Shizz Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

like this

cool!
i put my bands in!

i am also so glad that someone mentioned terror at sea. "tsunami" was one of my personal favorites from a local band! i still have that on cassette somewhere......

I didn't know you were in the Billy No Mates, what a small world. I remember seeing you guys at the Lucky Dragon.

yup. back in the day. playing at the lucky dragon was the best! we always had a good bar tab when we played there!!! me and jessica j started that band. prior to the billy no mates, jessica took my place in the peeps and then after that, paula monarch took her place. and then the peeps disbanded and chela and paula played in hell on heels. helene, from the okmoniks (awesome tucson band) played with them too.

and leslie...that bar on roosevelt was the atomic cafe! i totally forgot about that place until you mentioned it!

#137 richiebankrupt

richiebankrupt

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Shizzified
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

Bands i have played in -

Lunge
Downtime
The Expletives
Death takes a holiday
Vin-Fiz
Seven Storey Mountain

Bands i can remember-

Eight Circuit Model
Trunk Federation
JFA
Rabid Rabbit
the on seduction
Mad at em
Earls family bombers
The Customers
Mr. merenga

#138 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Sweet! Put in in the spreadsheet!! We ain't your data entry clerks!

Bands i have played in -

Lunge
Downtime
The Expletives
Death takes a holiday
Vin-Fiz
Seven Storey Mountain

Bands i can remember-

Eight Circuit Model
Trunk Federation
JFA
Rabid Rabbit
the on seduction
Mad at em
Earls family bombers
The Customers
Mr. merenga

you're a signature.

#139 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

OK here's a sunday morning update... I've only got what's in the spreadsheet (I might try to go back through this thread sometime, but haven't yet).

109 bands, 40 people

And we're still missing a ton of data!

#140 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

that diagram is starting to look pretty awesome!
you're a signature.

#141 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

The evolution of this project is amazing.
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#142 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

there's still a few sections that are off all alone... it would be cool to have all the sections fit together somehow...
I still don't have a signature.

#143 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

so i added my info, but it didn't take my new band, is that because we don't have anything on the internet? or was that just like practice or something. i still don't know all the internet stuff yet i'm only on like page 99

Posted Image

?? you can put whatever you want on the spreadsheet. There shouldn't be anything stopping you. As long as your new band qualifies as a band.

p.s. will anyone de-throne robin as the king of all jammers?
dayumn, that guy gets around.

yea i tried putting my new band in then it didn't take?

do we have to have a website or something?

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#144 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

like most applications, you need to make sure to save your changes chad
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#145 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

one other thought to make things easier in my head would be to flip the list so that it's not organized as 'bands by individuals" but instead list the bands and then the (several?) people in those bands. that way, I think we'd get some more complete info... right now we have a bunch of bands linked to just one person.

Agreed.
Do we need to set up a "rule" like, in order to be included in a band, you have to have either played a show or been on a release w/ them? Just to make it technical?
Ya'll're more band savey then I, is there a guideline for that?

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#146 beefstew

beefstew

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

like this

Updated.

I should explain Humphrey Flyer, which none of you probably heard of. It was a band I was in with two guys from high school. Since Mothrock and Danosaur are Warrior Alum, they might know. On guitar/vocals was AJ Rennells and on bass/vocals was Jeff Eichenberg. We opened for Shortbus at the Nile a super long time ago. That was the only "show" we really played. I think everything else was house parties. So, that's why I was asking if Shortbus was local. I couldn't remember.

#147 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

like this

Updated.

I should explain Humphrey Flyer, which none of you probably heard of. It was a band I was in with two guys from high school. Since Mothrock and Danosaur are Warrior Alum, they might know. On guitar/vocals was AJ Rennells and on bass/vocals was Jeff Eichenberg. We opened for Shortbus at the Nile a super long time ago. That was the only "show" we really played. I think everything else was house parties. So, that's why I was asking if Shortbus was local. I couldn't remember.

House shows count.
There's lots of bands who've never even set foot on a "real" stage.
I mean some folks wouldn't consider Trunk Space a real venue, still others wouldn't include Modified, The Paper Heart, or even Nitas depending on their context.
You know, the "If it aint at Celebrity Theater it aint a concert" type crowd.

Otherwise, so bands "on top" w/ a list of members underneath to branch off from then.

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#148 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

do out of town bands count? (bands you were in from other places before/after you moved here.) Is this strictly a local thing?
I still don't have a signature.

#149 eraser

eraser

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

This is all amazing and awesome!

(It actually gives me some ideas on trying to map the Phoenix improv scene ...)

Anyway, I can't wait to see everything and the resultant exhibit at The Trunk Space (reunion shows please!).

One thing that I think might be helpful boundaries for the purposes of the exhibit:

- frame it as only a piece of the larger fabric of PHX bands (it's going to be near impossible to include everyone and everything in the actual, physical exhibit)

- have the exhibit trace the roots of currently active bands (as opposed to all PHX bands ever) that go back x number of generations.

As awesome as some bands are, if any don't have members that were in previous bands (which is almost non-existent it sounds like), I think that's a good boundary to set. You could even set the number of minimum generations /numbers of bands that a band or individual goes back.

I don't know if that's as clear as it is in my head, but hopefully it will help in some way anyway.

As far as plotting the info, it might be cool to plot info in terms of duration of bands on a time line similar to how Wikipedia plots cycles of Mac products (as an example) ... almost like bar graphs.
jose of The Torch Theatre - PHX's home for longform improv comedy & theatre and the Phoenix Improv Festival.

#150 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

another update... whew. 85 people, 172 bands, 319 connections.

I'll need to start thinking about better ways to display this much info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users