167 replies to this topic

#121 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

I think most if not all of the bands here have played benefits, put together benefits, etc. Many have played free shows and a variety of venues. Benefit shows are almost always a good vibe although let's face it, many bands are playing for next to nothing already anyway so a benefit isn't a big stretch. Many have involved media and some have been on t.v. Also, there's been quite a bit of combined art with fashion shows, dancers, fire-breathing dragons, etc. These are all good things and I don't think anybody could complain about seeing more of it. I can't wait to see more new ideas put into play. All the action is better than this goofy posting. Many a meeting has been called for brain-storming and scene-uniting among Valley musicians. Most of us just adore music and going to see the bands that we like. We just need more folks like us. Let's clone us. Let's teach the little children how to drive and go see us and our clones. Then let's clone some more of us.

yes yes yes

i was going to go on a rant but it's probably not worth the time

anyway there is a synergistic element to good scenes that tend to snowballl ...... blah blah ... it's like a hurricane, it will build up till it gets to be a category 4 or 5 & if you work at it & you're lucky maybe this will be the next 'seattle' or 'austin' or whatever ........ we all do our part in this wonderful scorching hot valley to try to make that happen.

#122 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

i feel like not enough of the talent is out performing, because they don't know that they can. 

whew! you've almost motivated me to get off the couch, fire up an amp, and go see if I can remember the words to any of my songs...

stepped away from the computer for a couple hours, and came back to this -- good to see some adrenaline or whatever getting folks talking about these topics. especially the brodie/HFE banter. will think about it for bit, see if I've anything to contribute.

#123 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

I cannot reveal all my ideas for this city into the public realm...they are mine and I do not trust any of you, and its mostly b/c I don't know half of you!!! So heads up!!! It's coming your way!!!

:lol:
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

"THIS JUST IN: SHANE KENNEDY LIKES NOTHING.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#124 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

whew! you've almost motivated me to get off the couch, fire up an amp, and go see if I can remember the words to any of my songs...

I'm one of the lucky people who have actually SEEN and HEARD this IN PERSON. You need to do it more often.

stepped away from the computer for a couple hours, and came back to this -- good to see some adrenaline or whatever getting folks talking about these topics. especially the brodie/HFE banter. will think about it for bit, see if I've anything to contribute.

And by banter, you mean me making HFE my bitch, of course.

#125 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

thx brodie, will see what I can do. :)

#126 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

. I agree that a good band should be inspired to leave town, of course, but how will they ever get thier chances without a strong local following, a strong local scene.

Horsecrap...
Pavement made a record, got signed to a killer label, and started a tour without ever having played a local show.

There are many many ways to get out there.....play cool music, record it, use it to get shows opening for like-minded national, and give them 10 copies....give 10 copies to the promoter, give 10 copies to the club-owner...etc....

When a label dude sit's down to hear a recording, he doesn't know, or give a fuck, how popular you are in your home town. Unless, of course, he does...it's possible.

It must be nice to be, what, 20?, and know everything...

Those were the days...

anyhoo, enough of this silly business....
"HFE...sometimes you seem serious when you are joking and jokey when your serious. You make me laugh and sob all at once. Bless you, and bless the great asshole in the sky that shit you out onto earth. Thank you...thaaaaaaank you. " - bb

"Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you're offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone's feelings." - DS

"one persons harassment, is just another person trying to get there shit back, ever think-a that?"

SHOCKER." - Mig50

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#127 Brodie

Brodie

Shizz Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

It must be nice to be, what, 20?, and know everything...

Dude... that's one thing that drives me crazy... the fact that the older I get, the more shit I realize I don't know.

(and with that... the whistle has blown, it's time to go home for the day)

#128 wingedvictory

wingedvictory

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

Good ol' male stubbornness.
I still say y'all may as well just measure 'yer Johnsons, and get it over with.
This is getting ridiculous!
Pete,
the Winged Victory Team.

#129 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:14 PM

Good ol' male stubbornness.
I still say y'all may as well just measure 'yer Johnsons, and get it over with.
This is getting ridiculous!

It started out that way, where the Hell did you expect it to go?
;)

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#130 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

And by banter, you mean me making HFE my bitch, of course.

I ain't no bitch, I'm a chump...

And you know who's chump I am.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#131 nathan

nathan

Rauble Rauble

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

some good bands:

hotfoughtcold
ponies
seven storey mountain
cheif beef, king of all the meats
underliner :D
autorock
wax vultures
rum tenor

just felt like typing:)

p.s. Does Brodie know how the quote feature works?

#132 wingedvictory

wingedvictory

Shizz Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

some good bands:

hotfoughtcold
ponies
seven storey mountain
cheif beef, king of all the meats
underliner :D
autorock
wax vultures
rum tenor

just felt like typing:)

p.s. Does Brodie know how the quote feature works?

Straight up, I heard Wayman Tisdale's band was the shit! ;) :lol:
Some more good local bands that have passed on to dead band heaven (i hope it exists)
...and Guppies Eat Their Young
Half Visconte
Scramjet!
After Any Accident
Employee of the Moth
Trois Pistoles (sp?)
Budget Sinatra (recently!)
To name a few...
Pete,
the Winged Victory Team.

#133 Hooray For Everything

Hooray For Everything

Shizz JediMaster

• Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

See. now I totally disagree....

Awful, all of them.

Except for the ones that my friends are in, those bands are so awesome....

I enjoy Blackfeet, but I'm not sure I can say that now that I'm playing some drums for them....

They are playing tonight with the Fruit Bats at Modified...

They/we were OFFERED the show....

no ass kissing involved, though I offered.

SHOCKER." - Mig50

#134 weener

weener

Shizz Overlord

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

Dang, where did all this come from? What's with all this scene/clique business? I'll admit, the Shizz can seem clique-y at times, but in all honesty, it's a huge clique that's not difficult to become a part of. For fuck's sake, I'M in this "clique," and I'm not some big important person, just some pissant little girl who posts a lot and likes to see shows. The Shizz is not some impenetrable fortress of awesomeness and only the coolest and most self-important scenesters need apply.

Those comments about Leslie were way out of line. She works her butt off for peanuts (if I'm not mistaken, she is a nanny for a few small children to make ends meet), no one is getting rich off modified. Leslie must work 60 hours a week for that place and no one has to kiss ass to get a show there.

This Henri guy seems to me that he's getting bent out of shape because no one else has caught on to his personal great idea yet. If he were already a part of the Shizz "clique," I'm sure he would change his tune. I couldn't ask for a better scene. Chill out, make a few posts before you throw a hissy fit, and maybe everyone will be as crazy about your ideas as you are!

#135 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

The Shizz is not some impenetrable fortress of awesomeness and only the coolest and most self-important scenesters need apply.

apparently you've never entered into the secret Shizz inner sanctum.

(ask Donald about the secret handshake and other "initiation" rites)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users