167 replies to this topic

#61 Thugletta

Thugletta

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

[QUOTE]that's about it. i feel like i'm too old to play the 'i'll go see your band if you come see mine' game.

however i think you're on to a good thing; scene unity is a tuly kewl idea and when it works it's beautiful. one thing i noticed when i went to club congress' 20th anniversary was how almost all the musicians (20 years on) knew each other and were happy to hang together....a really neat community vibe. it feels like phx is a little different, probably because it's so huge and people leave as fast as they blow into town. :shrug:

I don't know too many folks who play the "I'll go see your band if you come see mine" anymore either. it's too silly. but there's something to be said for friends supporting each other. it's karma and love and flowers out the butt. it's just like the rest of life, if someone repeatedly ignores your phone calls you stop calling them. and you expect them to do the same in the reverse situation. if you skip someone's birthday party three years in a row, don't expect that they'll be keeping in touch. people are busy with family, work, artistic pursuits, panhandling etc. so you can't get bent out of shape when you don't always have a big draw especially in phoenix. and small draws are underrated. they are often more attentive and the show is more intimate. and the grass is always greener tucson thing... the geographical thing is a strike against phoenix especially with high gas prices. it's cool when you can park or walk to a show and go see multiple shows within walking distance of each other. i think grand is going in this direction right now. that's what i am loving about central phoenix right now.
i've been at shows in flag where i was just in awe of the number of people (and yes mostly students and hipsters) who were just venue-hopping, enthusiastically giving a LOT of support for bands both local and out-of-town. but you didn't have to drive from venue to venue really. but then i've known folks from smaller towns who think phoenix is just this big cool rockstar place to play. snort if you will.

#62 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:56 PM

I don't know what I think of all this... except to say, the world DOES owe me. Fuckers.

awwwwwwwwwww....does someone need a hug? ;)

does someone need a monkey pile?

MONKEY PILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do need a monkey pile...

where's the lube?
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#63 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

the flowers coming out of my butt are wilting <_<

#64 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

um....dude....those aren't flowers...
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#65 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,129 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

I don't know what I think of all this... except to say, the world DOES owe me. Fuckers.

does someone need a monkey pile?

MONKEY PILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do need a monkey pile...

where's the lube?

dude...gross.

you fucking ruined it.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#66 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

i win...

neener neener.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#67 transonic

transonic

Pimpin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

I know Henri and he is a great person with a tremendous drive to grow a scene and a community that is positive and multidisciplinary. The shows I've been to that he organizes include other art forms besides music and entertain/challenge people in ways that music alone cannot. I think Henri was just trying to say let's not be critical of each other in hurtful ways. If we are critical of another band or personality on the Shizz, let's do it in a constructive way. If we intend to be humorous with our criticism, then make sure your intention is understood. I teach online classes and the misunderstandings that come from miscommunicating over email occur frquently and easily. I don not think Henri was trying to play the 'you come to my show, I'll come to yours game' -- I believe he is encouraging us as musicians and artists to strive to create authentic and subtatntive experiences for the audience. You do this by giving the audience multiple entry points to access your meaning/intention behind the art you create. So much of our society operates on the surface of things--let's delve a little deeper and help our audiences delve a little deeper. and have more fulfilling lives. Why do we go to live music shows? Is it just to be entertained, if so, then we could just turn on the tv and watch VH1 and have the same experience. If we go to shows to experience life, to feel like we are a part of something and feel a connection with a greater community who may believe the same things as you, or who may challenge your belief system, then we are the people Henri is trying to reach.

Yes, many of us on the Shizz are in the choir that sing in the church of music and art--as far as trying to make a music scene happen in PHX and its suburbs is concerned. However, I think Henri's point is this: instead of being critical in a negative way and coming off elitsit and unreachable, try being a mentor and teach other bands with positive criticism instead of being dismissive and rude. Did you like teachers in school who said, "you suck. Go home." Or did you like teachers who said "you suck, but you can do better, here's how..."?

My 64 cents.
Be courageous. Be creative.

http://www.myspace.com/transonic
Posted Image

#68 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

HFE-

This is not about, or has it ever been about, "i'll goo see your band if you go see mine" you ignorant dumbass!! I do expect a plumber to be doing more for the community. I expect everyone to do more for the community, like being nice and helping it develop a culture, not just a bunch of whiny, uncultured, transplanted bitches. It has nothing to do with building a specific music scene. I don't go see bands I do not like either and for your information, it has nothing to do with money or paying 14$ to go see your shitty ass band @ the Rhythm Room. You just don't get it, and I should not expect you to. You are just afraid to express your feelings, afraid someone will think of you the way you actually ARE. That's lame-ass PR and its not about PR...its about rapport and integrity. You should have more integrity for the city you live in...what about YOUR KIDS....what about thier future. Oh yes, you probably have never thought of anyone but yourself, you selfish ego-maniac. I am not forcing some to love me, nor do I expect them to...cuz in the words of your snide-ass comment "it don't werk." Of course I know that, do you think I am an idiot....and I am not against the Modified and Leslie and Kimber...so get off of that already. You just kiss thier ass to keep playing at thier venue. I am not saying don't be respectful at all, but you should not kiss someone's ass over anything.
And this is not 1965, and we are not peace-loving hippies...I am a fucking realist you moron!!! And I tired of people like you who don't help build our commuinty...take some fucking pride in the city you live in. Are you even from PHX, mr HFE??? Please tell me...how long have you been here...and I know a scene is made of up of good bands, good venues..etc but there is also unity involved...knowing one another. There is a local commuinty at work here...and maybe the problem is all you assholes feel the need to charge 8$ for the shows...why not play a free Festival in the middle of heritage park..oh I forgot, you don't have the balls Mr. HFE !!! Spread out a little, check out Final Fridays in Tempe...oops wait again, that would require effort on the part of your lazy ass. I could give a shit what you "Shizzters" think. Life is about speaking out...not suppressing emotions, only saying these types of comments to your buddies at the bar...that is just plain chicken shit!!! America, especially Phoenix, lacks a positive, community attitude, and is going down the drain. Why not step it up and be a commuinty leader, a community advocate? Its ignorant, arogant people like you...only out for yourselves, who create a cuthroat environment that perpetuates this cycle. That sickens me...and it sickens me to think that if you get rich doing this...you wouldn't give back a dime. So please go service your ego and kiss someone elses ass, just to make sure your PR standpoint is looking great!! Take some time and learn more about your city, jore about your demographics!!! Just think about it, don't be just another lame ass hater!! Do something about it!! So HFE, take some fucking ACTION!! Then come back and talk!! Thank you for your time!!
peace-
henri/rocketline :ph34r:

#69 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:32 PM

Don't be a creep. :blink:

#70 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

Kevin -

You are awesome and thank you once again for being supportive to the common good of our community!!! Your comments do not go unappreciated by any means!!

henri

#71 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

Jesus chill the fuck out

#72 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

afraid of a little competition?

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#73 mig50

mig50

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,129 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

Don't be a creep. :blink:

i don't think he can help it.
you mean you forgot cranberries too?

#74 Guest_hbiz_*

Guest_hbiz_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

not afraid of competition by any means...actually I welcome it!!! and "I am perfectly calm dude" - Walter Zocheck ??
...these are just images on a compuetr screen..no one is picking any fights!! :)

#75 aaronburke

aaronburke

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzadmin
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

whoa...transonic's post and then henri's post
right in a row are kinda funny when taken together...

i don't remember the last time i saw a 'your band sucks!'
post even in jest...i think that's more for the old boards of
yore, like amj or something. even azpunk has raised
the bar for their own posts from what i've seen...

anyway, it's all well and good to talk about this
stuff, but it seems like a lot of doublespeak at the
same time. so henri wants to unify the scene.
what does he mean by that? what will the scene
be like if or when it's unified? guide us through a
typical week in the life of the scene. what will the
scene be doing in the future that it's not already
doing?

we need practical answers and not theoretical ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users