bees knees in my book.

#54 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone remember The Glory Revival, and The Beat Angels?

The On Seduction, Tres Tres Bien, Death of Marat

So many bands, I have heard mention of Tucson bands, has anyone brought up the Flagstaff bands?
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#55 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

the flagstaff bands chart would be a MESS!!!!!!!!!!!

i can help with the diagram thingy, at least plotting it, especially
if it's going to be time-sensitive. the only thing is, this thing could
be huge, bigger than four trunk spaces, so it really needs limits
and constraints. it needs a starting cutoff date and it needs some
limits on how far the members can branch off.

some things that could make the display interesting - small band
pics or album covers. and it should definitely be ported to the web
after or during

#56 HaikuNoU

HaikuNoU

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Does anyone remember The Glory Revival, and The Beat Angels?

The On Seduction, Tres Tres Bien, Death of Marat

So many bands, I have heard mention of Tucson bands, has anyone brought up the Flagstaff bands?

The Beat Angels first drummer (whose name I can't remember) sadly passed on. He was in a good band called The Telefones previously and was one of the best local drummers evah. Brian Smith (B.A. vocalist) moved to Detroit, he was previously in Gentleman After Dark but that was way before my time. Keith Jackson is in Glass Heroes circa now.
The Weird Lovemakers were awesome, they were part of the same scene as Earl's Family Bombers, The Fells & Safety Orange. If you check youtube, some thoughtful Tucsonians have posted awesome videoclips of some of those bands from back in the day. Going wayyy back The Sand Rubies are reformed and I got to see them and have a beer with them. Rich Hopkins is friggin' cool.
Flagstaff wise, I used to really like The Baskervilles, previously called Creature Feature. They're still around, I think.
"Every Saint has a past, but every sinner has a future"-Oscar Wilde

#57 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Hmmm... I was in some bands in Flagstaff, Tucson, and Phoenix over the past (roughly) 15 years. Mid-90's in Flag, late 90's in Tucson, and a couple projects this decade here in Phx/Tempe. SO I might be able to contribute to a comprehensive AZ chart... but I'll need help jogging my memory.

There was a rad band in Flag back-then called Degobah System... But one of my favs from that time was Black Fire (a Navajo-punk act that played basement shows downtown). Vaguely remember going to see Soul Cracker at a party in the woods where they ran the amps on a generator. That's well before they were a "san diego" band on Vh1... A guy in my band at the time helped teach the kid who became IHYWYP some guitar. Any of you with Flag ties know Josh Maust? awesome drummer beyond his years, but died before he was 20.

Anyway... this all reminds of a research methodology called social network analysis. Could draw up a heck of a 2-way graph if we could sort out this data.

#58 jeremy_arp

jeremy_arp

Shizz Senior Member

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Does anyone remember Last Option? Counterpunch?

Safehouse was rad… I think Eric had something to do with Silver Dollar/Three guys productions?

I remember seeing Chad from Vinegar Sting at the Art Cage playing in a band called the Phoenix Sons.

Here's my addition for a family tree—hope its shizz-worthy, but it was fun to write

Stymie: 1991, I played guitar for a band, with Daryl on drums (who later played/sang in Hupscratch, Daryl Scarer, The Power of Positive Thinking, Turn Back, O Man), Bryan on Bass (Chuck Taylor All Stars, Everlasting, Lemmings) and a couple other guys. We played at Mason Jar for Franco:) First real show was with Rice and Bumblescrump.

Skeletor: 1993-? Again in a band with Paul R., Daryl, Sean and CW, who I play in AP Calculus with now.

Lyburnum (formerly withdrawn): 1993-1995, with Ted Z., Paul R., me, .... Butler, Edwards who later formed Unruh. Ryan also went on to form Wellington, Uruk Hai, Mercitron, Structure of Lies and played in North Side Kings and now Landmine Marathon. Edwards played in the Bindle Stiffs.

The Motorcylces
: 1995 -?, Ted Z., Justin, John, Darren, me and Paul S, who played in Slugger and now Dead Doctors. We played with the Stamens a couple of times, but never the peeps, unfortunately:(

Dovecote: 1995, Sean, Nick from Quagmire, Dan from Angerfits, and I. I want to say that Dan played in the Slowdown later? I could be wrong...

The Gimps: 1995, Matt Martinez went on to do a ton of bands like Landmine Marathon, Tho Ko Losi, Noreaster, Kareen, Suicide Nation, among others.

The browns: 1995-1997, Ted Z., Justin, me... Ben filled in on drums and went on to play in Bullyrag aka Fucking Thunder with Eric who played in rad bands like Roman Arms, Landmine Marathon, Financial Panther, Hell is for Heroes, etc.

Hotfoughtcold: 2001-2003, Jeff Meininger played in I at the sandbox, Radia, Schon Theory, Bella and others. Chad's first band-- later formed Roman Arms and Hail the Siren Rain. Fred from minibosses, you knighted nations filled in on drums when Jeremy's arm was broken.

Autorock: 2005-6 Jeff, Jeremy I. and me from hfc, plus Jen from Quarter Inch Crown and tony/ mancopter.

Bombs Away Beirut: 2007 Jeremy I., me, Jen and Hazen from Quarter Inch crown.

Bossk: 2007-2008- Scott (from After Any Accident, Gymkata, Affirmative Action Figure), Dave (Ten Commandments: The Movie, Sports Lazer, Melted Cassettes), MIG50 (Vin Fiz), and me.

AP Calculus: 2007 – present CW, Jeremy I. and me from hotfoughtcold, Jeremy K. from The Vices, Jim Jones & The Temptors.

#59 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

Damn, Arp... good one. Counterpunch had Jesse Everhardt, who went on to be in every single Phx band ever...among them: Blofiche (sp?), Horace Pinker, Safehouse, Seven Storey, Tickertape Parade... Don't forget about Richard Cranium in there with the Lyburnum folks, too...playing shows at the Eagle Transportation warehouse.
I still don't have a signature.

#60 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

some cool stuff here

I spoke with JRC and Steph lastnight and they have some cool ideas.

Great information so far!

Does anyone know if there are certain rules in how one puts this stuff together, kind of like how there is MLA and APA style formatting for text?

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users