250 replies to this topic

#106 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

Way way back in my memory i can remember a Phoenix Ska band, but i can't remember the name of it. They played at atomic cafe and maybe Electric Ballroom.

Kongo Shock? Warsaw?

I think Warsaw was a Flagstaff band, technically. One of 'em used to give lessons at my high school.

#107 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Did anyone mention Breakfast of Champions yet???

By the way Donald I will help you map this all out and get it up on the wall at Trunkspace. We might just want to project it up o the wall maybe in a slide show manner. Or at least that was an idea I just had.

p.s. I still think John from Malakai must narrate.

Awesome, we should figure out when we can collab on this with JRC and Steph

The way this thing is building its going to epic.
We'll need to print this thread out to refer to.

Donald, Steph and I met briefly Tues night, and put down a tentative date: June through August.
We also talked a tiny bit about how its going to go on the wall, string lines to connect stuff, different colors to indicate relationships and types of boxes too.
We're really hoping to make it a largely interactive event from the sound of things.
I think, it looks like we'll be putting together a "skeleton" of the chart, and then have everyone who comes by add to it over the course of the month(s).
Obviously, its going to be complicated, messy, and incomplete--but that’s why its art!
This sounds like its going to be sort of like our annual "Grid" art show where we map downtown PHX w/ photos all across the wall.
We haven' talked about boundaries and guidelines yet, but there's a few months to go before it happens, so it has time to develop.

We're also talking about doing prints and t-shirts to sell & commemorate it.
Maybe some hot sweaty reunion shows?
We are also trying to come up w/ a way to include art from musicians, and/or images/mementos of related things.

Side Note: Some of you know I put out odd non-music CDs.
I am thinking this might be a good project to tie in somehow, an oral history of our scene maybe?
Start piecing together your fuzzy memories: best show ever, turning points, old clubs that aint there anymore, ect . . .

We are really excited about this!
JRC--TTS

Sounds like we have alot of work to do : ) I think the spreadsheet idea is a good way to start. Or at least to wrap our heads around it. I need to check out the guidelines too. Sounds like lots of fun. We should be able to dig up alot of old pictures and what not. It will be a hoot. If you all decide on meeting times I will be sure to make it.

the spreadsheet sounds good. We can set one up to be shared on Google docs so we can all edit and add to it. Also we might want to use a graphic organizer tool like CMAP

Ok, so someone start a google doc already!
you're a signature.

#108 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

how does one start a google doc?
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#109 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

how does one start a google doc?

:lol:
you're a signature.

#110 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

like this
you're a signature.

#111 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Fuckin Life Like Hair!!!

Google Docs are so awesome.

UPDATED!!
I still don't have a signature.

#112 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

okay, so the spreadsheet looks like it is working, everyone can just go on there and and their junk.

the data can be copied and pasted to excel when finished and then it will be easier to sort the result I bet. (and faster)

plus we can chat while adding data. FUN!
you're a signature.

#113 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

thanks Mothrock :)
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#114 chadk

chadk

Shizz Master Zero

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

so i added my info, but it didn't take my new band, is that because we don't have anything on the internet? or was that just like practice or something. i still don't know all the internet stuff yet i'm only on like page 99

Posted Image

All the time when I tell people what I do they say, "Oh I don't understand art, I can't even draw." (or worse, "I only like art I can understand.") Well, ya know what, I don't know how to make a car, but I sure appreciate being able to drive one.

-trunkspace

#115 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

so i added my info, but it didn't take my new band, is that because we don't have anything on the internet? or was that just like practice or something. i still don't know all the internet stuff yet i'm only on like page 99

Posted Image

?? you can put whatever you want on the spreadsheet. There shouldn't be anything stopping you. As long as your new band qualifies as a band.

p.s. will anyone de-throne robin as the king of all jammers?
dayumn, that guy gets around.
you're a signature.

#116 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

A quick & dirty example of how we could visualize some of this data, if it's input it in the right format....

ok, wait, not sure if I'm saavy enough to attach an image. damn it.

#117 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

dang it.

I am way too obsessed with accurate data. I am going to have nightmares about this google doc.

that web diagram looks pretty cool. should be purdied up a bit for an installation at a gallery, but it is still neat.
you're a signature.

#118 skeksis

skeksis

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

Click over to "sheet 2" on the google spreadsheet for an alternate way of documenting this... that's what I imported to the network diagram, which yeah, could be cleaned up for presentation at some point if we want to.

dang it.

I am way too obsessed with accurate data. I am going to have nightmares about this google doc.

that web diagram looks pretty cool. should be purdied up a bit for an installation at a gallery, but it is still neat.

#119 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

A quick & dirty example of how we could visualize some of this data, if it's input it in the right format....

ok, wait, not sure if I'm saavy enough to attach an image. damn it.

Geezus this is amazing!
Is there a way to see it, so the bands are the blue squares?
The way I was envisioning it, they'd be the "hubs" and the lines would be the band members.
Does that make sense/Is it possible?

Thanks for the work on this, it is like watching a universe being born.

JRC

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#120 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

i think it would be more expansive and would eliminate the need for a shit-ton of people to go on there and put their info in to have the bands be the baseline and the members of each band be added. So instead of these are the bands i've been in, it would be these are ALL the members of these bands... then it can branch out to other bands those people have been in as well... i might be talking out my ass.
I still don't have a signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users