250 replies to this topic

#91 Peter

Peter

Shizz Senior Member

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Did we mention The Vanity set aka The Budget Sinatra? Also Braeburn and Camera Obscura aka Mollusk..Somos Huevos Borrachos..Rum Tenor..

Son Huevos Borrachos... Word.
Like it or not, this is a place where we talk about sandwiches.
-Bobby

#92 capthfc

capthfc

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Geoff Orr played with I ate the Sand box (whcih I think was former J.E.W. members)...

this is incorrect.

I Ate the Sandbox was me, jim adkins, eric schulz, and joe copalman
throw the children.

#93 JRC

JRC

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Did anyone mention Breakfast of Champions yet???

By the way Donald I will help you map this all out and get it up on the wall at Trunkspace. We might just want to project it up o the wall maybe in a slide show manner. Or at least that was an idea I just had.

p.s. I still think John from Malakai must narrate.

Awesome, we should figure out when we can collab on this with JRC and Steph

The way this thing is building its going to epic.
We'll need to print this thread out to refer to.

Donald, Steph and I met briefly Tues night, and put down a tentative date: June through August.
We also talked a tiny bit about how its going to go on the wall, string lines to connect stuff, different colors to indicate relationships and types of boxes too.
We're really hoping to make it a largely interactive event from the sound of things.
I think, it looks like we'll be putting together a "skeleton" of the chart, and then have everyone who comes by add to it over the course of the month(s).
Obviously, its going to be complicated, messy, and incomplete--but that’s why its art!
This sounds like its going to be sort of like our annual "Grid" art show where we map downtown PHX w/ photos all across the wall.
We haven' talked about boundaries and guidelines yet, but there's a few months to go before it happens, so it has time to develop.

We're also talking about doing prints and t-shirts to sell & commemorate it.
Maybe some hot sweaty reunion shows?
We are also trying to come up w/ a way to include art from musicians, and/or images/mementos of related things.

Side Note: Some of you know I put out odd non-music CDs.
I am thinking this might be a good project to tie in somehow, an oral history of our scene maybe?
Start piecing together your fuzzy memories: best show ever, turning points, old clubs that aint there anymore, ect . . .

We are really excited about this!
JRC--TTS

65ad9f37c58e7dc65500d82c7596a5c282c67a95      tumblr_pyddfuoAB51u2kqipo1_100.jpg

#94 bunnyeyes

bunnyeyes

Shizz Knight

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

By the way Donald I will help you map this all out and get it up on the wall at Trunkspace. We might just want to project it up o the wall maybe in a slide show manner. Or at least that was an idea I just had.

Donald, Steph and I met briefly Tues night, and put down a tentative date: June through August.
We also talked a tiny bit about how its going to go on the wall, string lines to connect stuff, different colors to indicate relationships and types of boxes too.
We're really hoping to make it a largely interactive event from the sound of things.
I think, it looks like we'll be putting together a "skeleton" of the chart, and then have everyone who comes by add to it over the course of the month(s).
Obviously, its going to be complicated, messy, and incomplete--but that’s why its art!
This sounds like its going to be sort of like our annual "Grid" art show where we map downtown PHX w/ photos all across the wall.
We haven' talked about boundaries and guidelines yet, but there's a few months to go before it happens, so it has time to develop.

We are also trying to come up w/ a way to include art from musicians, and/or images/mementos of related things.

I am thinking this might be a good project to tie in somehow, an oral history of our scene maybe?
Start piecing together your fuzzy memories: best show ever, turning points, old clubs that aint there anymore, ect . . .

JRC--TTS

Sounds like we have alot of work to do : ) I think the spreadsheet idea is a good way to start. Or at least to wrap our heads around it. I need to check out the guidelines too. Sounds like lots of fun. We should be able to dig up alot of old pictures and what not. It will be a hoot. If you all decide on meeting times I will be sure to make it.

#95 degrae

degrae

Shizz Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

I did see a copy of the Red Mountain Comp once, never heard it though!
It's kind of a shame that all those bands functioning at the same time both expanded the audience and pulled the audience away from each other at the same time. West side bands like Bingo Fuel, Lemming Pond , Tri Dot Sap , Soley Duncan and Nuclear 19 (now Property Six) aren't even on this post! They all played out multiple nights weekly and fade into history. Of course you know thirty two leaves, the Tiajuana Poker Sharks (especially good), Brickyard and such west functioning bands never made the rounds with the Easties or the Phoenix Downtown, alot of those tracks are worth a couple listens. P.S. The Sport Model and any Jason Garcia - Mario project were cool.

#96 fatguyaz

fatguyaz

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Geoff Orr played with I ate the Sand box (whcih I think was former J.E.W. members)...

this is incorrect.

I Ate the Sandbox was me, jim adkins, eric schulz, and joe copalman

Posted Image
I still don't have a signature.

#97 badamson

badamson

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

I remember always seeing fliers for a band called "Plinko" presumably named after the mini game on the gameshow "The Price is Right." No idea who was in it though(the band not the show.. which featured bob barker). Also a kid I knew's older brother was in a band called "Dislocated Styles" or something, and he had legally changed his name to "joe boogie." I remember them being fairly popular, sort of a next generation Phunk Junkees. There were a lot of those "rapcore" bands in the late 90's, Projex being another that comes to mind. One cool band was "Digital Free Loner Boy," which had Daggrr(who was then known as Lawrence) and Ryan Breen who is now involved in everything. I can remember another band called "Terror at Sea" which featured film maker "Dicky Bahto"(who was then known as Rick.) Also there was a band called "Girl Repellent," but no idea who was in that.

Way way back in my memory i can remember a Phoenix Ska band, but i can't remember the name of it. They played at atomic cafe and maybe Electric Ballroom.

#98 mothrock

mothrock

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

Okay, some more.

I was in a band with Jim Andreas and Chris Kennedy from Trunk Federation, it was called "down with buildings" we stopped jamming in early 2002 for obvious reasons. On bass was this guy named tim who was in a band called "100 iced animals", Jim and Chris were in a band before trunk federation called "the hoodwinks" , and before that Jim had "brood beast carnival" , we're talking way before my time, I might be totally screwing the names up.

Last I heard, Jim and Chris were doing music with Kimber in "let downright".
you're a signature.

#99 capthfc

capthfc

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:08 AM

there was hupscratch. i saw them with frail among other bands, and the guy that sang most of the songs stopped, then it was fucking thunder, then it was bullyrag aka fucking thunder then it was just bullyrag and they put out that really good cd, then the drummer got married, i think, and john was in fifteen for a minute and then there was financial panther (maybe) for eric, which jeez, there's a band with a big ass tree, then he was in that other band with matt m, (tho kho losi and noreaster were good) that big one on that big metal label, with the girl that was in that SARS band that i saw once and it seemed like there was just a lot of screaming going on, and then eric got bummed and then he was/is(?) in that sweet band with chad.

what about that band bullyrag?

i was just thinking more about the eastside circuit and that one popped up.

this is super interesting!!!!

I joined bullyrag with james fella when john left the band, this only lasted like a year, we formed Hell is for Heroes as a side project with Ben B who does Clew of Theseus and has collaborated with Bastard Noise. Ben quit shortly after getting married and we started financial panther with laura green, james quit to focus on work and stuff and now plays in soft shoulder and tent city. We added Mike Emo who had played with me in a Tho Ko Losi, Suicide Nation, Kareen which was a band with Jeff from Jeremin and Fifteen Minutes Fast, and Black Hell. Landmine Marathon was started as a side project with Eric, Mike, Nick from Unruh and Grace who was in osama bin sars. The band was originally playing minute long songs in the vein of combatwoundedveteran and crossed out, short fast and noisy. Nick left the band after our first tour. We signed to Level Plane records and released our first LP, shortly after the release of the Wounded LP Eric left the band and formed Roman Arms. We brought in Ryan from Unruh, Lyburnum, Withdrawn, Wellington, Uruk hai, NSK, Richard Cranium, Structure of Lies, Mercitron and all that. Ryan joining the band definitely upped the metal output of the band... we have since recorded an ep and our second full length which both were released by Level Plane. Before our second full length Rusted Eyes Awake was released we parted ways with Mike Emo so he could focus on school and training to become a firefighter. He was replaced by Dylan Thomas who is in a band called Epidemic Decay. Landmine Marathon is still a band writing new records and going on some tours fun stuff, check it out kids, far from the "just a bunch of screaming" that bob mentioned... ahh progress. Laura quit Financial Panther after a tour and was breifly replaced by Kevin Bentz from Stereotyperider and The Orange which itself spawned members of The Travelling Will.

crazy

what about 2000 Flushes???

how could you forget your roots? :)
throw the children.

#100 mattm

mattm

Shizz Ninja

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

what about 2000 Phlushes???

how could you forget your roots? :)

2000 Flushes

I try to forget that everyday...

artie went on to pay neuter, the mad caps and tabula rasa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay here is my list for matt m related stuff

2000 Flushes
The Gimps/Gosia446 noise/godheadsilo worship
the A Team w/ Joe Copelman total Earth Worship before Earth worship was cool
Noreaster
Tho Ko Losi
A pain from the groin to the throat
Suicide Nation
The wind makes a mockery of man
Kareen
Hell is for Heroes
Bullyrag
Financial Panther
Landmine Marathon

#101 donald

donald

Sleeveless

• Shizzadmin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

This thread has made me very nostalgic
People don't give a shit, unless it affects them personally, this affects me personally!

Posted Image

Message board?

This is The Shizz.

Chromelodeon manages to get all the furniture from their hotel into the lake a few years back...and people are worried about shizzies?

#102 capharnaum

capharnaum

Shizz Captain

• Shizzified
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

wasn't lb in uber alice?

my history is fairly short and to the point

started in trois pistoles with theo and pete (see tucson: deth or eldona, palm shavers and now lava eaters) crossed over to minibosses for 3 solid years but during that time i found time to join vinfiz (briefly), fatigo and mb's side project you knighted nations and fuck computers. i did fill in on drums for jeremy in hotfoughtcold for one kick ass new times best of gig (our lead in band was pokafase, i mean c'mon!).

#103 Danosaur

Danosaur

Shizz JediMaster

• Shizzified
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

JRC--TTS

Sounds like we have alot of work to do : ) I think the spreadsheet idea is a good way to start. Or at least to wrap our heads around it. I need to check out the guidelines too. Sounds like lots of fun. We should be able to dig up alot of old pictures and what not. It will be a hoot. If you all decide on meeting times I will be sure to make it.

the spreadsheet sounds good. We can set one up to be shared on Google docs so we can all edit and add to it. Also we might want to use a graphic organizer tool like CMAP

#104 unluckycharm

unluckycharm

Shizz Master Zero

• Shizzified
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Way way back in my memory i can remember a Phoenix Ska band, but i can't remember the name of it. They played at atomic cafe and maybe Electric Ballroom.

Kongo Shock? Warsaw?

#105 badamson

badamson

I <3 Lady Gaga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

Kongo Shock? Warsaw?

Yes, it was Kongo Shock I was thinking of!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users